Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Loggah Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Fug, I had heard there were two different length knife style bayonets, and the early style muskets had a different style bayonet, but i dont remember seeing that anywhere. Don

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well I don't have a don't want to sell price as I just don't want to sell end of story at this time in my life
Last year johno, a big bayonet collector passed away and they put his bayonet's up at auctions each year, took four years to sell the 3000 odd lots
my scabbard has no numbers either

One in the hand is better than two in the bush

Graham
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Good stuff mate, did anyone else realize what it was? hope you stole it

Johno

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is from the 1895 catalog
[Linked Image]

Interesting that here they list 3 bayonets that can be ordered
[Linked Image]

Graham
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Johno
Quality remains long after price is forgotten
I paid more than I wanted to. but my friend was sitting next to me ready the hit me if I backed out
I was competing with the Australian buyers

The reason I posted the above pics was that I wondered if there were any sword Bayonets made for the 1895 musket
and to see if anybody had info on the US bayonet and whether these could lead to the confusion on different blade lengths For the MHG rifle

Graham
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The way the 1895 and 1899 musket front end was constructed it appears that it would only accept an angular (socket) style bayonet.

Were bayonets (not referring to the MHG) actually made? I have not seen or heard of one. Fug would be the best person to ask.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to Fug's question, "How many different blades styles did they make and how many different handles did they use on the Home Guard Muskets???????"

Seems I remember one with a longer blood groove...?
An artical referenced a multi (13?) grooved grip thought to be an experimental version.

What's the answer Fug?

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

F
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
F
First I have had several bayonets I could never find a number on any of mine or never seen one with a number

As for the handle I have 2 different style and have seen one more style one is the standard wood one is made of aluminum and the other two I have seen were made of some kind of hard rubber

As for the blades all I have seen were the same length but two different blood grove lengths

I have talked to someone who had 1 angular bayonet I have never seen one myself

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fug, can you clarify..."As for the handle I have 2 different style and have seen one more style one is the standard wood one is made of aluminum and the other two I have seen were made of some kind of hard rubber"?

One is standard wood grip with aluminum. (It appears that the aluminum piece is all one piece that fits around 3 sides of the blade and has an insert for a handle)

Are you saying that the other had the aluminum piece with with hard rubber grips and one was all aluminum?

Rick...

F
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
F
The one I have in front of me has an all Aluminum handle with the correct lock piece looks like the wooden handle but it's metal

the rubber one looked the same as the wooden one but it was rubber maybe bakerlight it sold I think for $50 bucks at auction

the other rubber one I saw was on a table at a show in N.H.

The one I have with the metal handle has the short blood grove hope this helps

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Doug. smile

Rick...

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Anyone got one in the silverware drawer gathering dust? LOL

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If they keep changing the gun laws down here that's all i'll have left
They started by banning all military style semi autos but the laws also included
bolt, lever, pump & semi auto sporting rifles that could be fitted with a mag of more than 10 shot
the govt have paid out over 64 million on the buy back so far
my 99's are safe at present but Henry's, yellow boys, Winchester levers etc that hold more than 10 shots
in the tube have been bent in half
22 pump, semi auto, lever and bolt with tube mags of more than 10 shot are allowed to be fitted with a pin
welded in to reduce the mag to 10 shot

Graham
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
shocked cry mad

Rick...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Any removable magazine rifle can have a magazine that holds more than 10 shots. Just have to build one that fits.

Politicians are stupid all across the world.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sooooooo.

In the 1895 catalog the "303 US Government" is listed as a caliber option that seems to be different than the "303 Savage listings"

Makes me think 30-40 Krag

What that all about?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the " .303 U.S.Gov" is a misprint and should be .30 U.S. (.30-40 Krag) to match the rifles on the earlier page.

AWS was hoping for a government contract. I'm kind of glad he didn't.

Rick...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rick99
I think the " .303 U.S.Gov" is a misprint and should be .30 U.S. (.30-40 Krag) to match the rifles on the earlier page.

AWS was hoping for a government contract. I'm kind of glad he didn't.

Well that kind of what I was thinking as well. He wasn't going to make 1 or 10 30-40's. He needed an order of 1000 to justify a tool up. Would have been interesting though to see some 30-40's. It seems like he thought it would work in his gun if he could have found the business?

Pure speculation on my behalf.

Are there any prototypes of that configuration? Any documentation of trying to go that way?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I wonder if they would've had a .30-40 in the lineup if they would've bothered with the .300? Personally I would've opted for the .30-40.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
99Guy,

If you go to the MiscGoodThings sticky above and go to the bottom part of page three you will find photos of one in the NY Military Trials posting. (Photos by David Royal)

Last edited by Rick99; 11/13/19.

Rick...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't see page 3 in MiscGoodThings sticky or my photo of what we think was the NY guard trials rifle that is at the factory. It's pictured on pages 13 and 14 of my book.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (12344mag, 160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 71 invisible), 3,143 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,533
Posts18,452,975
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.