Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
338rcm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Tired of reloading and looking at factory ammo.Anyone have any luck with the 300 Win Mag Hornady Superformance GMX 165 gr?
Also the new Remington HTP ammo with Barnes bullets looks interesting but havent seen any reports on it yet

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I took one cow with factory ammo in 300 Win. and it was the Superformance GMX 165 gr. The bullet expanded perfect and didn't lose much/any mass. Hard angle shot, went in just in front of the hind quarter and was found in the hide by the front shoulder joint. The bullet went through the stomach which was filled with grass from feeding all night, the diaphragm, took out the off side lunge, broke the shoulder joint and was trapped in the hide. Lots of penetration, good accuracy and manageable recoil. Nosler also makes good factory ammo but its about $10 more a box.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Easy.

Federal Premium 180 grain Partition.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Tried a box of Barnes Vortex 180 TTSX in my 300 Win, and it shot very well. I hand load with the same bullet and wanted to see how the factory ammo preformed in terms of accuracy. Still like my handloads better, but I wouldn't hesitate to take the Barnes factory stuff hunting if I needed ammo. I also tried a box of Hornady Precision Hunter 200 gr ELD-X and my rifle did not like it at all....

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Anything with a 180 Partition, AccuBond, or other premium lead/bonded bullet, or a 150 or 165 class mono like the TTSX, GMX, or E-tip would be perfect for elk. Use whatever one shoots the best in your particular rifle.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I would stick with Federal premium ammo, they have the best assortment of big game bullets especially for a 300 win mag.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've shot a lot of elk size game with the older Barnes 180XBT from the 300WM and only one with the 165X. "To me" I just felt the 180 hit them a bit harder. Not much but a bit. I'm sure the Partition, or other Premium brands do well. Clean your rifle good, then start out with one box of your choice. It may take a couple to several rounds to "foul" the bore. If it doesn't shoot to your standards by 15rds odds are it ain't never! Start over with a clean barrel and different brand...try again. Pay attention to the Lot#. Once you find a brand/weight that suits you, go back to the store and buy 5 or more boxes of the same Lot#. Have a ball!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by boliep

Easy.

Eggzackly!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I would try the Barnes 165 or 180 gr TTSX or Federal Premium’s clone. Or just stick with 180 gr Partitions. I’ve never had a mule deer or elk wander off after a hit from a TTSX in 7mm or .300 Mag. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
when you buy your ammo for the 300 win.mag. that you decide on buy 2 or 3 box`s of the same ammo with the same lot number.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Alex38
Anything with a 180 Partition, AccuBond, or other premium lead/bonded bullet, or a 150 or 165 class mono like the TTSX, GMX, or E-tip would be perfect for elk. Use whatever one shoots the best in your particular rifle.

+1

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Easy.

^^ This

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Why not? If it is accurate.

Oh, come on, you guys! You are "keeping up with the Joneess" with these big shootzenboomers and premium loads. (and yes, I have and use a .338WM)

Elk, no matter the hype, are not "bullet resistant". (if they are- you are doing something wrong). Usually.

I have taken over 20 moose with rounds ranging from .243 , 12 ga slug, to .338WM- mostly with .30-06 C&C 180s. Much bigger than elk, tho some may debate "toughness". Only a couple with premium loads, whether factory or custom.

The one elk I have taken, at about 150 yards, was DRT with a .260 , 140 gr (gasp) factory Corelokt.

Federal Premiums in whatever have always worked well for me, but so have Corelokt factory rounds. Premiums are overhyped, IMO, and experience.

I have whacked better than 75 caribou, with a variety of loads and calibers, and have yet to see a difference in "dead". I will say that the Hornady SP SST generally leaves considerably bigger holes (in .30-06) under 300 yards than over, and this trait is lessoned with the GMX, so if you don't mind copper fouling, the mono-metal GMX may well be the thing for you, if it is accurate in your rifle.

The factory SP SST and GMX do NOT shoot to same POI in 150 gr,, .30-06 as I had read somewhere - at least not in my rifle, which prints both into about 1" at 300 yards. But the Corelokts do the same, at still a different POI.

When I burn thru my remaining SST,s I'l likely go back to Corelokts... I'm pretty much off the monos altogether, but YMMV.

This ain't rocket science - put any reasonably well constructed bullet from any reasonably powered rifle into a critter's vitals and it will die. They won't know if it is C&C or a 3.00 per round mono.

Last edited by las; 05/18/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Here is a link to a 300 Win Mag I have for sale. Check the targets at the bottom of the pictures for accuracy
of my rifle using 180 grain partitions.

https://imgur.com/a/UIiNf

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
If I didn't have an accurate reload for my 300WM with 168gr. TTSX bullets, the 165gr. GMX Superformance load would be at the top of my list to try.

What's not to like? A 165gr. tipped mono at 3200fps + is an elk killin machine!

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've got a two boxes of Hornady ELDx 200 gr I'd sell ya. PM me an offer if interested.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Alamosa

Easy.

^^ This

Yep, I'm with you guys..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
338rcm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Finally made it to the range today,will be shooting the Hornady Superformance 165 GMX. Shoots great in my Tikka and Buddys Measa!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by las
Why not? If it is accurate.

Oh, come on, you guys! You are "keeping up with the Joneess" with these big shootzenboomers and premium loads. (and yes, I have and use a .338WM)

Elk, no matter the hype, are not "bullet resistant". (if they are- you are doing something wrong). Usually.

I have taken over 20 moose with rounds ranging from .243 , 12 ga slug, to .338WM- mostly with .30-06 C&C 180s. Much bigger than elk, tho some may debate "toughness". Only a couple with premium loads, whether factory or custom.

The one elk I have taken, at about 150 yards, was DRT with a .260 , 140 gr (gasp) factory Corelokt.

Federal Premiums in whatever have always worked well for me, but so have Corelokt factory rounds. Premiums are overhyped, IMO, and experience.

I have whacked better than 75 caribou, with a variety of loads and calibers, and have yet to see a difference in "dead". I will say that the Hornady SP SST generally leaves considerably bigger holes (in .30-06) under 300 yards than over, and this trait is lessoned with the GMX, so if you don't mind copper fouling, the mono-metal GMX may well be the thing for you, if it is accurate in your rifle.

The factory SP SST and GMX do NOT shoot to same POI in 150 gr,, .30-06 as I had read somewhere - at least not in my rifle, which prints both into about 1" at 300 yards. But the Corelokts do the same, at still a different POI.

When I burn thru my remaining SST,s I'l likely go back to Corelokts... I'm pretty much off the monos altogether, but YMMV.

This ain't rocket science - put any reasonably well constructed bullet from any reasonably powered rifle into a critter's vitals and it will die. They won't know if it is C&C or a 3.00 per round mono.

That makes to much sense. Exactly what I do except I use Winchester Power Point 180 grain factory ammunition out of my 30/06. I zero my rifle---2" high @ 100 yards & go hunt. FYI---I had to turn in my "Rifle Looney Card"-----got kicked out of the club because it made to much sense.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Easy.

The thread ends here.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (264mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 12 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 721 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,421
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.