Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For me sitting waiting/freezing for a deer to walk past when I lived in PA. I froze as a youngster but it didn't deter me because I loved hunting. First thing I bout when I was gainful employed were Lacrosse shoe packs my brother in law still has/uses them 30 years later. I became a still hunter by choice and hunting for me is now a pleasant stroll (painfully slow) through the mountains of Colorado. I started in PA but it's tough with all of the hunters sitting, kind of messes things up for them. Where I hunt now if I see one hunter a day it's a crowd, love it! As I've aged it is easier to move slower some out of necessity but more really due to experience. I am pretty good at it now, ahh to be young again, I could have taught myself something. No matter, better gear and patience make my deer hunting now much more pleasurable.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by haverluk
SLOBS!

1. Coming across a broken campsite or kill site and having to police and pack out someone else's trash because they were too lazy.

2. Hungover orange clad zombies pulling off the road to take pot shots at the first deer-shaped thing they see.

3. Putting in the hard work to be successful on western public land and having other "hunters" completely disregard the rules/laws and common courtesy.

For example, you humped in eight miles behind a Foot Traffic Only service gate to get away from the day hunters, weekend warriors and #2. The day before on your way in you come across #1 and make a quick cache to pack out on your way down. An hour or so after sunrise you hear multiple ATVs approach the area you are stalking in. As they near the upper edge of the clear cut that you are working, you hear them hollering to each other over the sound of their engines debating the merits of Creedmoor vs Ultra Magnum. They stop on the landing for a quick check of the cut below. They crack a beer and take a smoke break before they pop off a round at a raven in a tree top overhead. Satisfied there is no real game to be shot at they move on to the next clear cut to repeat the process... of course there is no cell service to give law enforcement a heads up and you are too far down to confront them so the cycle repeats itself.

That would have serious repercussions with physical contact upon their faces...We call it “Hunters Re-Education with Fists & Fear”. And, it really works. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Wounding A deer or any animal and not recovering it is the worst.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Everything that follows the shot. Favorite aspect is everything associated with just being out there. I've been known to spend a week or more on hunts where I don't even have a tag. More than happy to just be there.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by driftless
Wounding A deer or any animal and not recovering it is the worst.

There are many valid complaints brought up on this thread (hiking into an ATV area and then having ATVs come cruising along is near the top) but if I had to pick my least favorite, it's hands down losing an animal you've shot.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Not having enough Tags! I think we all could say that. Dealing with and being around "Slob Hunters" is my Pet Peeve.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Hunters.
ATV's
Trespassing
Poaching
Road hunting

Heck, no wonder non hunters don't like us, hell I hate a bunch of "us".

Yeah, know what you're speaking of, don't like it either.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Least favorite part of deer hunting? Thats easy, for Me its Gettin up in the morning 2 1/2 hours before daylight 😩😩😩.......Hb

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Gutting and dragging.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
[

I keep two game bags in the pack. They're just big ass, pillow cases with a drawstring.

I cut down the spine, and cut around the knees and skin that side. The hide gets laid fur side down so I can lay meat on that as well as the game bags. After that the quarters come off and get laid down. Then the backstrap. Then the tenderloin. Bone it out on the game bags or the hide from that side. Throw in game bag #1.

Repeat on other side.

If it's a rack I'm keeping I wrap the cape around its head and take it out whole. I don't fully cape it in the field.

All in the pack, and BAM. Walk out!

Or you could use a sled and drag it which would be about like pulling a little red wagon at that point. No effort.

[/quote]

^^This.^^

Clean, takes surprisingly little time, cools meat fast, nothing to get rid of when you arrive home.

Re the boogeyman of unknown body weight: From experience, I'd bet that the national average weight of a boned out deer will not break 50 lbs. Not many will bone out to 70 lbs. We live and hunt where all but our island blacktails are larger than national average. That said, scale weights of some of our boned out deer have ranged from:

36 lbs. for a Vancouver Island spike;
42, 45, 48 etc. for several average mainland blacktails, (not counting some larger old bucks unweighed);
55-70 lbs. for several mule deer does and fork horns;
mid-60-70 lb. range for some two and three year old big northern whitetails.

And then the BIG ones:
97, 105 and 115 lbs. for huge N. Cascade hybrid mule deer blacktail cross bucks;
120 lbs. for one enormous central British Columbia mule deer. Hard to imagine a deer that big, and they look like a different species.

If you get a monster to pack out, be grateful. For 98% of deer, much easier to carry 40-50 lbs. than drag 120 over logs etc.

A meat packing tale: My grandsons ages 18 and 19 bow hunted a Sept.1 weekend in WA off a popular backpack trail. Lots of yuppie hikers. The boys deliberately left the unskinned lower legs from a buck intact so that each of them had two deer legs with hooves sticking out the top of their packs on the 5 mile trail out. They have backpacked boned out stuff since age 8 but they enjoyed the conversations the deer legs elicited from Seattle folks.

Last edited by Okanagan; 04/30/18. Reason: clarity
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Having to gut and skin one in the dark because it's to warm to let it hang when it's my turn to cook supper.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The season being over.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
1. losing an animal (twice in 33 years of hunting)
2. Frozen hands (all the time below 35 anymore)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Least favorite part of deer hunting? Thats easy, for Me its Gettin up in the morning 2 1/2 hours before daylight 😩😩😩.......Hb

Yup. I'm thinking about giving that part up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe that is just the masochist in me, but I like that part.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Least favorite part of deer hunting?

Finding a deer stand on my land, no IDTag ( required in Maine), no permission.

Similarly, coming across another hunter on my land while I’m out hunting. I ask him to respect the landowners posted signs of “ hunting by landowner written permission only.” They then tell me they “ HAVE written permission from the land owner.”, then get assertive and ask me, “ Who the hell do you think you are? The forest police?” I then quietly answer, “ I am the landowner, and I did not give you written permission to hunt on my land.”

Seems to happen every couple of years. Sad. No respect. My peaceful time in the woods hunting is yanked away from me with treassers. I do give a couple of people written permission to hunt on my land, but it is dated when I will not be there. I pay the taxes on my land, I’m entitled to enjoy the fruits of my labor. It seems to be getting worse.

Last edited by buttstock; 05/03/18.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure I all ready posted on this thread, but another "least favorite" thought comes to mind.

Knowing that all the original members of our camp, including my father are long gone. Time marches on, and the only thing that stays the same, is things change.

Here's to all the camps that lost a member recently, and those who still struggle with the memory of those that went before us to make camp a special place.

We refer to the original members of our camp as The Olde Guard, and are very greatful for the legacy they created for us. Here's to Dad, Bud, Bert, Charlie, and Corely. And to the guys from Camp Bozo across the trail: Ray, Gomer, Ben, Wes, and Tim. Sadly all, gone on now to hunt in a far better place.

The stories from day of yore with these, fine men bring both smiles and tears.

Hang in there boys. We'll hunt together again soon.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Leaving camp and whenever an old timer passes on.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by oulufinn
Leaving camp and whenever an old timer passes on.

In an odd way I enjoy the final clean up and inspection of the camp before closing it. It is a time for personal reflection.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Cleaning and processing the deer.

”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

318 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 10ring1, 2ndwind, 39 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,038
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.