Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Snared a 25-30lb. female coyote last weekend , neck caught but one leg in loop - didn't fight the 12' snare much . I used RWS subsonic HP ammo - shots to the noggin were not penetrating like I thought they would . Had to shoot a few times to my disbelief .

Anybody have this happen ?

The ammo knocks the snot out of squirrels that were destroying my feeders/lights/stands , out walks a big bobtail racoon [25lbs huge for around here] broad daylight 4pm - rws hp to the neck at 22 yards starts rolling on the ground - give him 3 more and he stopped moving. Got up to round up the feeder destroyers and the coon was still alive - rolled around and faced me growling and trying to run . 6 shots total .

I sure erased my thoughts of using a 1,000fps pellet rifle .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
BP-B2

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was a kid, I trapped a lot. I used an old 22 Buffalo Scout pistol. Before FIE bought the name, and what ever Federal ammo was on sale. Back in the day, I could usually find a brick on sale for about $3.00, It always worked.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Back in the day - only the highest velocity ammo was cool .

Never dreamed of shooting a squirrel in the head at 65 yards .

No more subsonic hp for dispatch for me . Kind of posting this as FYI - for your information - just so nobody makes the same mistake I did .

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
We had a Fox under a deck years back, running around trying to bite folks in a neighborhood. We had it cornered pretty good, and thought a sub-sonic to the neck from close range would do the trick. I don't recall how many my friend put into that Fox, but enough that he threw the sub Sonics in the garbage, and used the 835 to dispatch it. They may have a use, but I have better luck dispatching with my RWS .177 .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use CCI 22 Shorts and shoot em in the lungs. Takes about two minutes for them to expire and leaves a .224 sized entrance hole in the hide that you have to turn inside out to find it. Head shots and exit wounds bleed too much..

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I like to lung them too. Used a lot of Remington sub sonic without a problem.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
.22 short to the lungs is the best way to shoot.

I usually put fox and yotes down with chest compression. On a yote, slap it over the nose with my tile spade. This knocks it out for a few seconds. During that time I hit it square in the forehead with my heavy steel trowel. This puts it out for a minute or more. Then press down on the ribcage over the heart with my boot (no stomping, just pressing), and pull up on the hind legs. You can feel the heart stop beating in a minute or so. Quicker on a fox.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by readonly
.22 short to the lungs is the best way to shoot.

I usually put fox and yotes down with chest compression. On a yote, slap it over the nose with my tile spade. This knocks it out for a few seconds. During that time I hit it square in the forehead with my heavy steel trowel. This puts it out for a minute or more. Then press down on the ribcage over the heart with my boot (no stomping, just pressing), and pull up on the hind legs. You can feel the heart stop beating in a minute or so. Quicker on a fox.

I tried to do that with a raccoon and kept slipping off the pudgy little bugger.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I used standard velocity shorts when I trapped.Don't know if they even sell them anymore. Subsonics should work if put in the brain.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Use standard velocity solids for coyote dispatch, CCI Quiets for everything else(rifle). I would stay away from hollow points unless you enjoy sewing up holes.

I spend all my money on loose women and trapping supplies.....The rest I just waste.
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
A 22 solid through the lungs of a wolf works too.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If you're using subsonics out of a handgun that could be your problem.

CCI Quiets (HP type) work well. I would never use an HP if my goal was to brain stuff however.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm surprised. I shoot RWS too, and it's death on raccoons and cats. As a youngster, even got a few deer with it, but only took noggin shots close. I've only recovered one lead chunk from one in my life, one that went stem to stern in an old tough Fox Squirrel. Bullet was a perfect little lead mushroom. Still have it around here somewhere.

If the apocalypse occurred right now, I'd want my little bolt Ruger and all pockets full of RWS subsonics.

Last edited by RedAstrachan; 05/05/18.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I use CCI 22 Shorts and shoot em in the lungs. Takes about two minutes for them to expire and leaves a .224 sized entrance hole in the hide that you have to turn inside out to find it. Head shots and exit wounds bleed too much..

Just do this. It works easy every time.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by deflave
If you're using subsonics out of a handgun that could be your problem.

CCI Quiets (HP type) work well. I would never use an HP if my goal was to brain stuff however.

CZ 455 synthetic suppressed model , Huntertown suppressor , 3x9-32 weaver rimfire classic , loves cci 40 gr. subsonic HP .

[quote=Skunkman]We had a Fox under a deck years back, running around trying to bite folks in a neighborhood. We had it cornered pretty good, and thought a sub-sonic to the neck from close range would do the trick. I don't recall how many my friend put into that Fox, but enough that he threw the sub Sonics in the garbage,

This is exactly how I felt .

Story - more story : I was trapping a swamp that winds on zig-zagging through 2 miles [ as the crow flies ] - so about 3 miles , takes hours to walk the line . Love it .
I was sitting in my shooting house cooking supper after spending most of the day checking snares and hanging more snares .

The coyote met a snare - all hades breaks loose 350 yards up a bushogged lane opposite of where I had just came from . . I'm snacking on something when the coyote vs. the snare fight broke out , wish I had a camera of my face when the sounds started - probably be funny . Anyway jump my tired feet back in my boots , grab the CZ - out the door - cover the distance quick like - eased up when close and spotted the coyote pulling backwards - chewing at the snare . When it spotted me it went crazy - [ tree shaker ] I eased up and looked it in the eyes . Shot it right in the head - just where the top of its muzzle stops - kind of low not exactly between the eyes . I won't go into all the details but after a few shots I was a bit freaked out .

I caught myself heading back to the shooting house to get my 308 - crazy - decided to finish it - reloaded the magazine - shot it somemore . As much as I despise coyotes I felt bad about the extended time it took to dispatch it .

Anyway - solids from now on , might try the lung/heart shot dispatchI do it from 30 yards and not get the critter riled up by approaching close .

Caught a tiny possum next day it acted like a stuffed animal didn't move a muscle with me standing two feet in front of it , same ammo rws , muzzle 1-2'' from head -pop .
Rolled it over - no exit , very little damage skull just had a busted in spot , but dead as a hammer .

Last edited by ol_mike; 05/13/18.

Posted by Bristoe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've killed several hundred coyotes in traps with CB Long solids to the head. I found the HPs tended to cause too much bleeding. The difference was very significant. The same CB Long bullet to the heart works well with little bleeding.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
CCI CB to the head drops cats and coyotes like a hammer....in a Ruger Single Six....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RWS Subsonics work on squirrels for me but doesn't stop them like a high velocity hollow point. Frankly they work about the same as an adult air rifle except actually quieter in my opinion. Super accurate in my rifle but they don't pack a lot of oomph. Headshots on woodchucks are good, body shots and they'll run under the shed. I'll "smell victory" a day or two later.

Dan

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
RWS Hp's are very accurate , but I get the same accuracy with CCI SV HP's - but couldn't find any for a long time .

I'll get some cheap solids for the trapline .

The smell of victory - that's funny - to me - not you .

Posted by Bristoe
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"ve used only super colibri for years. Bobcats, coyotes, fox, coons, possums, skunks, and have yet to have a failure. Fairly close for most of course, and in the head.

For non trapped we carry a suppressed 10-22 and sub sonic CCI HPs or pre frag HPs and tend to body shoot at times, or head shoot. Have never had an issue there either, other than if body hit in the wrong place.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 72 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.