Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 30338
Worst part is my daughter is driving my Tundra around today.....I don't like my odds.

laugh laugh

I didn't have my current truck a month and it got nailed pretty good by hail. Having not been through the process before, I was skeptical as heck on the paintless process.
But when it came time to pick it up I was rather impressed. Serious voodoo skills, those folks.

Good luck with the process.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mudhen
Shortly after my older daughter got married, her car took it in the shorts from a Nebraska hail storm. Her insurance company came through, though. I was up there about a month later and saw that it was still dimpled. She told me that she was just going to drive it that way, and that the insurance money was going for a down payment on a house. They were just waiting for the final approval on the loan.

Ben, that also happened to Doug Kunz, my gunsmith in Albuquerque, whole his truck was parked in his driveway.

Over here in the East Mountains at about 6800' altitude, we get a surprising amount of hail. I leave my 2016 Ram 2500 outside since it won't fit in the garage, but whenever it looks like hail I throw a big tarp over it. So far, so good.

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Anjin
Originally Posted by mudhen
Shortly after my older daughter got married, her car took it in the shorts from a Nebraska hail storm. Her insurance company came through, though. I was up there about a month later and saw that it was still dimpled. She told me that she was just going to drive it that way, and that the insurance money was going for a down payment on a house. They were just waiting for the final approval on the loan.

Ben, that also happened to Doug Kunz, my gunsmith in Albuquerque, whole his truck was parked in his driveway.

Over here in the East Mountains at about 6800' altitude, we get a surprising amount of hail. I leave my 2016 Ram 2500 outside since it won't fit in the garage, but whenever it looks like hail I throw a big tarp over it. So far, so good.

Norm

Throwing a cover on the truck is a pretty good idea. In the late 80's I was a USAF crew chief on T-38's in west Texas. Whenever there was the threat of hail and certain times of the year, we installed "wing covers" on the wings to protect them from damage. They were made from a heavy duty tarp like material with about an inch or so of padding inside and were held on with velcro straps.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Got caught in a real bad hail storm in South Dakota at a rest area where people had pulled in to try and escape being on the interstate with the passing storm....

every vehicle in the rest area got hammered and messed up with all the hail that fell except mine...

was driving a 79 VW Camper, with a fiberglass pop up top on it.. and had my fiberglass canoe on top of that
as we were returning from vacation out in Wyoming....

hail just bounces off of fiberglass...

experienced the same thing with my 88 4 Runner in South Dakota another time...

managed to pull off the freeway underneath an old A & W drive in...then a bunch of bikers heading to
Sturgis pulled in.. so I backed the 4 Runner out far enough to fit them in, where all that was sticking out
on top of the Vehicle was the rear removeable fiberglass tops on those old vehicles...

once again, the hail just bounced right off the top of it...damaging nothing...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Got the 4runner back yesterday and you wouldn't know it was ever damaged. The dentless guys did amazing work on it. Good to go for now and no issues with Nationwide picking up the tab other than the $1000 deductible.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,861
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.