-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Just read the e-ticket for our group of 8 flying from Dulles to Johannesburg with a refuel in Accra. The e-ticket states a Yellow Card is required in South Africa for all passengers going through Accra even if we don’t leave the plane. Travel clinics here in Detroit tell us that is not the case . South Africa consulate website has information that can be interpreted as requiring the Yellow Card for entry. Can any recent travelers that stopped in Accra give me your experience?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why not get the yellow fever injection and good for 10 years.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My daughter spent 6 weeks in Ghana. Had to get all kinds of injections.

I'd just go get it and be down with it.

JMHO

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
The injection is pricey. Not sure if it is because of the shortage of the vaccine or not. $250 per person plus the appointment at the travel clinic $75 each. $2600 for the group for an injection that may not be required. Has anyone here on the forum flown from Dulles to Johannesburg recently? What is your experience?

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We are going to Zambia in June. When I checked last year at the time of setting the trip up. SA required the card, even though Zambia is not listed as required. As we are traveling through SA, we started working on the arrangements. Closest clinic for us in was 400 miles away.

Checking on the requirements before the appointment, the requirement was dropped from SA for us traveling to Zambia.

We got the vaccination anyway, not because of medical science requirements, but because of Government rules in SA that can change with a wind direction.

My advice would be to get the vaccination and be done with it.

Arcus Venator
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
County health departments give the shots pretty cheaply. That’s where I got mine

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by jdollar
County health departments give the shots pretty cheaply. That’s where I got mine

+1

Conduct is the best proof of character.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
County health departments may not have access to the current yellow fever vaccine. The vaccine approved for the US is unavailable at the moment. We received the European version which is the exact same thing, just not approved in the US. We are now part of a study, which was the only way to get the vaccine available in the US.

The have given over 100,000 of the European vaccines in the US from what our Doc was telling us.

Sanofi Pasteur is changing manufacturing facilities and the last US batch they produced in the old facility did not meet specs.

Arcus Venator
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
Why not get the yellow fever injection and good for 10 years.

Now good for life for most countries.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My wife and daughter wanted to accompany me on one of my trips to Africa. I sent them to my flight surgeon and my wife questioned whether she needed a yellow fever shot. He simply asked her whether she wanted the inoculation from him with a sharp clean needle or from a local African doctor at customs with a dull used needle because the rules were changed without notifying anyone. Check the CDC website. There is a whole page of reasons certain people should not get a yellow fever shot.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 62 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,761
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.