Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Reloder28
The bag sounds simple. But, I would not eat anything from hot plastic!

Some of the nerds on one of the backpacking sites did an in depth write up on it. They looked at all the materials and evaluated the safety of cooking in bags. Their conclusion was the name brand Ziploc Freezer Bags were safe. Other brands had a slightly different composition and weren't safe. It was convincing enough for me. I repackage my MH meals into quart bags to get the right portion size and to save weight and space.

Last edited by LSU fan; 05/15/18.
BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Google freezer bag cooking. Book "Freezer Bag Cooking" by Sarah Svien has great recipes. Save the cost of freeze dried meals. Everything you need is in the grocery store if you are are not concerned about long term storage.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bobmn
Google freezer bag cooking. Book "Freezer Bag Cooking" by Sarah Svien has great recipes. Save the cost of freeze dried meals. Everything you need is in the grocery store if you are are not concerned about long term storage.

This book is currently available on Amazon for $990.51. FREEZER BAG COOKING

Last edited by Rock Chuck; 05/16/18.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
problem of cooking in tents is not asphyxiation but residual food odors that can attract furry visitors. I adhere to the triangle of cooking and eating area, latrine area and sleeping area. Store food 150 yards from tent with two locations for backup.

Soto ODR-1 for me with ti cup for most hunting and I have most stoves.

I have moved to a jetboil Minimoto for last 4 years because you can simmer. This allows you to cook game meat. Its worth it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I love the cheap china made little stoves in the orange plastic case that hook to canisters. Can be found on ebay for less than $20 bucks to the house.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jeeper

I love the cheap china made little stoves in the orange plastic case that hook to canisters. Can be found on ebay for less than $20 bucks to the house.

Agree. While having an MSR, SnowPeak and Optimus 8R, gotta say my little China canister stove is excellent for $13.88 shipped!

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Agree. While having an MSR, SnowPeak and Optimus 8R, gotta say my little China canister stove is excellent for $13.88 shipped!

X2-normally use a snow peak giga but bought the cheap Chinese one off eBay for $5 (with piezo ignition) and it's been flawless.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have the Optimus Crux, been very impressed with it so far.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Rock Chuck: Amazon Prime has it for $14. Where in the world did you find that posting? Your Google must be different than mine.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I searched on google for "freezer bag cooking svien" and one of the hits was this amazon link. If I enter the same search directly on Amazon, I get several hits. I do get the $14 one but I also get the $990 one. I sent Amazon an incorrect info notice. Usually when I do that, they'll respond but they haven't this time.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I will sell you my copy at half price - $450. I will pay shipping.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have a msr pocket rocket. It works well. I had one of the ones that go on the top of propane and used a jetboil of a buddies. The msr is my favorite so far.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
msr pocket rocket flat out works... also jetboil gets it done.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
MSR Windburner here. About a 1 pound plus fuel. It's compact and real stingy with the fuel because it heats water very fast.

I was in camp a couple of years with some guys that were using a pocket rocket style stove and the time difference between it boiling water and the Windburner boiling water made a lasting impression.

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Like the 4-Dog stoves... their 3 versions of Titanium Bushcookers are about all one needs, $105, $75, and one at $35. Light weight, can use just about any type of fuel.

Phil

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by bobmn

Don't have the book but I don't get real fancy with cooking. The majority of my hiking is on the App trail and I resupply from grocery stores in trail towns. Instant potatoes and "Knorr pasta sides" combined with Tuna in flexi pouches are pretty much the gold standard for availability. Red chili powder and Mrs. Dash to make things edible. It's not good, not even up to MRE standards, way below Mountain House etc. The noodles are always going to be undercooked and chewy and there's only so many flavors. I repackage the Knorrs into the freezer bags before leaving town. Some people make their own freeze dried meals and mail them ahead for pickup at post offices. It helps to put the freezer bag meal in some sort of insulator while it's preparing, pretty much a hot/cold bag you'd get from a grocery store, a beer coozie, or your sleeping pad if you use a foam pad. Perks of this setup are you don't have to eat where you cook (or sleep) and your stationary cooking time only consists of the time it takes to boil water.

Last edited by InternetGuru; 07/28/18.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Me, I use a small little canister wood burner. Has a fan in the bottom with one C battery. Cooked a meal for 4 once, one fry pan, tatters, peas, ham. Used about 12-15 pine cones. With the pan on top there's a small opening to put sticks, cones, whatever burns, with the fan on high it's like a mini forge, on low nice steady heat, can't remember the make??? Made a stainless one at work one or two shifts. Its a bit heavier but is more stable. Other wise use the same one Rock Chuk put up, mines older & the Cary tin it fits in is a pot, & the top is a smaller pot !!! 🐾👣🐾👣🐾👣

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve had a snow peak gigapower for about twenty years and it gets used the most. Even thaws frozen triggers...[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have been on backpack Elk hunts with a Coleman Peak 1 that I bough at Wal Mart for under $25 and it performed as well as my friends backpacking stove from MRS costing much more. It truly is a lot of bang for the buck.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Sounds like the BRS my wife bought. Pretty much a miniturized Pocket Rocket... I was skeptical but the TINY little sucker works great.

If it's cold I still use the MSR Whisperlite Intl I've had since the late 80's. Just replaced a few O-rings on it... canister stoves can be challenged by cold. I just sleep with the canister in my bag which is fine in normal conditions, but doesn't help on a really cold elk huntin day.

My wife has been coming up with home made backpacking meals that she then wraps in waxed paper bags. I was skeptical at first but it works great and your trash is then burnable. Pretty slick. We rehydrate either in our Minimalist cups or in the above mentioned ziploc bags. Cuts way down on the trash compared to say Mountain House or the like.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
685 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.