Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I am not a big fan of blind magazines but that Kimber Mountain Ascent felt great .

I agree about the blind magazine, but damn those rifles are trim and svelte as hell and the tacky dura-touch type finish feels fantastic, I have never handled a lightweight bolt action rifle that feels quite as good as a Kimber Mountain Accent......Hb

BP-B6

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I am not a big fan of blind magazines but that Kimber Mountain Ascent felt great .

I agree about the blind magazine, but damn those rifles are trim and svelte as hell and the tacky dura-touch type finish feels fantastic, I have never handled a lightweight bolt action rifle that feels quite as good as a Kimber Mountain Accent......Hb

Enabler on steroids grin

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I would just order the gages from Brownell's. The check is very simple.
MM879

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V

Enabler on steroids grin

🙄......No way, not me......Hb

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Enabler on steroids grin

🙄......No way, not me......Hb

I'm going to have to put you on ignore. You will bankrupt me grin

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

X3

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Happy to hear you got a shooter Hb.

That 30-06 Subalpine or Ascent would be a nice complement. smile

FÃœCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Happy to hear you got a shooter Hb.

That 30-06 Subalpine or Ascent would be a nice complement. smile

I agree 100% Whelen a Subalpine would make a superb Mtn Rifle second to none, I am calling Reeds tomorrow for price/availabilty on a Subalpine in 30-06, I may have to try another spin at the wheel 🤔.......Hb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If there is a slight imperfection you can just polish the chamber a smidge. If it groups well I would NOT send it to Kimber...no way no how...

Otherwise it’s just a snug chamber. Not a huge issue. Same as Mathman I have a factory 308 that will tell if new brass is a little long. No biggy!

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I had this Kimber to the range again today and it is certainly accurate, hell I pounded it again, It was 85 degrees and I shot 5 straight 3 shot groups (zero cooling time...that bitch was hot!) with 4 different factory ammo's and every group was less than MOA.....I was very impressed to say the least, I dont think I have ever owned a rifle that shoots as good as this one does with a scalding hot barrel....I am definitely going to polish out the burr in the chamber but the jury is still out on whether I do anything to address the super tight chamber....(it is a pain in the azz) .....Hb

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Went out today also with the Roberts,75 degrees,hot barrel 3 shot's 90gr Sierra's [Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Worse case, you might have to carry a ramrod.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by sqweeler
Went out today also with the Roberts,75 degrees,hot barrel 3 shot's 90gr Sierra's [Linked Image]

Ha! Looks like your rifle likes a hot barrel too.....Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I had My Smith check the chamber on the this rifle with Go/ No Go inserts and it checked out fine, I told him to polish out the burr in the chamber and all will be well.....This guy is slow but he does excellent work, so I might see My rifle again by July or so...Lol....Hb

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It has been a while, but as I recall difficult extraction was not uncommon with WSM ammo.

Early on it was loaded to the gills.

Doesn't explain why you would have difficulty chambering factory rounds, but since the headspace is good I expect you'll have no problems once the smith is through.

FÃœCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah, Me and My buddy got his Micrometer out and started measuring the length of factory cartridges and I was surprised at how much the lengths of individual cartridges varied even out of the same box of ammo, Id say most factory rifles account for this with chambers that are on the larger end of spec.........Hb

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Id say most factory rifles account for this with chambers that are on the larger end of spec.........Hb

Rifle manufacturers try to keep the headspace at the minimum SAAMI spec to avoid upsetting owners who have been told that nothing else will do. For that reason, ammunition manufacturers want to maintain the headspace of loaded ammo .005" below the max SAAMI allowable so that it will fit in a chamber cut to minimum SAAMI dimensions.

It's good to hear that your 300 WSM is shooting well. I have an 8400 WSM Montana chambered in 300 WSM that was a shooter from day one, but I figured I'd try a 6.5 PRC barrel on that rifle which is working out quite well and proving to be lots of fun.

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nice. I could do all of the hunting I plan with my very accurate 270 Win Montana and stainless M70 375 H&H Mag.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by EdM
Nice. I could do all of the hunting I plan with my very accurate 270 Win Montana and stainless M70 375 H&H Mag.

Oh yes, you could easily hunt the world with those 2 cartridges......Hb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice! I love a happy ending Kimber story.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
336 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,729
Posts18,400,838
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.