Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Here to bother you all again. I passed on the j.c. Higgins. But I think this is a pretty nice rifle. What do you think the value is? It's tough to find info on it. I posted pictures in the image gallery. Thank you again gentleman! Below is the listing.

For Sale: Husqvarna Vapenfabriks 270 Win bolt action rifle. This is from the early 1960's and has the Redfield 3-9 TV scope on it. My uncle is the original owner. Mauser action, great shooter. The very tip of the stock has a chip in it, see in pictures. Probably happened decades ago. Some minor handling marks in the stock, but the wood is quite nice, walnut. This will come with a box of ammo. Serial number starts with 1788xx

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RelaxedGuy
Here to bother you all again. I passed on the j.c. Higgins. But I think this is a pretty nice rifle. What do you think the value is? It's tough to find info on it. I posted pictures in the image gallery. Thank you again gentleman! Below is the listing.

For Sale: Husqvarna Vapenfabriks 270 Win bolt action rifle. This is from the early 1960's and has the Redfield 3-9 TV scope on it. My uncle is the original owner. Mauser action, great shooter. The very tip of the stock has a chip in it, see in pictures. Probably happened decades ago. Some minor handling marks in the stock, but the wood is quite nice, walnut. This will come with a box of ammo. Serial number starts with 1788xx

Two things you may want to consider, first is link the pictures, second is if you want an opinion as to value then you may want to share the price asked.

As to the rifle, I wouldn't say no if I wanted a good reliable rifle to hunt.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Definitely need to see pics. Husqvarna made several bolt guns in that era.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That serial number would most likely make it built on the 1600/1640 action. DOM 1955.

Pics would help.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Looks like a 1640. They are nice rifles.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

A lifetime investment, I wouldn't feel bad about owning it.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe they call that model the 1640MC (Monte Carlo).

Yes, nice rifles. Inspect the stock behind the rear tang as they are prone to splitting here if shrinkage or improper bedding have caused wood to metal contact there.

I have more than a few and enjoy them all. The .270 was a less common chambering.

Last edited by z1r; 05/14/18.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
That's a 1640, a commercial small-ring Mauser made by Husqvarna. (Some of their large-ring rifles were made on unmarked FN actions.) They're one of the finest small-ring Mausers going, and are a great basis for a lightweight hunting rifle.

Off the top of my head:
1. These rifles came with 20.5", 22", and 24" barrels.
2. Husqvarna chambered them for several cartridges. 30-06 is by far the most common, with 270 in second place.
3. The ejector spring is a little leaf spring that's held in place by a screw. As the screw gets loose, which it will, ejection gets weaker and eventually stops. Tighten the screw and it comes right back.
4. The safety can also start to slip. It has a leaf spring like the ejector, so make sure it's tight, too. LocTite is your friend on these.
5. These rifles had two styles of bottom metal that are not interchangeable. The early ones were steel with a folded metal spring to hold the floorplate shut. Later ones are alloy with a button to hold them shut. Yours is an early one.
6. As z1r mentioned, they kick out of their stocks. Get it glass bedded by someone who knows what he's doing, and make sure he leaves a relief cut behind the tang.
7. Your rifle has the factory Mauser trigger. It needs an aftermarket trigger. Thank me later.
8. This rifle will probably shoot very well with cheap factory ammo.
9. I find the stock geometry on these rifles to be just about ideal for fast offhand shooting, but you'll need to get your scope into low rings to take advantage of it.
10. You're missing the elevator for the rear sight.

The Finns and the Swedes make darned good hunting rifles. You'll enjoy this one.

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
So what is it worth? He wants 475

Last edited by RelaxedGuy; 05/14/18.
IC B3

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd pay $475 for that before I'd pay $475 for the majority of the Higgins 50's I come across. I paid a tad more for this one in .30-06 and was quite happy.

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Rifle around $400. Scope $50ish. So yes, he is about right.

But for sure check the tang area, replacement stocks are hard to come by and if you plan on hunting with it replacing the trigger a good idea.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd give $475 for it. If you don't like the scope, you could probably sell it on eBay for about $100.

I like the Husqvarna 1600 series actions and think that Husqvarna made first class rifles, better looking and lighter than most comparable American-made long action bolt action rifles.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The cheapest I've got a Husqvarna was 500 bucks.....and well worth every penny. They are my favorite!

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
All good advice, Okie John detailed it nicely!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Thanks, patbrennan.

Yeah, I'd go $475 on that one.

Okie John

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That's a 1640, a commercial small-ring Mauser made by Husqvarna. (Some of their large-ring rifles were made on unmarked FN actions.) They're one of the finest small-ring Mausers going, and are a great basis for a lightweight hunting rifle.

Off the top of my head:
1. These rifles came with 20.5", 22", and 24" barrels.
2. Husqvarna chambered them for several cartridges. 30-06 is by far the most common, with 270 in second place.
3. The ejector spring is a little leaf spring that's held in place by a screw. As the screw gets loose, which it will, ejection gets weaker and eventually stops. Tighten the screw and it comes right back.
4. The safety can also start to slip. It has a leaf spring like the ejector, so make sure it's tight, too. LocTite is your friend on these.
5. These rifles had two styles of bottom metal that are not interchangeable. The early ones were steel with a folded metal spring to hold the floorplate shut. Later ones are alloy with a button to hold them shut. Yours is an early one.
6. As z1r mentioned, they kick out of their stocks. Get it glass bedded by someone who knows what he's doing, and make sure he leaves a relief cut behind the tang.
7. Your rifle has the factory Mauser trigger. It needs an aftermarket trigger. Thank me later.
8. This rifle will probably shoot very well with cheap factory ammo.
9. I find the stock geometry on these rifles to be just about ideal for fast offhand shooting, but you'll need to get your scope into low rings to take advantage of it.
10. You're missing the elevator for the rear sight.

The Finns and the Swedes make darned good hunting rifles. You'll enjoy this one.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thank you again gentlemen, I made an offer but was too late. I really do appreciate the information and help!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

693 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 73 invisible), 3,043 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,209
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.