Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
I have a stash of old American Riflemen from the 40's... Sarber wrote a number of articles in them and sounds like a fascinating man... I know he was lost, his boat was found, but his body never recovered.. Just wondered if there are any books about his life and hunting..

Molon Labe
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep searching the internet for this guy. He was the real deal when it came to big bears up close in thick stuff. I personally think poachers did him in, whether commercial fisherman or who ever. But, I have no proof either way other then him being a competent shot and very bear savvy. In spite of all of that, a bear could of got him and dragged him in to the thick stuff.

Back when he was a warden many commercial fishermen considered bears, wolves, seals, belugas, eagles and dolly varden competition and had no qualms about shooting them when they had the chance. Part of this mind set was because of the mismanagement of Alaska's resources during the Territory Days. Many of the species I named had a bounty on them.

I consider him as good as any one who ever lived when it comes to dealing with a pissed off coastal brown bear. Whether he was packing his 30-06 and 220 grain soft points or one of his many .375 H&H rifles. That coastal jungle he roamed for years with the many big beasts inhabiting the area, would test any ones character, skills and bear knowledge. He is an Alaskan legend and was one to "ride the river with".

My father-in-law was a Deputy U.S. Marshall during the Territory Days and spent time in Sitka when he was in the Alaska State Legislature. He spoke of Hosea Barber and many of the things that took place in Alaska with the fish and game. Some of it was down right ugly because of commercial interests.

Damn, I wished I had known Hosea....................

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
That makes 2 of us.. Thanks for the reply!!

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Do you happen to have any information on the rifles he used??? I have an old article on the big .22's he used for shooting seals etc.. He mentioned the 06 and .270 in another, and I have still another when I can find it and it show s some of his fine custom rifles... Thanks..

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just remember my father -in-law saying Sarber was a real bear man an a reputed crack shot. Popping bobbing seal heads out of a skiff is no easy task. The only guys I knew that hunted seals for bounty were Harold Seater and Allen Hennessy. They used a .222 Remington and Hennessy used it on goats, sheep and black bear. Hennessy and Martin Gorrison from Seward live trapped goats with nets and beagles and transported them to Kodiak back in the day. I remember seeing slides of one big billy in the basement of a 4-plex Hennessy owned in Anchorage.

There is an old article on the internet by the "Juneau Empire" about him and he is mentioned in a book I have called "No Room for Bears". He was alleged to have owned nine Mod. 70 .375 H&H rifles along with a bunch of other stuff and felt his hand loads were far superior to factory loads and thought a properly loaded .270 Win and 30-06 were plenty of gun for Alaska.

He also wrote articles for the American Riflemen from 1948 to 1951, which was before my time. His head stone is on the internet and has a rifle and bear head on it, how cool is that! His son is listed as dying in 2015.

Keep looking guys.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Besides the Sharber articles in the NRA magazines, Jay P Williams wrote a fantastic book, Alaskan Adventure, that describes a number of adventures he and Sharber experienced.
Used books are easy to find online and pretty cheap as well

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
458, Thanks I will check this out...

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 458Win
Besides the Sharber articles in the NRA magazines, Jay P Williams wrote a fantastic book, Alaskan Adventure, that describes a number of adventures he and Sharber experienced.
Used books are easy to find online and pretty cheap as well

Great information. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both men also were fans of 1903 Spfld sporters and Jay carried a Wundhammer!

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What is this guy's last name? Some say Sarber or Barber or Sharber.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sarber, I know a few Arizona Sharbers and he certainly wasn't one of them

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ok, thanks.

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
458, When I was a kid 60 years ago, I read all I could about firearms.. Wundhammer is a name I have long forgotten til you mentioned it..

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Was looking for NO ROOM FOR BEARS by Williams... No luck on Amazon, any tips on where to find it??

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No Room For Bears was not by Jay Williams.
The book written by Jay P Williams is titled ALASKAN ADVENTURE
It was copyright 1952 and the forward written by Don Martin and preface by Townsend Whelen

Hosea Sarber and Jay Williams worked closely and their stories are great.

I remember reading that Hosea owned a 375 but claimed he had more faith in his 30-06.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks!!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
WCH, try the website addall.com. I found many copies of No Room For Bears by Frank DuFresne starting at $1.00 and going up to $158.49. Addall.com searches many book finding sites at once. Good luck!

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Thank you I will check this out!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 280fan
WCH, try the website addall.com. I found many copies of No Room For Bears by Frank DuFresne starting at $1.00 and going up to $158.49. Addall.com searches many book finding sites at once. Good luck!

Adall sucks!

I have spent lots of money there!
wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was just re reading Big Game in Alaska by Morgan Sherwood and it has quite a few pages in it about Hosea Sarber.
It is a fairly detailed read that I enjoy, but hardly what most folks call light reading.
I am sure it is still in print
Copyright 1981 Yale University press and available from UAF press in Fairbanks

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,894 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,525
Posts18,452,829
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.