Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by laker
Well it’s the off season and I can’t seem to make my mind up. I’ve got a great shooting 6.5-06 that I’ll be using for deer and antelope and windy day coyotes, a 223 for my fur rifle. Only thing I’m missing now is a dedicated elk rifle. So since I can’t seem to decide what I want to go with I figured I’d see if you guys can give me any ideas on what to build or buy. I’ll be using it to shoot steel out to 900 yards all summer just like the 6.5-06 and when I’m elk hunting my ranges are from in your lap to as far as the eye can see. What do you guys think

Tho 900 is stretching it.....”no question”, a .338 WM! memtb

I love my 338wm too, but the guys suggesting a fast 7 are making a lot of sense as well... I'm kind of hanging on to my 7wsm for a longer range rifle, myself. The op wants to be "different", why not a 7STW??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by trplem
Go forth and purchase a 7 WSM. Finding the brass for it will show you what a fine line it is between different and stupid. In my defense the M70 was new in box and $400...

Do you own a FL sizing die for it?

Yep, and a good supply of both 7 and 300 wsm brass. The former is used to make up hunting ammo. The later is my choice for range use after setting a false shoulder and CoW fireforming. With periodic annealing these cases last a long time. 300 is also a lot easier to get than the 7 brass.

Moment of truth time-I'd not have bothered with the 7wsm had the rifle not been so inexpensive. It doesn't do anything other than fit into a medium length action that can't be done as well with a 7mm RM. One of these cartridges will still be readily available (re head down and pick it up at Fleet/Farm) 20 years from now, and it isn't Winchester's offering. While this isn't a problem for me, it may be for the rifles next owner AKA my 7 year old cousin. Chances are he'll be a rifle loony, girls aren't in the picture yet, though, so who can say.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Keep it classic with a 300 H&H

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
if you dont want another mashburn...........a big 300 of some sort

lots of high bc bullets to play with......there is a reason some of the military units have gone 300 win for their sniper rifles

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I suspect that you are a horse guy from your picture and if the horse gets to carry the rifle instead of you, then you can go with a bigger, heavier rifle. My Wyoming elk shooting buddy likes his .300 WM and another guy who had a .338 WM liked that a lot, but made the mistake of getting a .338 RUM and it was too much of a good thing. I did just fine with my 7# 7mm RM because I had to carry the rifle and the recoil was tolerable from a lighter weight rifle. There is a perfectly good reason why the 7mm RM is as popular a magnum cartridge as it is, it just flat out works. Boring I know, but it will be around next century when nearly no one can remember a Mashburn or STW 7mm. Lots of us rifle loonies are getting gray around the muzzle and not willing to trek up a mountain after an elk any longer. Thus we have some very respectable custom rifles already built up and sitting in the safe just looking for a better home. In your place, I'd be watching the classified sections.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

442 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 50 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,319
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.