358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by 358wsm
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
If I were to do it over I'd just go with the 375 H&H.

I've had two 9.3x62's, one an AHR CZ and the other a Mauser 98 FN. Nice rifles, liked them both, but now just have a SS NH M-70 Classic .375 H&H with flutted 21" barrel an other custom touches.

My thinking, the .375 H&H is about as universal as they come and can be loaded to do anything the 9.3 can do, plus some.

IMO.

DF

I am listening... grin

OK, guess I can pimp the .375 H&H... grin Overly heavy factory barrel chopped and fluted. Balances perfectly and is about the right weight, IMO, for a big gun, carries well, points fast. This is my only big gun, a keeper. Tupperware isn't that cool, but it's tough and you don't have to worry about scratching it. It's a using gun, not a show piece. I did rip out the factory hot glue bedding, Steel Bedded it. Tuned the factory trigger to a perfect 3#. Big scope is a 1.5-6x42 Victory, pushes wt. slightly over 9#'s. Lighter scope, like VX-3 1.5-5x20 will take it slightly under 9#'s. I don't want a .375 H&H much lighter than that... shocked

[Linked Image]

Geewizz Dirt, that's beautiful.!

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
If I were to do it over I'd just go with the 375 H&H.

I've had two 9.3x62's, one an AHR CZ and the other a Mauser 98 FN. Nice rifles, liked them both, but now just have a SS NH M-70 Classic .375 H&H with flutted 21" barrel an other custom touches.

My thinking, the .375 H&H is about as universal as they come and can be loaded to do anything the 9.3 can do, plus some.

IMO.

DF

I am listening... grin

OK, guess I can pimp the .375 H&H... grin Overly heavy factory barrel chopped and fluted. Balances perfectly and is about the right weight, IMO, for a big gun, carries well, points fast. This is my only big gun, a keeper. Tupperware isn't that cool, but it's tough and you don't have to worry about scratching it. It's a using gun, not a show piece. I did rip out the factory hot glue bedding, Steel Bedded it. Tuned the factory trigger to a perfect 3#. Big scope is a 1.5-6x42 Victory, pushes wt. slightly over 9#'s. Lighter scope, like VX-3 1.5-5x20 will take it slightly under 9#'s. I don't want a .375 H&H much lighter than that... shocked

[Linked Image]

Geewizz Dirt, that's beautiful.!

Beautiful...? blush

More like functional and IMO, about an optimal combination of balance, weight, etc.

Maybe it was Forrest Gump who said, "Pretty is as pretty does".

From that stand point, maybe it is beautiful.

To me a Biesen rifle is beautiful... grin

DF

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
While beautiful might not be the word I’d choose for a Stainless/synthetic rifle either, its interesting what people find appealing. I’m definitely in the function over form camp when it comes to firearms. While a blued rifle with beautiful wood might be “pretty”, I really have no use for it. I’ll certainly open my wallet to spend money for increased durability, performance, or reliability, but aesthetics fall pretty low on my list of priorities.

I see a Biesen firearm as a piece of artwork, not a working rifle. As such it seems like a frivolous expense and pretty useless, which in tern makes it pretty unappealing. I certainly have friends and family who take great pleasure and satisfaction in “having” while I find that same pleasure through “using”. For me, if it doesn’t get used it’s just more clutter and down the road it goes.

Not picking on anyone, just thinking out loud a little. Sorry for getting off topic.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
grin

I understand exactly what you're saying, feel the same way.

I've traded some really pretty guns that were too nice to hunt.

I traded for this Len Brownell 7RM on a Champlin action. It was used a good bit, was not mint. So, I could enjoy it more than if it was 100%. I don't have that many "museum quality" guns, mostly using guns.

Sorta deviating from the OP's question, but backing up your statement with an example.

DF

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
We started getting these in Oz back in the 1980's and I never met anyone who thought down on them after using it.
I personally would use it and simply pack the ammo in different bags so if something got lost, so what!
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B2

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ykrvak
While beautiful might not be the word I’d choose for a Stainless/synthetic rifle either, its interesting what people find appealing. I’m definitely in the function over form camp when it comes to firearms. While a blued rifle with beautiful wood might be “pretty”, I really have no use for it. I’ll certainly open my wallet to spend money for increased durability, performance, or reliability, but aesthetics fall pretty low on my list of priorities.

I see a Biesen firearm as a piece of artwork, not a working rifle. As such it seems like a frivolous expense and pretty useless, which in tern makes it pretty unappealing. I certainly have friends and family who take great pleasure and satisfaction in “having” while I find that same pleasure through “using”. For me, if it doesn’t get used it’s just more clutter and down the road it goes.

Not picking on anyone, just thinking out loud a little. Sorry for getting off topic.

No worries about topic. I've been a bit off it myself.

I feel the same.
My truck is no beauty, but it's a horse and it's reliable. Most of the time grin

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My truck is no beauty, but it's a horse and it's reliable. Most of the time grin

Sometimes I get criticized for not washing my truck.

My comment, "Ever see anyone brushing a mule?".

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got rid of the 350 Rigby I built after a hunt on Montague.

[Linked Image]

Too heavy, too much rust, and I left a chunk of the stock somewhere over there. Gave up 25 gr of bullet weight to get a ss 350 rem mag with the same velocity, less weight and something I don't mind banging around.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ykrvak

I’m in the same boat as you but I sure do appreciate the beautiful works of art that is a finely crafted firearm, I don’t own any though. Stainless and Tupperware works for my needs and I’m a pretty practical guy, prone to impulsiveness at times. I guess that’s why I should sell the 4 boxes of Hornady .375 Ruger. 😁

My main rifle is a stainless .308 and my “big” gun is a stainless.338. My stainless 45-70 is a camp gun, fishing companion and field gun as the situation requires.

I have dozens of more but those are the 3 I reach for. I’m screwing around with.280Rem right now and it might become a truck gun. It’s a 740 Amish machine gun but I already mentioned my impulsiveness and that impulsiveness often is nothing more than foolishness. 😁

We’ll see. It’s in fantastic shape for its age so I’m not sure if that’s a good sign or not. 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have bought a few boxes from granite view sports in Delta Jct. but it was $60.00 per box. I have a 550 fs and a Tikka forest.
Erich

At some point my hobbies became my life.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't think its cheap anywhere.... Where we in Delta already I'd load you some up.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
N
N
I can’t tell if a rifle is beautiful until it’s been against my shoulder.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
...and proves to cluster bullets adaquately cool

Welcome to the 'fire Norm.!

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
1AK shooter: " I saw how many box's of wet news paper he was shooting them through with the 286 grain Barnes X bullets."

How does it do on angry, charging newspaper? smile

Got my smartass hat on... as usual.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las
1AK shooter: " I saw how many box's of wet news paper he was shooting them through with the 286 grain Barnes X bullets."

How does it do on angry, charging newspaper? smile

Got my smartass hat on... as usual.

Patriots get attacked by angry New York Times, quite often. wink

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Never have paid too close attention to what's popular in AK, concerning who shoots what caliber. I've been hunting with a 9.3x62 mauser since about 2006. Quite a few years ago, I think 2013? I visited Ted in Whitehorse, talking about all his 9.3x62 hunts. Was driving an old right hand drive HJ61 Toyota Landcruiser back to Alaska from Vancouver. It was imported from Japan.

Anyhow, this year I caught two bull caribou an ah 40" racked bull moose with the old 9.3. The caribou, was a light hand-load using the CZ open sights: 286 grain PRVI bullets and PRVI brass, 60 grain of alliant mr-2000 @ 2300 fps. One good fat bull, bout 350 yds away, climbed outta the brush and was in full trot cross an open bench. Sure did wish I had a scope, but couldn't pass him up, as I wasn't seeing much caribou. I began taking aim, shooting on the running shot. I missed about 4 times trying to lace a bullet in between patches of brush. Had one shot left, just as he was about to drop into the brush at the end of this steep bench, that one rang true. By then he was in a full run, so slid hard. Man my heart was pounding.

Next caribou, young bull right behind tent. Took off my shoes and snuck within 20 yds of him.

Few days later, missed a 60 incher I called into right into camp at evening time, low low low light! I tried shooting through the brush that he wouldn't leave, a mere 50 yds away. Bullet didn't touch em. He found a game trail in that thick brush and ran away like ah greyhound! Had heart ache over that for days.

Few days later, called a 40 incher into camp. Only problem I was on a 3000 ft. bluff. Took of boots, stocked close as I could. Lucky this time around, I had a scope, and a full power 300 grain swift a-frame load @ 2400 fps. Couldn't get any closer than 500 yds, real spooky bull, because of some noisy crowders wallowing around 50 yds behind my camp site. Last day of hunting I had left. Took a seated position, jacked the scope up to 5 power, settled the cross hairs on his back. Bullet hit water near his leg. Racked the bolt, settled thick part of cross hair top of his back. Shot #2 rang true. Bull wallowed around staggering, piled up in the shallow slough off the river.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Never have paid too close attention to what's popular in AK, concerning who shoots what caliber. I've been hunting with a 9.3x62 mauser since about 2006. Quite a few years ago, I think 2013? I visited Ted in Whitehorse, talking about all his 9.3x62 hunts. Was driving an old right hand drive HJ61 Toyota Landcruiser back to Alaska from Vancouver. It was imported from Japan.

Anyhow, this year I caught two bull caribou an ah 40" racked bull moose with the old 9.3. The caribou, was a light hand-load using the CZ open sights: 286 grain PRVI bullets and PRVI brass, 60 grain of alliant mr-2000 @ 2300 fps. One good fat bull, bout 350 yds away, climbed outta the brush and was in full trot cross an open bench. Sure did wish I had a scope, but couldn't pass him up, as I wasn't seeing much caribou. I began taking aim, shooting on the running shot. I missed about 4 times trying to lace a bullet in between patches of brush. Had one shot left, just as he was about to drop into the brush at the end of this steep bench, that one rang true. By then he was in a full run, so slid hard. Man my heart was pounding.

Next caribou, young bull right behind tent. Took off my shoes and snuck within 20 yds of him.

Few days later, missed a 60 incher I called into right into camp at evening time, low low low light! I tried shooting through the brush that he wouldn't leave, a mere 50 yds away. Bullet didn't touch em. He found a game trail in that thick brush and ran away like ah greyhound! Had heart ache over that for days.

Few days later, called a 40 incher into camp. Only problem I was on a 3000 ft. bluff. Took of boots, stocked close as I could. Lucky this time around, I had a scope, and a full power 300 grain swift a-frame load @ 2400 fps. Couldn't get any closer than 500 yds, real spooky bull, because of some noisy crowders wallowing around 50 yds behind my camp site. Last day of hunting I had left. Took a seated position, jacked the scope up to 5 power, settled the cross hairs on his back. Bullet hit water near his leg. Racked the bolt, settled thick part of cross hair top of his back. Shot #2 rang true. Bull wallowed around staggering, piled up in the shallow slough off the river.

Good to see you here Mainer. I've followed your posts for years on the Alaska forum. I've got a 358 Winchester and a 338 RCM so what your doing up there always interested me. BTW, is Micheal right?

Welcome aboard.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 2,987 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.