Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by iviax
Guys, I currently don't own any bolt action rifle. And I have been thinking of getting one in the future. I can only afford one, a good one I assume. So what should I get?

I am not in the hunting game or long range shooting at the moment. But for the future, I might want a rifle that is able to do some of those activities.

I gathered some info online, people praised Winchester 70 pre 64, Remington 700 police or 5R, Steyr...
But I believe some of you have a lot more experience and would be able to point a direction for me.

Thanks!
...............................Good question and you get many answers. May I suggest a different approach. Since you only seek one rifle, then get that one rifle that is the most perfect for you, which will best fill YOUR needs and a rifle that best fills the priorities that you are looking for in a rifle.

First. Pick a cartridge or make a short list of cartridges that will best suit your needs.....Second. What preferences are you looking for in a rifle? CRF action or push fed? 3 position safety or 2 position push type? Degree of bolt lift? Detachable box magazine or spring type? Straight stock or Monte Carlo style? Traditional wood or other stock material? Stainless or blued barrel? Barrel length? Low price point? High price point? What priorities are most important?............Opinions from others is all well and good. Which rifle you get should depend on what rifle is the most perfect for you.....................PRIORITIZ'N

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If that was the limit for me, and I could only buy 1, I'd buy a Winchester M70 in 30-06.

If I can make my own rifle it would be the same action or a 98 Mauser, also in 30-06.

The 30-06 is now 112 years old, but I do not believe there has been another cartridge invented yet that covers as many applications as well as the grand old 30-06.

Others are a bit better in certain specialties but if you want "one gun" you should avoid a specialty caliber and get a general purpose caliber. That mission statement my friend, is best covered with a 30-06.

It will do everything a rifle needs to do, with about 75% of the field covered with excellence and 25% covered antiquity.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Only one bolt gun would make me go with my Sako Forester in 243 Win. I can load up and down for pdog, Coyotes, deer, elk, and bear. Good, solid, cartridge that wouldn’t make me feel under gunned...😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FWIW IMO the OP's parameters really lend themselves to a 7-08 or 6.5 Creedmore ( my 6.5's are in a Swede though ) for a do all go anywhere rifle the deeper into geezerhood I get. The Bolt Action Rifle otoh is a tossup more dependent on his budget, with the obvious 1st set of choices in budget guns dominated by the Ruger American (uggh), and Howa 1500's & several others at the under $4/$500 price points. I started out in the late 1960's with a quality 243 as a wedding gift and learned to shoot with it, but soon moved to a 270 and never regretted it hunting mostly in Texas, and have had at least one ever since. Better bullets today have solved most of my issues with the 243's on game performance, but in a short case caliber there are now better cartridges like the ones posted above, and the OP can't go wrong with the parent case caliber, as the 308 is solid choice too.. In the mid price point range of $500 to $800 I favor Tikka's, Winchester M70's or Ruger 77's, but have little love from personal history for the Big Green or Savage guns. Of the dozens of hunting rifles I have owned, only the Tikka 695's & T3's have been dependably simple Plug and Play rifles.

Mo Money gets more choices and opens the door to lots more jillyfrasse but not much more quality unitil you break a $K for the rifle alone, then the Quality stairstep is in about +/- $500 increments.
JMHO & YMMV
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Verhoositz: I would say you nailed it for the OP. 6.5 Creed cartridge in a Tikka would be a great start. From what dang near everybody says who owns a Tikka, they shoot great out of the box...Always nice when your first rifle purchased exceeds expectations and doesn’t leave a guy with a bruised wallet...For the OP. My vote is a Tikka in 6.5 Creedmore...😎

“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
IF op can legally use a .223 for deer... still hasn’t said what state.

My current state only allow hunting deer with a shotgun.

It’s a secret!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
OP says he's only gonna buy one rifle...

Any takers???

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
i do know guys who only buy one rifle...

Per month....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by johnw

Per month....

Slacker grin

I
iviax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Yes guys, only one bolt action rifle I am planning to get. I pretty much have one firearm in each category except the full auto stuff. To be honest, for coyotes hunting, I probably will just use my ar15. Deer hunt is different though, you can’t disrespect a deer with “assault rifle”...

Btw, couple weeks ago, someone was selling a kimber mountain ascent 2017, green stock, silver color leupold scope I think. Where did his post go?
I found his gun on gun broker only “watched” it online. Then my days got busy and didn’t even check in and the auction was gone too. How does it compare to kimber classic select?

Last edited by iviax; 05/22/18.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw

Crazy talk...Only one rifle? That's like looking at a harem of hot women, all wanting to go home with you, and you say, "Nah"....I just want one girl....Grin!

Per month....

“Molon Labe”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yes guys, only one bolt action rifle I am planning to get. I pretty much have one firearm in each category except the full auto stuff. To be honest, for coyotes hunting, I probably will just use my ar15. Deer hunt is different though, you can’t disrespect a deer with “assault rifle”...

Btw, couple weeks ago, someone was selling a kimber mountain ascent 2017, green stock, silver color leopard scope I think. Where did his post go?
I found his gun on gun broker only “watched” it online. Then my days got busy and didn’t even check in and the auction was gone too. How does it compare to kimber classic select?

If it’s primarily deer, look at the Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 7mm-08. All the punch you need, very little recoil. I kill deer and elk with mine.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Btw, couple weeks ago, someone was selling a kimber mountain ascent 2017, green stock, silver color leopard scope I think. Where did his post go?

I'm not aware of any such things as AR15 assault rifles or leopard scopes...

I
iviax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

I'm not aware of any such things as AR15 assault rifles or leopard scopes...

leupold.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Howa 1500 Long Range or Remington 700 Long Range in 6.5 Creedmoor, 308 Winchester or 30-06 Springfield.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
700 BDL 30-06. Early model. With 6x FX3 Leupold. Second choice 280 Remington otherwise the same.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
All he’s hunting is deer. Why the elk cartridge recommendations?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not even hunting deer with a rifle. No reason to go any bigger than .223, and the fun factor and round count will be much higher with a .223 than a bigger rifle...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
A New Haven Winchester Model 70, Stainless Steel, Classic Action!

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
mod 70

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,052
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.