Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
lvlax

you've had many suggestions per caliber/cartridge. Find and know the legal minimum of your intended area.

You titled this thread, " If YOU can have only one b a rifle..."

I have several diff brands and types and have had even more and it's a hard decision for me to pick ONE,

PROBABLY if I had to be limited to ONE it would be....

[Linked Image]

EITHER one of these. Right -- T 3 Lite SS 270 Win > > > Left -- T3X Lite SS 7mm RM

Considering hunting a variety of places & game, I'd probably pick the 7 Rem Mag.
I don't think that would be best for you & your situation. But I like it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Nice pair of rifles Jerry!.....I love me a Tikka Magnum chambered rifle, they are mighty hard to beat.....Hb

I
iviax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by jwall
lvlax

you've had many suggestions per caliber/cartridge. Find and know the legal minimum of your intended area.

You titled this thread, " If YOU can have only one b a rifle..."

I have several diff brands and types and have had even more and it's a hard decision for me to pick ONE,

PROBABLY if I had to be limited to ONE it would be....

[Linked Image]

EITHER one of these. Right -- T 3 Lite SS 270 Win > > > Left -- T3X Lite SS 7mm RM

Considering hunting a variety of places & game, I'd probably pick the 7 Rem Mag.
I don't think that would be best for you & your situation. But I like it.

Jerry

Jerry, I had bought pre 64 win M70 30-06. I don’t have much hunting and long range shooting needs. So this might just work for me. See the photos above. Nick tikka rifles btw. I thought about it too.

Last edited by iviax; 07/14/18.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Nice pair of rifles Jerry!.....I love me a Tikka Magnum chambered rifle, they are mighty hard to beat.....Hb

Thnx Va H & lvlax

I have nice & pretty Wood/Blue rifles in diff cartridges BUT Synthetic & SS can NOT be beat for practicality. IMO

I have a gorgeous stocked rifle.......
[Linked Image]

but "Whitebird" won't sell it to me. whistle laugh laugh laugh
Seriously, that is Whitebird's rifle and the FIRST time I saw the pic I immediately thot of a S_W 1500 (Howa) 30-06 that I HAD. cry

Another nice thing about the T3X 7 Mag is its weight. The 7 Mag weighs ONLY 3 OUNCES more than the T 3 270. smile

I had the same scope on a Rem 700 Syn 7 Mag------ the T3X weighs exactly 1 POUND less than the 700 Syn. smile smile

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Tikka T3s in 7mm Rem Mag can shoot, too.

[Linked Image]

That’s four shots into .527”, mv 3100 FPS.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been reading this thread with more than just a passing interest, with the idea of at soon to be 74 and shooting shoulder problems from a related surgery 12 years ago that is beginning to be more than just a pain pill away from resolution...and going down the road to near total downsizing of all the CF rifles and settleing on a single caliber in a couple shooters to finish up with.

Some surprises recently have been discovered in what I can handle recoil wise, that I had always been able to handle with no concerns as I get back into trigger pulling regularly have been an unexpected unpleasant wake up call.

So, Belted Mags for me are a thing of the past and was almost given. Apparently Super Lite rifles are a thing of the past too...as a new T3 SLSwede shooting some old free to me PMC 140's to harvest brass from, popped me like a 6lb 7Rmg & flattened primers to the point that I pulled the rest of the free ammo's bullets and powder. The Tikka shot the ancient ammo into the expected tiny groups but my shoulder told me to "very carefull" from the "lil very sharp bite" that caught me by surprise enough to cause me to think mebbe I had after all these years really developed a torn rotator cuff, as I had been warned about after the surgery that left me with a "frozen shoulder" for a couple years. My M70 270 Sporter with some old max loaded 150's that always shot decently and last was used for zeroing a scope, caused me later to flinch for the 1st time I can remember on a game shot in 50 years of hunting with a 270. A 7lb 375 H&H Sako Fiberclass Carbine was last rifle to make me flinch in the mid '80's.The best surprise however was the new to me M70 XTR 7x57's lack of recoil using fresh Privi 140's to practice with & to harvest the brass from, and now what I'm planning on using this fall, but I hate to hunt with a collector quality rifle.

So what are 'yall's thoughts about the pros and cons of using either a 6.5 Swede, a 6.5 Creedmore....or a 7-08 for everything in Texas....as of right now I'm leaning towards the 7-08 for my last Do All Caliber that had always been the various 270's job, based on the experience with the M70 Fwt 7x57...and using rifles with a gross All Up Weight of the M70 Fwt. at about 7 1/2 - 7 3/4lbs+...OR ... just downloading the M70 270 Sporter to less than max recoil levels and burn up the plentiful on hand supplies as previously planned
Ron

Last edited by verhoositz; 07/15/18.

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
verhoositz

If I were you I think that I would go with the Creedmoor. As much as I love the Swede, you can't hardly find one with a fast enough twist for some of the VLD bullets that are out these days. If that is not a concern, I'd probably go with the Swede. The 7-08 would be a distant runner up. There's nothing wrong with the cartridge, I'm just partial to the 7X57.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This old blued and walnut Mark II .223 was mostly opposite of what I was looking for. But after looking off and on for a while, just one of those deals that was too good to walk away. And it was new enough to have the hammer forged barrel.
Don't know if this rifle will work out for me. I was looking for stainless synthetic with a tighter twist and got blued and walnut with a 12 twist. And not likely that it will be the only bolt action rifle I'd ever want Maybe it could be my only blued and walnut bolt action, maybe not.

For the OP's listed criteria, you could do worse. It's growing on me.
As far as I know these pencil barrel rifles don't have a stellar rep for accuracy. We'll see if it sticks after I shoot it next weekend. I like the looks and fit more than I thought I would.
The trigger is excellent. Very light and crisp. But with a bit of over travel that I’m not accustomed to.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by DollarShort; 07/15/18.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
This one is earning its keep right now. Wood with family heritage, shoots great too!

Barrett Fieldcraft, 6.5 Creedmoor, Nightforce SHV 3-10x42

[Linked Image]

Last edited by prm; 07/15/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Above is a new to me favorite. I it's a 30-06 with a octagon barrel by Hiptmeyer on a mauser.

Last edited by Savage_99; 07/15/18.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by iviax
Guys, I currently don't own any bolt action rifle. And I have been thinking of getting one in the future. I can only afford one, a good one I assume. So what should I get?

I am not in the hunting game or long range shooting at the moment. But for the future, I might want a rifle that is able to do some of those activities.

I gathered some info online, people praised Winchester 70 pre 64, Remington 700 police or 5R, Steyr...
But I believe some of you have a lot more experience and would be able to point a direction for me.

Thanks!

Winchester model 70 in 7mm Mag, stainless/synthetic will do it all now and anything else you have planned for future hunts, 160 gr Accubonds or 175 gr Partitions will cover all bases nicely.

Myself, I'd take the same gun in 375 H&H mag, 270 gr TSX's, 300 gr Accubonds, along with a good 300 gr BBW #13 solid load, those will handle small deer up to and including all game in Africa or anywhere else in the world.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by verhoositz
Been reading this thread with more than just a passing interest, with the idea of at soon to be 74 and shooting shoulder problems from a related surgery 12 years ago that is beginning to be more than just a pain pill away from resolution...and going down the road to near total downsizing of all the CF rifles and settleing on a single caliber in a couple shooters to finish up with.

Some surprises recently have been discovered in what I can handle recoil wise, that I had always been able to handle with no concerns as I get back into trigger pulling regularly have been an unexpected unpleasant wake up call.

So, Belted Mags for me are a thing of the past and was almost given. Apparently Super Lite rifles are a thing of the past too...as a new T3 SLSwede shooting some old free to me PMC 140's to harvest brass from, popped me like a 6lb 7Rmg & flattened primers to the point that I pulled the rest of the free ammo's bullets and powder. The Tikka shot the ancient ammo into the expected tiny groups but my shoulder told me to "very carefull" from the "lil very sharp bite" that caught me by surprise enough to cause me to think mebbe I had after all these years really developed a torn rotator cuff, as I had been warned about after the surgery that left me with a "frozen shoulder" for a couple years. My M70 270 Sporter with some old max loaded 150's that always shot decently and last was used for zeroing a scope, caused me later to flinch for the 1st time I can remember on a game shot in 50 years of hunting with a 270. A 7lb 375 H&H Sako Fiberclass Carbine was last rifle to make me flinch in the mid '80's.The best surprise however was the new to me M70 XTR 7x57's lack of recoil using fresh Privi 140's to practice with & to harvest the brass from, and now what I'm planning on using this fall, but I

hate to hunt with a collector quality rifle.

So what are 'yall's thoughts about the pros and cons of using either a 6.5 Swede, a 6.5 Creedmore....or a 7-08 for everything in Texas....as of right now I'm leaning towards the 7-08 for my last Do All Caliber that had always been the various 270's job, based on the experience with the M70 Fwt 7x57...and using rifles with a gross All Up Weight of the M70 Fwt. at about 7 1/2 - 7 3/4lbs+...OR ... just downloading the M70 270 Sporter to less than max recoil levels and burn up the plentiful on hand supplies as previously planned
Ron

Verhoo

I read all of this post. First let me Xplain the 7X57 = Prvi ammo. ...........> edited prIvi TI prvi
I have 2 boxes of Prvi 6.5X55 ammo. Chronoed the 140s at ***2250 fps*** !! --------> edited prIvi TO prvi
I’d ‘suspect your Prvi ammo is MILD.

Now to your question.

You can load EITHER the 7-08 or 270 to the level you are comorfortable shooting.
Unless I’m mistaken you have the 270 and components - but not the 7-08. So IMO it’s up to what YOU want to do. Both will work.

I’m sorry for your complications but they come as WE MATURE.

Good Luck.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 07/17/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If I could only have 1 bolt action hunting rifle, it would always be the rifle I started out on. A sporterized m1917 enfield chambered in 30-06. These rifles never leave you stranded, always work, always go bang when you want them to... They are heavy, but I don't give a fu ck. Most people would cry if they had to do my job too (too hard and too heavy), but that's my pick...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
If I could only have 1 bolt action hunting rifle, it would always be the rifle I started out on. A sporterized m1917 enfield chambered in 30-06. These rifles never leave you stranded, always work, always go bang when you want them to... They are heavy, but I don't give a fu ck. Most people would cry if they had to do my job too (too hard and too heavy), but that's my pick...

you are mans man for sure.. we are glad you don't give a fiddlestick as well. Lol oh lawrence you crack me up sometimes..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I have an all original Eddystone in great shape. This evening I'm going to look at a 1917 sporter 30-06. If I buy it I might send it off to become a 35 Whelen.

I
iviax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
I just put the scope on the rifle and now it weights 9.78lbs

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That’d look real nice in the house, and should flatten a coyote. But I’m too much of a wimp to lug that fatty around for half a day.😂😂😂

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Glad you found what you wanted.

For me, a "one bolt action for everything hunting related" is this:

A stainless Tikka T3 Lite .308 cut to 20" and muzzle brake installed. Talleys and a 2.5-10x24 Nightforce on top.

The stock is a McMillan Edge.

[Linked Image]

It has killed deer, elk coyotes rabbits etc.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
Probably be one of these 2- both 308 winchester. Ammunition for it everywhere, easy to reload for, components are cheap and the caliber/barrel combo lasts forever before accuracy goes south. Mount a nightforce of your choice magnification- I happen to think the 2.5-10x32 is the bomb, and go kill anything you could point it at in NA.

Remington SS 308

[Linked Image]

Pretty neat reloading bench. I assume the press and other things are off on the right.

Mine was pretty cramped back in 2007 when I took this picture and it is even more so now.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 07/17/18.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
I
iviax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by DollarShort
That’d look real nice in the house, and should flatten a coyote. But I’m too much of a wimp to lug that fatty around for half a day.😂😂😂

I know it's a bit heavy. My previous Steyr pro hunter is close to that weight as well. This one is at least 30-06... I am not planning on carrying it in the woods though.

Last edited by iviax; 07/17/18.
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

384 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 47 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,001
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.