Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
I
iviax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Guys, I currently don't own any bolt action rifle. And I have been thinking of getting one in the future. I can only afford one, a good one I assume. So what should I get?

I am not in the hunting game or long range shooting at the moment. But for the future, I might want a rifle that is able to do some of those activities.

I gathered some info online, people praised Winchester 70 pre 64, Remington 700 police or 5R, Steyr...
But I believe some of you have a lot more experience and would be able to point a direction for me.

Thanks!

Last edited by iviax; 05/19/18.
BP-B6

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Howa

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The “hunting game” encompasses a pretty large arena. What game and what areas of the country did you have in mind?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
The “hunting game” encompasses a pretty large arena. What game and what areas of the country did you have in mind?

This

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
I
iviax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I

The only animal I would kill is the coyote but I will keep deer in mind just in case I need meat.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Howa

Yup.....I picked up one of these in .308 Win chambering for $275.....add some shipping and FFL fees (it was used)....it hit about $325.....It's one helluva shooter and is good for anything that walks north America and most of Africa.....Normally, I'm a model 70 fan.....and still am....but this Howa is something to take notice of.....I recommend them highly.

I
iviax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by vapodog
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Howa

Yup.....I picked up one of these in .308 Win chambering for $275.....add some shipping and FFL fees (it was used)....it hit about $325.....It's one helluva shooter and is good for anything that walks north America and most of Africa.....Normally, I'm a model 70 fan.....and still am....but this Howa is something to take notice of.....I recommend them highly.

But if you could only have one bolt action rifle, will you still choose howa?

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by iviax

The only animal I would kill is the coyote but I will keep deer in mind just in case I need meat.

There are some great choices in the bolt action rifle market that would meet this criteria but for a reasonsbly priced no fuss rifle I would suggest a Tikka T3x stainless/synthetic chambered in .243 Win......Good luck....Hb

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
No. I personally would not. I would choose a Winchester classic stainless model 70 in 30/06.
But my needs are different and fortunately I’m not limited one.

In your shoes, I’d be mighty tempted to just call Melvin ... or go the simple route with a Tikka t3x in 6.5 creed or a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6 or 6.5 creed.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

There are some great choices in the bolt action rifle market that would meet this criteria but for a reasonsbly priced no fuss rifle I would suggest a Tikka T3x stainless/synthetic chambered in .243 Win......Good luck....Hb

Posted while I was pecking... also a good option!

IC B3

I
iviax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Someone also suggested Steyr Scout and Kimber classic or Mountain Ascent . What about those?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One bolt rifle for coyotes, targets, and maybe a deer someday...I’d probably wait and grab a Tikka CTR .223 when they appear.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
For coyotes and deer it would be chambered in .223 with an 8 or 9" twist. The twist requirement would somewhat limit your choices. I'd probably go Tikka T3X myself.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Someone also suggested Steyr Scout and Kimber classic or Mountain Ascent . What about those?

My preference out of the lot would be a Kimber.

Yes, have shot the Steyr Scout a lot, son has one I reload for in 308.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
OP still hasn’t said where he plans to do this possible hunting.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
British Army surplus Boyse anti-tank rifle. Bang, flop. Or, bang, boom.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Wincherster Model 70 Featherweight in .308.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just did a quick count and 11 of my rifles are Rugers of which eight are bolt actions. The good old Ruger (blued/walnut of course smile ) is a strong, solid, all metal, reliable hunting rifle. For what you are looking at hunting, a .243 would be suitable if using factory ammo, but if you hand load I'd look round for one of the .257 Roberts that they did a few years ago. The 85gn Ballistic Tip would be good for small game and a 100-115gn Ballistic Tip would do for the occasional deer. Or just load the 100gn Ballistic Tip for everything.

If you wanted a bit higher spec rifle the Mauser M12 would be a candidate but I'm not sure how popular they are in the States. Mine is very accurate right out of the box with a crisp trigger and floated barrel. Just clean off the packing oils and shoot it. Rugers often need the triggers worked a bit and just about every single one of mine shot better when floated and bedded.

Last edited by Elvis; 05/20/18.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Guys, I currently don't own any bolt action rifle. And I have been thinking of getting one in the future. I can only afford one, a good one I assume. So what should I get?

I am not in the hunting game or long range shooting at the moment. But for the future, I might want a rifle that is able to do some of those activities.

I gathered some info online, people praised Winchester 70 pre 64, Remington 700 police or 5R, Steyr...
But I believe some of you have a lot more experience and would be able to point a direction for me.

Thanks!

I am going to assume that you exclude rimfires and small game here, and are looking for a medium to large game rifle. I would look out for a Husqvarna were I a careful man with money, a Brno model 21 if I cared about style and pride of ownership, a Brno ZG47 were I to want something I could have serious work done to in the future for use as a large game rifle.

And if Jorge says anything about Weatherby you can take it with a grain of salt as he just couldn't bring himself to go the whole hog and get a 270.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Henryseale
British Army surplus Boyse anti-tank rifle. Bang, flop. Or, bang, boom.

My Dentist had one locally, and used it for beating up on car wrecks. I just couldn't work myself up to liking it.

The .55 Boyes is a spare spartan tool...and tool it is.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
740 members (257 roberts, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,704 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.