Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
NMiller Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
First time using Alpha brass and first time loading for the 6.5 Creedmoor. I know the Alpha brass has a smaller case capacity than most, having a hard time finding data for it. Anyone have some first hand experience that could give a hint for a starting load? I plan to use R17 and shoot 147 ELD. Tikka T3x.

GB1

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm using alpha i my Creedmoor. Haven't done extensive load development yet. I have observed that it takes 2.5 - 3.0 grains less powder to get the equivalent velocities predicted by QuickLoad. You will definitely want to back off of your normal starting loads ad be cautious when you work up.

That said, Alpha brass has no equal. Amazingly consistent. I weighed all 100 pcs that I bought. The max case weight weighed 0.8 grains more than the min case weight.

Last edited by drano 25; 05/21/18.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by drano 25
I'm using alpha i my Creedmoor. Haven't done extensive load development yet. I have observed that it takes 2.5 - 3.0 grains less powder to get the equivalent velocities predicted by QuickLoad. You will definitely want to back off of your normal starting loads ad be cautious when you work up.

That said, Alpha bras has no equal. Amazingly consistent. I weighed all 100 pcs that I bought. The max case weight weighed 0.8 grains more than the min case weight.

How uniform were the neck walls?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I didn't check neck walls. I did spot check concentricity at the neck, maybe 20% of them. It has been several months, but if memory serves me right, none had more were less than 0.001" of run out. I knew after checking the weight and run out, this was easily the most consistent brass I have used. I don't really need brass of this quality as I typically find Nosler & Hornady brass workable for my needs. I do like high quality though, and I was impressed. When I need brass again, if Alpha makes it in that cartrdge, it is what I will buy.

All measurements were taken right out of the box. No sizing, trimming, flash hole or primer pocket work required.

IC B2

NMiller Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I didn't check neck walls. I did spot check concentricity at the neck, maybe 20% of them. It has been several months, but if memory serves me right, none had more were less than 0.001" of run out. I knew after checking the weight and run out, this was easily the most consistent brass I have used. I don't really need brass of this quality as I typically find Nosler & Hornady brass workable for my needs. I do like high quality though, and I was impressed. When I need brass again, if Alpha makes it in that cartrdge, it is what I will buy.

All measurements were taken right out of the box. No sizing, trimming, flash hole or primer pocket work required.

So you just loaded them as they came, no sizing first? I am thinking to just give a mouth chamfer and fill 'er up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also would be interested in the consistency of the thickness of the neck walls if you have a way to measure.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The neck walls are the first thing on my check list since they affect concentricity which in turn affects accuracy/precision more than small weight variations and flash hole burrs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
The neck walls are the first thing on my check list since they affect concentricity which in turn affects accuracy/precision more than small weight variations and flash hole burrs.

Math man is telling it right!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by NMiller
D

So you just loaded them as they came, no sizing first? I am thinking to just give a mouth chamfer and fill 'er up.

That is exactly what I did, chamfer and load.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The Alpha brass I’ve played with in 6.5 and 6 has had less than 0.001” neck thickness variation.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

The Alpha brass I’ve played with in 6.5 and 6 has had less than 0.001” neck thickness variation.

I figured it was good stuff, but it's nice to know.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

345 members (1lesfox, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 33 invisible), 1,522 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,643
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.