Print Thread
Hop To
S
sfal Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Saw this the other day....and loved the work put into it....not sure who "jazzed it up"...

Model 24 .22LR/.410 no serial number...has Griffin an Howe side mount which holds a Lyman Alaskan scope...Butt Plate I dont think is factory as it is checkered Steel with a small V extension over the top ....and a matching Steel grip cap...along with scroll engraving on bottom of trigger guard....sling mount to barrel...early model with barrel selector on side

i havent found another like it online.... which leads me to believe a shop...(Griffin an Howe?)....changed out wood...as when you look at the forend....its flush with the bottom of frame...not bulked out like you normally see...along with the other enhancements....butt grip cap and trigger guard....and possibly butt stock

after i pick it up next week will look for DOM letters...and take better pics
Thanks for any help/input
al
link to pics

https://imgur.com/a/1Odnhq7

"When it's over I want to hit the ground like a spent shell"

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would like to see those mentioned pics. I grew up with a model 24 in .22lr/.410. My dad still has it. (One of the rare side release ones). Yours does indeed look very different.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Looks different, and special, to me. Would love to have it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So you really can make a "silk purse out of a sows ear". Well done Savage, hope it shoots as good as it looks.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
S
sfal Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
erich......i was thinking the same thing....:)....for a simple gun its had alot of attention added to it.....I dont think it was done by Savage....did they have a "custom" shop?....just trying to learn
al

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by erich
So you really can make a "silk purse out of a sows ear". Well done Savage, hope it shoots as good as it looks.

I think that you nailed it with the "silk purse from a sow's ear" comment. The cost of the work that went into that rifle is almost certainly more than the combination gun cost NIB. That said, from the end of WW2 until around 1960 you could buy excellent 'smithing and engraving in Austria and West Germany for pennies on the dollar, although this work looks to be domestic, no carved oak leaves in the wood.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like that quite a bit, but I seriously doubt that is Griffin and Howe work.

Who would have the money for them and not at least pick a little better wood?

I am redoing a Hornet/20ga and trying to pick a blank that is not too flashy, but still special. And I feel morally obligated to stick with black walnut.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sitka deer,

What I'd like to find is a .223/20 gauge magnum (of some sort) to "fancy up". = I have a couple of NICE mesquite planks "squirreled away" for such projects.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
S
sfal Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the help/input.....I think it will come down to someone recognizing who did the work, by the butt plate...as in the small V over the top....to me it just screams "signature"....more pics next week after pick up
Thanks al

S
sfal Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Picked the old girl up and took and posted on link a bunch more pics...
Markings...
Barrel Right Side on Lug: looks like it could be 19B....(B for 1950?) It has all early features...
Frame inside left: Q Y, a somewhat rectangle and Chevy Bowtie"ish symbol
Barrel forward of Lug: same Q Y, the somewhat rectangle and Chevy Bowtie"ish symbol along with a P in a circle
Scope: Lyman Alaskan 2 1/2 power All Weather....Post reticle with Leather scope cover...
Sling Swivels: Judds Patented...
Sling: Leather, Black on outside....Natural with a Green strip on inside..(Rubber nubs dry rotting)..Leather covered buckle...no Markings
Under Butt Plate: No markings on Steel Plate....just hole for mounting bolt in wood

Thanks for the Help and Input
Al

Last edited by sfal; 06/02/18.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These links may help you date the gun.

http://www.cylindersmith.com/savage24/datecode.html

https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/age-of-savage-24-by-serial-355894.html

Sling Swivels: Judds Patented...

Does anyone know where Judd Swivels, or copies can be found beside Ebay?
I need one for a Savage 99 barrel .625 ID

I also have a Savage 24. 22/410, made 1960 with Judd type swivels, copies not stamped "Judd" but look identical.

S
sfal Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for help....
moved pics link down here

https://imgur.com/a/1Odnhq7

al

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I seriously doubt that Griffin&Howe did the work. Their protocol has always been to install the scope mount with extra long tapered pins and screws with extra long screw heads- then grind and polish everything flush when done, making for nigh invisible screws and pins. The butt plate, while nicely managed, doesn't exhibit the really anal care G&H took with inletting the widow's peak into the heel of the stock. Savage shotgun receivers of that era are notoriously hard to blue, and often take on a plumb color when passed through hot blue tanks. G&H probably would've rust blued it to avoid that.

That's not to say it isn't a darned nice gun. I would love to have it just the way it is. But I doubt G&H did the work- some other very skilled craftsman had at it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Really a neat gun, and a great find.

Can't offer any insight into who would have done the custom work. Would have loved to have said "I'll Take It"

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Having owned a couple of Griffin & Howe rifles I agree that the work on the Savage while craftsmanlike is not up to G & H standards in several areas. Not all G & H mounts installed in their shop had the pin and screw heads finished flush, that was an added cost option.

S
sfal Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for all the input....I may never find out who did the work....but i wanted more to share with others this great little gun....of note... iam sure when the work was done....and the receiver was blued, it was "blue"....but like some other guns ....it has turned "purple" after time...all and all a neat old school classic
Thanks again al

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
that's slicker than ::::

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (21, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,402 guests, and 736 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.