Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by cwh2
You must have been hammered, cause there is no way that happened!

No No! He meant you were dropping them down the front of your own bibs! Of course you would not go near the epee!
Sheeesh...

IIRC, the epee was bandied about and some verbal threats made.

Maybe I dreamed it. Or not. grin

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That does sound like one of your dreams.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I remember right, Dan was on a 65-70 second average on the butts that day, including taking the cheeks.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
If I remember right, Dan was on a 65-70 second average on the butts that day, including taking the cheeks.

He is a cheeky bastard!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Baked Halibut Olympia today. It is GOOD!

Never heard of it till this thread, so thank you! Wife really likes it.

IC B2

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Awesome. Glad you enjoyed it. I need to make myself another Olympia dinner.

Been playing around with deep frying lingcod as we caught a nice one a few days ago on the way in from king fishing. (44.5 inches). Learning to cut the pieces smaller to avoid too much of the "mush" with lingcod. Need to dredge up some yellow eye for a good comparison. Had a great conversation with the owner of the fish truck in town. She told me that demand is strongest for deep fried yellow eye, but is having trouble sourcing it. She told me to keep going smaller with my chunks to get the mush out of Ling.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What do you mean by "cut the pieces smaller?" Thinner?
I've never deep fried Ling, I've only done halibut or the true cod we catch. Yellow eye is great, no matter how you cook it.

I made a batch of "halibut bread" again last night. Man I love that, but restrict myself to once or twice a year.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
More chicken nugget size compared to chicken tender size I’d that makes sense. Best time I am going to gut, scrape, and pack in ice for 24 hours. I hear that helps firm it up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gotcha. Good to know.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I made my fifth dish of XXX olympia....twice with fish, twice with chicken and once with pork chop.....while I really like the Halibut, the price decreases it's desirability somewhat. That said.....it seems the basic recipe can be used with many types of meat.....maybe even shrimp...scallops.....who knows.....Lets keep this thing a secret.....It wouldn't be good to raise the price of sour cream an mayo ya know!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beer battered lingcod done right Is hard to beat !

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Too late... it's on the menu of every restaurant in AK.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Fortunately halibut prices are coming down. Hope to pick up a block of IFQ this fall. Not to harvest but to transfer to charter clients.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Several years ago I concocted a slightly similar salmon dish, but in one of the few errors of my life, did not write down what went into it.

I made a goo with a primary base of Thousand Island dressing. Added some Caesar (?) dressing, lemon juice, assorted spices that were on hand and would go with fish, and likely a dash of soy, balsamic vinegar and Louisiana hot sauce. Tinkered with it to taste with what was on hand.

Then cut fresh salmon into one inch cubes and soused them in the goo for awhile. Some of the belly pieces were ¾ inch thick or a little less. Then very gently dumped the whole into a big non-stick skillet on the stove top. Cooked on no more than medium high, (I started on medium and eased to low) and very gently turned the pieces as they cooked, using two wooden spatulas, to keep them from coming apart as much as possible. Aim for done but barely done rather than over cooked.

Serve still slathered/partly covered in the hot cooked sauce.

I made that three times, once at a special dinner with several guests who raved about it. Wife loved it. Then got to hunting or something and drifted on to other things as the salmon run ended. This Olympia dish makes me want to revisit the salmon thing again.

Last edited by Okanagan; 05/21/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is another recipe . I use this on Striped bass and had it tonight. Lay a fillet out and cut 3/4 inch medallions we cut 4-6 pieces. Mix 4 tb sp of softened butter, 4 tb sp of mayo, 4 heaping tb spoons of parmesan cheese. Add tabasco or red pepper flakes to your liking. Season the fish with S&P on both sides and place them under the broiler for 10 minutes or just before your desired liking. Pull them out quick and place the mixture on top and place them back in until the topping turns a golden brown. Arugula salad with craisins, clementines/orange slices and a raspberry vinaigrette make for nice meal in our house.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Huge lingcod "bloom" in our area, so I forced myself to like lingcod.. haha Those fish were everywhere this year. Not sure where they came from. Some monsters too. Going to rig up for dinglebar fishing next May and load up on them. Dinglebar fishing, for those of you who might actually be curious is where you drag a lead lead filled pipe around rockpiles with jigs attached and you harvest lingcod commercially.

I modified my olympia recipe a little to include red chili flakes and paprika.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,545
Posts18,453,457
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.