S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
all of these local gun shops always tell ya to "save the box!" when
someone purchases a new rifle....

there claim is that when you sell it or trade it in...

that a rifle or shotgun with the box it came in from the factory
is worth $100 to $150 more?

Do you guys find this fact or fiction?

I've got gun boxes that are 30 plus years old now...

Looked at one in the attic, from a Model 70 SA, bought new in the late 80s...
and it is priced $349.00....

another one was for a Ruger 77/22 in 22 Mag... marked for $259.00 new...

kinda nuts on how cheap some great rifles use to be...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I burn em all...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have saved all of mine. Along with whatever paperwork came with the firearm. Is it worth much? Check Ebay and Gunbroker, it sure seems to be for a lot of folks. I always think it adds to the price. Winchester's and Colt's even S&W now have recreation boxes and paperwork often well over $150 a pop. Kinda like maintenance records for a car or truck, it shows you appreciated what you bought.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never found that it helped any in resale.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Depends on the gun. On some that reach classic status it adds real value. On most working guns such as a Glock or utilitarian rifle of shotgun boxes and paperwork MIGHT add $10 to the value.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Having the original box does add value to the gun sale to most gun buyers but do believe the added $$ value of having the factory box depends on the gun itself being sold.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It may help sell the gun if you have the box but in my experience you won't get any more for it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always save the box, and if I sell a gun I send it to the new owner in the original box. I can't say as it helps one way or another, but I have had buyers ask if I had the box. I'd say it depends mostly on the collectors value of the gun.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
collector type guns with the box that has the same serial number as the rifle or pistol can add $100.00 to the total price of gun and box. here`s an example : Ruger #1, 10 years old, brand new unfired,100 % condition ,odd cartridge,box new and same serial number as rifle. without the box $1100.00, with box $1200.00 and collectors will buy the rifle with its box easier too. but as said before just a rifle used for hunting or target practice probably nothing.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There are gun boxes on sale at Guns International for $200-$300

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by doubletap
There are gun boxes on sale at Guns International for $200-$300

But is anyone buying?

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never bought a sporterized Mauser that came with a box.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I toss them into the attic. If I sell the gun later, I dig out the box for shipping, usually padded with bubble wrap and wrapped in more layers of cardboard. Big gun boxes can often hold smaller ones, adding extra layers, especially on the ends. I've gotten many compliments from buyers on my packing jobs.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Something like a pre-64 model 70, yes it will.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I used to save the boxes. One day my wife came upon them and "assumed" I had bought all those guns "recently", ha. It caused a "misunderstanding" as (a) I always traded/sold to buy any guns, no Household Funds and (b) I don't "accumulate" them. I like to have at least one "trade material" rifle, ha. Yes...the boxes were thrown away! smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 05/22/18.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have saved almost all of my boxes. I have a Hi Standard Supermatic Citation, 7 1/4" fluted barrel, Government grips. The dang box is worth almost as much as the pistol.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unless someone is short of storage space it doesn't hurt anything to hang onto them. I used to store mine in the garage rafters up out of the way.

If you ever sell a firearm they are a perfect inner packaging to help secure it, and if you bought the rifle with a plain brown factory outer box that makes a perfect fit. Just shipped a rifle last week that has an unusually large factory box with the brand name on it, but I still had the outer shipping box as well. Otherwise I'd have had to go find a very unusual sized plain brown box.

Can't say it increases the price or causes the firearm to be sold over another - only individual buyers can answer that - but it doesn't lower the price or decrease desirability. "Hmm, I see two guns for sale in about the same shape and for the same price, but this one comes with the original box and manual. Too bad, that's a deal killer right there."

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Decades ago I threw out several boxes that the Parker Reproductions came in. I was moving at the time and didn't want to move them. When I was selling the guns the boxes would have added to the value. I just recently sold a Ruger #1B in 6.5 Creedmore. It was an as new rifle. The buyer asked if I had the box. I had to reply no as I had recently tossed it. It doesn't hurt to keep them if you have the space for them.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Seafire: I buy/sell/trade a LOT of Rifles and pistols.
The original box for most Rifles and pistols will add to the firearms resale value!
In many cases it will add a LOT of value to that arms resale price.
Especially so in the instances of resale for Kimbers of Oregon, Colt revolvers and pistols, High Standard pistols, Smith & Wesson (pre-lock of course!) revolvers and pistols, Remington 40X's, Cooper Rifles and etc.
I now see a market in just resale of original boxes (especially revolvers and pistols) - in fact I spent $25.00 for a Smith & Wesson factory cardboard box and most of its paperwork to enhance the value of a mint/unfired condition Smith & Wesson Model 30-1 2".
I am sure that $25.00 investment was FAR surpassed by the value added to my nifty little pistol!
I save the boxes of ALL my high end and collector type firearm purchases!
It's well worth it in my extensive experiences.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the early 80's I bought five various Kimber of OR rifles, two of them came in old fashioned wooden crates with the cursive Kimber logo on them. And not just some decorative lightweight wood, those things were solid. Wish I still had them, they'd be worth some coin. Of course, as much as they weighed I'd have to charge $125 for regular ground shipping... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've usually felt the box helps sell the gun quicker, but doesn't add much to the price. Gives the idea that the gun is just barely used as compared to a really used one without a box. If someone is looking at 3 or 4 identical rifles, a box and paperwork can help seal the deal.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Boxes can be a real value add to a sale. I see this more often with pistols and revolvers. Collectable rifles as well. Like VarmitGuy I have bought boxes for special pistols. I also ask about boxes and paperwork when I buy a collectable (or just older) firearm. I will pay a bit more if the box and paperwork, accessories are included. If they are not I will lower my price. I have about the same High Standard as Owl, with everything that came with the pistol when new, even the blank warranty card. Easily adds $250 to $300 to the value of the 1969 pistol.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
If everyone saved every (factory) box that every gun came in they wouldn't be worth anything. The only reason they're worth anything at all is because most pitch them.

I used to save them, but decided there wasn't enough room in my life to store empty gun boxes. I seldom sell guns anyway...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Ploughman
If everyone saved every (factory) box that every gun came in they wouldn't be worth anything. The only reason they're worth anything at all is because most pitch them.

I used to save them, but decided there wasn't enough room in my life to store empty gun boxes. I seldom sell guns anyway...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he says.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well since you "pitch" them I guess that ones I saved will be worth more.

Thank You

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2 years ago I bought a Colt 1908 25acp $250 that was made in 1915.

[Linked Image]

I showed it to the Colt guys and they were interested in the box.

Now they tell me counterfeit Colt boxes are showing up on Ebay.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Interesting thread, and I am sure someone out there has a whole wall devoted to boxes.

I don't.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't buy many new rifles or shotguns, but when I do, I save the boxes for if/when they get sold. I only have 4 or 5 boxes down there now that match once new guns.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I never really save boxes. I find it a waste of space. I keep one around to ship a rifle every now and again. Otherwise I agree with the above. I dont think it adds to the value you to much but makes it easier to sell. Although there are a couple exceptions....

I have a pre-64 model 70 in 30-06 that my grandfathers best friend purchased in 56 I believe. Not sure. I will have to look back. That rifle was his hunting rifle for many years and took many many deer. He built a wooden box to hold it, a sling, an old weaver 4x scope, and some hand warmers. But he kept the original box from Winchester and the sales receipt from the shop he purchased it from. Box is mint, not a scuff. Just a little dusty. People have offered me a pretty penny for that. The rifle though and stories are invaluable to me and my family and will always be passed down. I have always thought I should reload a batch for it and take a deer with it in memory.

life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who THREATEN it!!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't own a warehouse, and I do not sell any of my firearms.

1Minute
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by 1minute
Don't own a warehouse, and I do not sell any of my firearms.

Me neither.

I do have a shipping container though....and it has some boxes in it.

Buddy threw away a box the other day......had the bolt in it.

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Save em, beats the chit outta searching dumpsters when you sell one!!!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My friend bought a Winchester boys rifle as new in the box.
The box is worth as much as the rifle.
As rare as a like new kids gun made in the 20s is,the boxes are even rarer.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Always save your Kimber box.......

It just makes it easier to send the rifle back to Kimber

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Always save your Kimber box.......

It just makes it easier to send the rifle back to Kimber

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

The only answer that makes sense.

I know many guys are hung up on having the original box...and I never figured that out.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I generally do save the boxes, but I buy and sell guns quite a bit, so keeping the boxes around for a few years (or, sometimes, a few weeks or months) makes it easier to ship 'em--if I have to ship 'em. Which is why the rafters of maybe 1/3 of my shop are filled with rifle and shotgun boxes.

But with rare exceptions, the boxes don't add value other than handiness.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
In 50 years maybe..

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
i have never got more for a gun because i had the box....and i would never pay more for one with the box but i use all my rifles

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I save mine, and I'd get pretty steamed if someone casually threw them away. In fact, most any collectible item - camera, guns, fishing reels, knives, I save the box.

On newer guns it would add a small amount of value. If you are OCD about getting rid of all clutter, empty boxes, etc, and don't care what it's worth in 30-50 years, fine, go ahead, it makes mine worth more smile

There was a guy on Antiques Roadshow last year, who had a Rolex watch from the early 60's. He'd bought it new when he was stationed in Germany, and had taken meticulous care of it. Had all the boxes, receipts, manual, certificates, an extra Rolex band, service receipts, you name it. He figured it might be worth $5k. The appraiser stunned the owner, when he told him that the watch was worth about $40k, but because he had all the other stuff with it, it would be worth about $70k.

If you had a really desirable collectible gun, like say a S&W Registered Magnum, and had the original box, it's going to add a LOT of value.

Save yer boxes! Or Not! smile

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 06/19/18.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Seafire

When we cleaned out Mom's house I found the box for my Winchester mod 94 30-30 I got in 1967.

Price was $68!

Ted
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Running out of room, wife keeps asking do you really have 40 plus rifles because there are 40 plus boxes in the basement. Then i ask do you really have 600 plus purses? Shuts her right up.To her credit they are all vintage items that take up less room than my stuff. Tell her that if she passes before me that selling those purses will provide me with lots of playing options.

Last edited by sidepass; 06/19/18.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I recently pulled a box and shipping carton for a 1984 vintage Ruger double action from a dumpster. On a lark, I put it on ebay and realized $37. I'll take it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a corner of my attic filled with all my rifle, shotgun and handgun boxes. I even have a crap load of scope boxes. I've had dealers ask if I have the box when I'm pedaling a gun at the gun shows. Like many others have said, it may or may not add any value but I think it does help to have the box & papers when selling. Good for shipping too.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have them going back to 1966.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’m a big fan of the boxes!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd save them if I owned a warehouse. Not sold a unit yet, and I won't care when I'm pushing up daisies.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think they add to the value. Not all inclusive but having the box etc. can imply ownership from purchase. Personally i like collecting the boxes. Just me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some of the boxes, like the gold S&W postwar boxes, were beautiful in their own right, and are a great compliment to a fine gun.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What is this "Sell a firearm"?

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Borchardt

I don't know, but it sounds like Sacrilege.....

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Seafire

My local gunshop usually offers about 90% of blue book value on trade, maybe it is 80%. Not sure. They do ok and offer more than pawn shops etc. They do bump the grade of the rifle up by 1 grade if you have the box, which usually gives you a decent amount of money more. If I buy something dirt cheap and it doesnt sell, or trade for enough money, I consider trading it in down there. I usually make a bit on the trade in and it helps me get into something nice at a better price. On the positive side, they can have some pretty good prices on used guns at that shop.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by Borchardt

I don't know, but it sounds like Sacrilege.....

I don't know, I've sold some that I didn't think were that accurate..
and was able to buy something else that was...

like my first 260 Rem was a brand new VLS, that someone has ordered and thought
he was getting a Model 7 in 260...

I horsetraded a Marlin in 44 Mag that shot a pattern at 50 yds....but I got $50 more than I paid

for it ( $300.00) and bought that VLS for that $350.00 I got for the Marlin 44 Mag...

I had no guilt about that.. I do have guilt about selling an accurate rifle.. I'd rather just give it away
than sell it...that offsets the loss, feeling I'm doing something good for someone...

and yes, I have that box for the 260 VLS from 1998... in case someone was going to ask...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

276 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 36 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,625
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.