Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Looking for information on how these pay hunts usually go....I’ve only heard about one pay to shoot hunt where the buff’s had a colored circle ⭕️ painted on their sides. Shoot a red painted buff it cost X amount of money... You shoot a blue colored one, it cost more than the red painted buff.

Are these hunts usually free range? I would think fences have to be used or these big boys would be long gone.

Do these private hunts have a feel of real hunting? Or, is it more like you get driven out to a field and there they are...Pick one out to shoot and write a check?

I’ve never eaten buffalo except for store sold “Beffalo” hamburger. Cross a bison with a beef cow, you get “Beffalo.” Is Buffalo good eating like beef?

What would I be looking at cost wise for a hunt to shoot a buff with horns for a shoulder mount? And a hunt to shoot a non-horned meat buffalo?

Thanks...Any pics of your American Bison taken would be appreciated....Mark 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sent ya a pm

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bison hunts run $6500 or so.....find a ranch and ask directly....there's all kinds of deals available....but take a bushel basket of money...it's not cheap.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I figured it was a chunk of change...😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I last looked they were in the $3500 range.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Wow. I had no clue it cost that much.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Wyoming has state tags through a random draw. $2752 for cow, $ 4402 any bison. They are free range and can be done DIY. With the price increase this year to those levels the odds were twice as good to draw. We have had 3 Wyoming tag bison cows and they taste outstanding

[img]https://forum.eastmans.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21406&d=1526997717[/img]

Last edited by wytex; 05/22/18.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I find that these hunt are worth the money. As good a time as you make it and the meat (a lot of it) is fantastic and by the pound, its a far better value than many other hunts (for horns or antlers) Ive done them and have setup other folks on such hunts and all have been great experiences.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
One thing to remember...once you find them, whether free ranging in Montana, ranch in Wyoming, or in a pasture in Nebraska the shooting is today is pretty much that same as it was a 100 years ago.

Lefty C

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are some pretty good free range hunts available on the Crow and Cheyenne Reservations in Montana.

I am doing an archery cow hunt next June on the Crow Reservation. From all my research, it sounds like a true free range, challenging hunt.

Should be fun, I looked for a hunt like this for a long time.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Fish, sounds like you may have a good hunt..I am hearing that Indian Rez hunts might be a solid option. I'm gonna start my research with Indian land...Mark

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
One thing to remember...once you find them, whether free ranging in Montana, ranch in Wyoming, or in a pasture in Nebraska the shooting is today is pretty much that same as it was a 100 years ago.

Lefty C

Lefty, I either need a horse, bow & arrow or a Sharp's in 45-70 Gov and a set of skins to wear...Grin!

“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Do they still have tags in the Henry Mountains (Utah)? I know they used to.... and they took a loooooong time to draw.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It was, and always will be, like shooting cattle. They just ain't afraid of much and as likely to stare you down or run you over as to flee. However, if you want to shoot one go do it. Lots of good meat, an impressive mount, nice powder horns, or a good warm robe can come out of a buffalo.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Reservation hunts are behind a fence, that's not free range.It's not a high fence but still they keep them in very large pastures. Prices are very high also.
If you want a chance at a "book" bison you'll have to get a state tag, Utah, Wyoming or Montana, might have missed a state.
A Wyoming cow tag DIY is very affordable comparably. Lodging can be had for fairly cheap, Tag and Drag costs are less than $200 and you can process yourself, we did.
Our resident prices are much cheaper for tags but my cow bison hunt cost us $850 all in, that is tag, lodging, Tag and Drag, and processing for some of the burger.
A state bull tag will get you a monster B&C bull if that's what you want.
The hide was less than $500 to get tanned on top of the hunt cost.

Make sure if you book a hunt ask what you get to keep included in the price, some charge extra for the meat, you're just hunting a hide and head at some ranches. Go late in winter also, best hides.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dog- They still have the hunts on the Henry Mtns. One might even be on TV later this year...

Wytex- IIRC, a bison from Custer State Park qualifies as well, even though they are technically behind fence. I think AZ has tags as well. AK has tags/hunts as well. Looks like I'll be helping a pard on a hunt there next February.

I shot a cow at Custer a couple years back before the prices spiked. Glad I got in when I did, but it wasn't much of a "hunt".
[Linked Image]Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great pic Tyler!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That made a good rug I bet...Nice one. Thx, for the picture. 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
wytex....Good information. Appreciated! 😎

“Molon Labe”
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You're right pointer, great cow. I found the link to the B&C eligibility list of bison :https://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRecords/records_boundaries.asp?area=bgRecords

Quite a few spots after all. I would look into all the states and places for how they draw or sell hunts. Some may have decent odds.

Last edited by wytex; 05/22/18.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,962 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,697
Posts18,456,685
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.