Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Was given a charter arms undercover.38 with the cylinder completely locked up. The gun functions fine, solid lockup (pun intended), full rotation of the cylinder in both single action and double action.

I have a email in to charter, guess we shall see how good their customer service is.

For curiosity sake, is there any one who has encountered this problem before? Any suggestions?

Know the price was rite, so I don't mind to pay to get it fixed.

Thanks,
Burt2506

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
So that means you can't swing open the cylinder?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can you remove the side cover, and operate the release from inside?

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Yes, sir...you are correct. I cannot open the cylinder. The cylinder release is fully inoperable.

I have not tried to open the side cover......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What one man has assembled, another can disassemble, but how good are your jigsaw puzzle skills for reassembly?

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Shrouded ejector rod or not?

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Non shrouded ejector rod.... I have tried to make sure it wasn't loose or fouled, but it too is locked up title

Lol, yes sir my youngest can break an anvil with a cotton ball....but hasn't mastered the art of repair

Not sure what I would be looking for, as I have not plunged into revolver tinkering..never had to

Thanks much,
Burt2506

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Update:
Talked to the folks at Charter. They walked me through the "delicate " process of getting the cylinder release to function....lol

Use more penetrating oil and a pair of pliers in a towel to manipulate the ejector rod, and wa-la....

Open sesame.......or in this case open cylinder. Not an elegant solution, but definitely effective.

Needs adjusting, but we will do that as we clean and function test.

Thanks guys,

Burt2506

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Doesn't sound like such a big deal. I'll bet the advice was cheap too. Didn't figure it would be a big deal.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On the old Charters with the non-shrouded ejector rod, you can pull out on the ejector rod and it will un-lock the cylinder. I'm guessing that's probably what you figured out while on the phone with Charter?

Anyhow, you still need to address the issue of why it got to that point. Most gunsmiths won't work on Charters, so you'll probably need to send it to Charter to have it fixed. I'm confident they'll take care of it and leave you as a happy customer. Just give them the opportunity to make it right before you give up on them.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
The small 'adjustment' screw under the firing pin had backed out and caused the cylinder to lock up.

The advice was free as was the revolver....Charter CS was top notch....very helpful and polite. Can't say the same for other companies.

I plan on using standard .38 loads..no +P

Thanks,
Burt2506

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by burt2506
Was given a charter arms undercover.38 with the cylinder completely locked up. The gun functions fine, solid lockup (pun intended), full rotation of the cylinder in both single action and double action.

I have a email in to charter, guess we shall see how good their customer service is.

For curiosity sake, is there any one who has encountered this problem before? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Burt2506

Sounds like the ejector rod has unscrewed itself.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Thanks,
Burt2506

Oh my

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Thanks,
Burt2506

Oh my

I hate when that happens.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,968 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,304
Posts18,468,097
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.