-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OK, you REALLY need to give Open Office a try. It has all the things MSoft's Orifice has, and even reads/imports their files. But it is open source, free, and totally without all that intrusive BS. Download it, give it a whirl for a decent time and then - if you are convinced, just dump Office. Or dump Open Office and go back to frustration. Your choice.

OPEN OFFICE

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
OK, you REALLY need to give Open Office a try. It has all the things MSoft's Orifice has, and even reads/imports their files. But it is open source, free, and totally without all that intrusive BS. Download it, give it a whirl for a decent time and then - if you are convinced, just dump Office. Or dump Open Office and go back to frustration. Your choice.

OPEN OFFICE

Or LibreOffice.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been running linux for 20 years - various flavors. DSL, Ubuntu, BSD, redhat - too many to list - they certainly have their place.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm trying LibreOffice right now, and some of the editing/word processing features simply do not work.

Maybe there is a glitch in my system, but the most maddening is the failure to select, cut and paste or copy a section of text. It works, sometimes, with great difficulty, and tends to move unintended sections of text randomly rather than select and move the section I intend to the place of my choice. I am working on two small books, mostly written, and I gotta get a new computer/word processing system for the next phase of more serious editing and formatting.

FWIW the spell check is also goofy in Libre: it usually catches misspelled words, though not enough to trust it, but at least half of the time gives anything but the obviously correct word. I.e. If you spell "Mississippe" it may give you a choice of meander, muscle or mud as correct options to replace it. To be fair, it just offered a correct spelling for Mississippe. Spell check has replaced typo misspelling errors with another kind of error: correctly spelled wrong word. smile

My bad to have hijacked a good thread into my struggles with computers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FreeOffice 2018 May be an alternative to office also

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've never had those problems with Apache Open Office. And I wrote my two books on it.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I've never had those problems with Apache Open Office. And I wrote my two books on it.

Will download it and try it. Thanks!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm using Libre Office in Windows 7 with no problems except it's slow to load. Would suggest uninstall/reinstall. A shot in the dark but it's easy and sometimes works. Could be you are missing a few modules.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

703 members (160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,870 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,163
Posts18,465,177
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.