Print Thread
Hop To
B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I received an e-mail from Kirk Mason, a PH I hunted with in Zimbabwe, that Dudley Rogers, the owner of Tshabezi Safaris, West Nicholson, Zimbabwe passed away last night from cancer.

I had hunted with Tshabezi Safaris back in 2004 and managed to take a beautiful bull elephant with almost 60 lbs of perfectly matched ivory on either side. That was a first rate hunt.

Although I had only met Dudley a couple of times, I did spend some time with his daughter Nikki and found her to be a warm and hospital person.

My deepest condolences to his family and may he RIP.

BH

Last edited by BH63; 05/23/18.
BP-B2

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
The death of Dudley has been a shock to the lot of us who knew him.

During his battle with melanoma, I was kept in the loop as to his condition via whatsap. Initially, by Dudley, then when his illness became more grave, his youngest daughter assumed the task. He was laid to rest today, Tue the 29th, in West Nicholson Zimbabwe.

As an aside: My first African safari was with Tshabezi Safaris and Dudley was my P/H. The year was 1988. Last year, 2017 was my twenty-third hunt with Dudley. During this time frame, with Dudley's guidance, I was fortunate enough to shoot twenty elephant.

We became quite good friends thru these years. I shall miss his stories, his expertise, his humour, and mostly his friendship. Sala gahle, gamina wetu.

J.Schott

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
sorry to hear. friends as good as that are hard to replace.

B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by TSIBINDI
The death of Dudley has been a shock to the lot of us who knew him.

During his battle with melanoma, I was kept in the loop as to his condition via whatsap. Initially, by Dudley, then when his illness became more grave, his youngest daughter assumed the task. He was laid to rest today, Tue the 29th, in West Nicholson Zimbabwe.

As an aside: My first African safari was with Tshabezi Safaris and Dudley was my P/H. The year was 1988. Last year, 2017 was my twenty-third hunt with Dudley. During this time frame, with Dudley's guidance, I was fortunate enough to shoot twenty elephant.

We became quite good friends thru these years. I shall miss his stories, his expertise, his humour, and mostly his friendship. Sala gahle, gamina wetu.

J.Schott

Did you ever have the chance to hunt with Kirk Mason? I shot a beautiful 60 lb tusker with him back in 2003. He was one of the keenest hunters I have ever met. I still keep in touch with him via e-mail.

BH63

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
BH63:
The majority of my hunting was with Dudley.

In 1988 I met Kirk Mason and Mitch Bunce who were at that time "appies" and could only hunt plains game and leopard. On occasion I would be paired with either Kirk, or Mitch hunting some of the plains game. Both of these young men were a pleasure to be associated with.

A good friend of mine traveled to Zim and to hunt ele with Tshabezi Safaris, and I mentioned if Dudley were unable to do the hunt, then insist that Kirk accept the hunt. My friend was successful in taking an ele, and other plains game as well. To this day my friend raves about how pleased he was with having Kirk as a P/H.

As Mugabe continued to lead Zim down the path of do return, Kirk decided it was time to move on. The atmosphere in Zim was bad, and obviously was not getting any better. I honestly believe Kirk would have remained had it not been for the fact he had a wife, and young son. If I recall, Kirk departed for Australia in 2006. At least that was the last year Kirk and I enjoyed a cold Castle, or two....

J.Schott

IC B2

M
M
I just saw this post....I hunted with Dudley and Kirk Mason on my first trip to Africa in 1990....so sorry to hear this...great people!
Mparnell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
529 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 50 invisible), 2,291 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.