Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Switch
Originally Posted by johnw
that's about as cool as it gets, and it seems so affordable...

Got me thinking that I have an old 10-22 in a beat up walnut stock. Wonder if there's a sporter 22" barrel available for it?

Green Mountain makes them in factory sporter contour. Great shooter, I believe the also have a 24"

I've got the regular 10/22 DSP (Deluxe Sporter) and I've been thinking pretty hard about those barrels. It might be the next purchase. I tend to keep things pretty "stock" but they just need a little help sometimes. Mine is certainly no target gun as-is. Even my "worst" bolt-action rifle is a good bit better, though no great shakes, either. Both guns handle nicely enough, though. That's important, too, you carry one a lot more than you shoot one.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Got me thinking that I have an old 10-22 in a beat up walnut stock. Wonder if there's a sporter 22" barrel available for it?

Green Mountain makes them in factory sporter contour. Great shooter, I believe the also have a 24"

I've got the regular 10/22 DSP (Deluxe Sporter) and I've been thinking pretty hard about those barrels. It might be the next purchase. I tend to keep things pretty "stock" but they just need a little help sometimes. Mine is certainly no target gun as-is. Even my "worst" bolt-action rifle is a good bit better, though no great shakes, either. Both guns handle nicely enough, though. That's important, too, you carry one a lot more than you shoot one.

I have the std contour SS Fluted 22" Shoots 1/2" @ 50 yds and looks very good on my Deluxe Sporter. You'll be happy with it Shoots better than my .920 barrel!

Last edited by Switch; 05/23/18.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

I have the std contour SS Fluted 22" Shoots 1/2" @ 50 yds and looks very good on my Deluxe Sporter. You'll be happy with it Shoots better than my .920 barrel!

And it handles and carries a lot better. Put a Weaver 2 X 7 rim fire scope and a Kidd trigger on mine and it a dream boat. Like it a whole lot better than the bull barrel models for field use. It is also a very classy looking rifle.

Last edited by Switch; 05/23/18.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If there is a better looking 10/22 on the planet, I haven't seen it.

It would also look great with a small, straight tube scope such as a 2-1/2, 1-4, or similar. But there is really too much drop in Ruger factory stocks for scope use (unless one of the plastic stocks with replaceable butt stock modules.)

If I wanted to keep it iron sights and get the most from them, I'd put the tallest Lyman 17A on it with inserts from Lee Shaver Gunsmithing. In fact, this post caused me to source a 22" barrel for my iron sight 10/22 (that uses a Lyman 17A) in order to get more sight radius. I changed the barrel last night, so I haven't shot it yet. But the 22" barrel increases the sight radius 15% over the 18-1/2 barrel.

Again, gorgeous 10/22!

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
In glad this thread came back around...

Thanks GunDoc7

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[quote=GunDoc7]If there is a better looking 10/22 on the planet, I haven't seen it.

It would also look great with a small, straight tube scope such as a 2-1/2, 1-4, or similar. But there is really too much drop in Ruger factory stocks for scope use (unless one of the plastic stocks with replaceable butt stock modules.)

/quote]

Unless you have a really thin or tiny face, the factory 10/22 sporter comb is plenty high for scope use IF you mount yhe scope low enough.

With a straight tubed 2.5, 3x etc scope there is NO impedimemt to getting that scope mounted low.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
^^^^^
Not to argue, as reasonable people can disagree. Except for AR15 rifles and similar, I've yet to find a rifle that works equally well, for me, for irons and a scope. But that's just me. My test is I mount the rifle with my eyes closed. If I'm not looking through the scope when I open my eyes, it is not optimal.

What I never could figure out is the 10/22 Target, which had no sights at all, seemed to have about the same drop as the standard.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

221 members (1lessdog, 257 mag, 12344mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 280ACKIMP, 25 invisible), 1,448 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,224
Posts18,447,532
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.