Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Canadian friends go to Chinese places often. We joined them once, I was not so fond of the food. how does the 'fire crowd stand on Chinese foods?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you go to the right places it can be fantastic. If you go to a crappy joint its going to be crappy. Chineese restaurants in Canada perhaps are crappy. (or at least the one you visited). Was it a burly French/Canadian lumberjack with a red and black flannel plaid shirt that found a recipe for egg rolls or one of those all you can eat buffet assembly line places that cranks out quantity instead of quality???

If you had real authentic and quality Asian food (Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Korean, etc) you may hold a different opinion. Thai and Korean is the best.

Last edited by sharp_things; 05/24/18.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grandparents first took me to SF Chinatown as kid back in the early 1970’s for Salt and Pepper Crab at the original Imperial Palace by Joe Yuey on Grant Street.

I still have a Duck Plate from the Imperial that the owner Mr. Yuey gave to my grandmother back in the very early 1960’s before I was born.

So yeah I’m a Chinese Food kinda guy.

Made by Tepco which was also a NorCal Bayarea Restaurantware company until the late 1960’s when they closed up shop.
[Linked Image]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

View comments
A Pennsylvania restaurant was dealt 18 violations and ruled out of compliance for having deer heads and brains on the premises among other unidentifiable animal body parts.

New China House, which is located in Lititz, received the series of violations from the Pennsylvania Game Commission in December, according to the state's department of agriculture website.

Despite the violations and ongoing investigation, the restaurant remained open for patrons Thursday.

According to PennLive, the eatery's owner, Chun, said that the deer parts were for soup that he was going to make for him and his wife and not customers.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-body-parts-premises.html#ixzz5GQopYtxq
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a buddy that refuses to eat in Canadian Chinese restaurants. I also have an exterminator friend who maintains he'd never eat at ANY Chinese place, he has many as clients and has seen the violations first hand..

That being said, I love Chinese food. Had bad restaurants, and many good...just like any other restaurant. The Canada thing seems like it leans towards the bad, but to be honest two of my favorite Chinese places were in Mississauga and Dundas ON.

I remember going to a Chinese food store in Detroit and looking at the seaweed, assorted fish parts, and other oddities we don't normally consider food. Then I noticed a child's plastic swimming pool filled with what looked to be normal red eared slider turtles. I told the clerk, "Oh, you sell pets too?"

He looked at me and solemnly shook his head..."Nrrooo...."

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My first exposure to Asian food was in the mid 1980's when I was visiting my future wife who was living in New York at the rime. We went to China town. Fantastic food but today folks think panda express and China buffet and other mall/take out places are Asian food when they are just thaw and heat joints. If you had authentic Asian food you would know you are eating well.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
CONCORD, N.C. - The Cabarrus County Health Department is investigating after a woman said she saw roadkill being taken to a Concord restaurant over the weekend.

That woman took a picture Sunday afternoon after she saw the people in the car pick up a dead deer off the road and throw it in the back of a car.

She recognized the car from it delivering food to her home and office.

"I just couldn't believe what I was seeing," said the woman, who didn’t want to be identified.

She called police after the car drove behind China Fun with the roadkill in the back.

PRESS PLAY: Restaurant owner explains why he brought roadkill to eatery

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A Chinese restaurant in Kentucky is closed for business after officials found road-kill in its kitchen.

Health inspectors shuttered the Red Flower Chinese Restaurant in Williamsburg after customers saw two employees wheel in a dead deer stuffed in a trash can, WYMT-TV reported.

"It was really disturbing. There was actually a blood trail that they were mopping up behind the garbage can," customer Katie Hopkins told the local television station.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love it. Can't get it here. Best was a small restaurant in Albuquerque run by a Chinese family. Home cooking, not the fancy stuff. Next was a Thai restaurant in Springfield, MO of all places where if you ordered full power the owner would come out and try to dissuade you in very broken English.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I like it. Some of the best that I ever had was in a small hole-in-the-wall place in D.C. back in '73.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While I do enjoy some Chinese food, it's not my favorite Asian style. Japanese, Korean, and Thai would be my more preferred Asian culinary styles. As with any other restaurants, chain versions are usually mediocre at best, but if one can find small, family owned versions it's usually much better. One of the few good things about living in SoCal, is there is always a good selection of great food close by. I usually cook for myself anymore, but it's nice to be <20 mins away from any kind of food one desires. Now I'm hungry, guess it's time to fire up the grill.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fabulous fair when done well, about as bad as it get when not. I imagine those that don't like it have only tried the bastardized western fair vs. the real deal.

dim sum

[Linked Image]

masters of chicken noodle soup

[Linked Image]

chilli crab

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 458 Lott; 05/24/18.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Buffets have destroyed Chinese food. Too damn many people equate quantity to quality.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dang it. Now I have a craving for Char Siu Bao

[quote=458 Lott]Fabulous fair when done well, about as bad as it get when not. I imagine those that don't like it have only tried the bastardized western fair vs. the real deal.

dim sum

[Linked Image]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

OK, I guess I have to post it.

My favorite Korean cookbook:
101 Ways To Wok Your Dog.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender

OK, I guess I have to post it.

My favorite Korean cookbook:
101 Ways To Wok Your Dog.

Of course, there are those present who are such awful people that they find that terribly funny. grin

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Put me down as a Chinese buffet eater.
Most of my experiences have been buffet, that's all us poor
rural folks get. Nothing fancy around here.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Buffet for me too.

My mother took a Chinese cooking course a long time ago.

She said it was not so easy as it looked.

I am MAGA.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We used to get very good dim sum when we lived in Calgary. Same with Brisbane Australia. Clearly the best Chinese I have had was during my business travels to Shanghai. I have not found anything good in and around San Antonio. I tend towards Thai.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I refuse to eat buffet anything.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 7 invisible), 1,606 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,557
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.