Print Thread
Hop To
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
it's hard to remember who it was back in the late 50's to late 60's who use to run the ad.

a publishing company without a doubt, is what i'm thinking.

send me a man who reads.

it was difficult for me to learn how to read.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sadly the majority don't read anymore, unless it's simple, click-bait sentences used to push people into a mindset driven by an agenda. I probably read more than 90% of people I know, and even I know I am lacking. I've purchased at least 6 books this year, and still haven't finished one of them. Also, if one is only reading simple fiction that has no rational basis to the real world, I don't consider that reading, as one might as well be watching television as it's useful content is basically nil.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Search engine.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
that's what i have found to be the case as well. reading is becoming a lost art, like handwritten cursive or so it seems.

sometimes when i was traveling from home, i would find myself reading four or five books in the same evening.

not the whole books of course, but just chapters therein. i'm not a scholar but was encouraged to read.

it's never a bad thing to know what those other 7.62 billion people on the earth are thinking.

i mean, afterall we're down here with them. the High Priests at NASA have told us.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Reading has always been easy for me. Spelling a big weak point. Somehow, I think reading easily makes spelling hard for me.

Good to see you in fine form Gus!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
Sadly the majority don't read anymore, unless it's simple, click-bait sentences used to push people into a mindset driven by an agenda. I probably read more than 90% of people I know, and even I know I am lacking. I've purchased at least 6 books this year, and still haven't finished one of them. Also, if one is only reading simple fiction that has no rational basis to the real world, I don't consider that reading, as one might as well be watching television as it's useful content is basically nil.

How about complicated fiction?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
wabigoon, you're not alone when it comes to the challenges associated with spelling.

i had a third grade teacher that just about sunk me in the spelling department.

sometimes the vowels flow as they should, and sometimes not so much.

the advertisement in those old magazines captioned my attention.

in land grant college i attended, i could hardly spell my major.

downed the window of the car, they threw in the diploma.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
It was the best of times.

It was the worst of times.

Simple fiction or complicated?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Sure, I've read quite a few of them, though I prefer to read about things that actually happened or were realistic enough to be possible. Ender's Game was an excellent read, and still one of my favorites even though I'm usually bored with Science Fiction because of it's excessive expanse into completely abstract and superfluous nature. It's probably because deep down, EG could be possible in the future, obviously not anytime soon, as we are too busy trying to figure out how many genders there are, and if it's sexist if one won't suck their girlfriend's penis.

"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Gus, you can call me Richard.

I used to follow old English easily. Gulliver's Travels , and such, not so much now. Lose of eyesight, and grey matter I suppose.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by FatCity67
[Linked Image]

IP, the mighty International Paper. they're still around. didn't have a clue as to who the buyer of the ad was. had forgotten.

IP, my goodness. i don't think that's the exact ad i recall, but the verbiage is pretty much right on.

Time magazine ran ads along those lines. probably all were by IP.

i believe IP has harvested a lot of tbr out of Russia. lol.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Reading is thinking with someone else's head instead of you own.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Don't know who he gets it from but we have a 7 year old grandson who just completed first grade and is passionate about reading already. He test out at Jr. high school levels in reading and also gets 100 % plus extra points for spelling bonus words on all of his spelling tests. He's been caught by mom and dad numerous times reading books with his little headlight at night after bed time. He's already finished the first three books in the Harry Potter series. Even his handwriting is well beyond what's expected for his age level in accuracy, legibility and neatness. He won't let anyone else do his school assignments for him either.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
My 12 year old grandson likes to read books. I enjoy reading too.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I love reading.. Always did. Had several wonderful English teachers who always encouraged us to read. I probably read a dozen books a year, plus a couple of subscribed magazines and at least 5 days a week I read a local paper and do the wonderful New York Times crossword..

Last edited by Redneck; 05/22/18.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Breathe, eat, sleep, read. Reading is the basis to enable learning. Combine learning w/ experience and you may gain knowledge. You are on the road to knowledge when you recognize what you don't know.

It does not take long to discern if a person is well read.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Sure, I've read quite a few of them, though I prefer to read about things that actually happened or were realistic enough to be possible. Ender's Game was an excellent read, and still one of my favorites even though I'm usually bored with Science Fiction because of it's excessive expanse into completely abstract and superfluous nature. It's probably because deep down, EG could be possible in the future, obviously not anytime soon, as we are too busy trying to figure out how many genders there are, and if it's sexist if one won't suck their girlfriend's penis.

So I'm good with The Bible?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

So I'm good with The Bible?

Sure, if it suits you. I've read many parts of it, many years ago, but I have never read it through. While I think that some of the material is thought provoking, most of it seems lackluster. I can say for sure though, there are MANY worse things one could spend their time reading...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (35, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 41rem, 13 invisible), 1,262 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,454
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.