Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
.458 Catastrophe (aka .458 CAT) is named accordingly...

IF YOU CHAMBER (AND FIRE) THIS ROUND IN A .300 WM, .300 WEATHERBY ETC. YOU WILL SURELY DIE!!! (Genesis 2:17).

With that said and with proof of concept completed last year in a .45-70 and a .458WM...

[Linked Image]

We are planning 458 CAT AR-10s... this year.

Brass is 7mm RM brass (or any belted magnum brass) that has been zipped down with a stepped drill bit.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Final trim...

[Linked Image]

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Pills are any .458 pill...

I happen to like the absurd...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

WAG on stability from various sources and testing... "1 in 10 twist shows stabilization at 550 to 650fps, 1 in 14 is 800-900fps, 1 in 20 twist shows 1400-1600fps."

Rebated rims are done on a lathe... I am looking for ideas on how to do them faster (i.e. some kind of World's Finest Trimmer or "Pencil Sharpener" idea.) SEND ME YOU IDEAS PLEASE!!!

[Linked Image]

A "blended" Sammi PDF...

[Linked Image]

The belt is super important on headspace lock-up... being a straight wall case that is NOT TRIMMED TO ANY PARTICULAR LENGTH (UNIMPORTANT) AND THE CHAMBER BEING A .458WM... HEADSPACE WOULD BE A KILLER OTHERWISE.

IF this concept works further... we will modify (REBATE) .450 Marlin brass. Why? The belt on the .450M is longer and will prevent the gun from closing battery... that new cartridge would no long have Catastrophic potential. We will call that one .458 Meerkat (or whatever).

FYI... the 730 gr. subs tested so far are UBER QUIET. Yes they fall like rocks, but 2 ounces of lead is still a serious gate crasher. Recoil is quite mild... LR potential is very possible with 250s-325s (think .45-70 +P capable).

I will update this project as we go forward... plan to do a 16-18" and a 10" SBR. Cans are Lane and Bowers.

Why???????????????????

Just because I can.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You're an entertainer !! wink

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
One thing for certain is that this is very interesting. Please keep us informed as you progress with your project.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I used to use a tubing cutter to cut 30-30 brass back to make 30 Herretts.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by aalf

30 Herrett - that's dating oneself . . . . . . . .

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by aalf

30 Herrett - that's dating oneself . . . . . . . .

Ha ha...probably right. Wonder how many are going to google 30 Herrett now.....

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Get one of these make a V-block with a stop been using on for years for 300 BO, 7.62x40 WT and B&M cartridges....put a little Door-Ease wax every couple cuts...only need to cut .005" longer with very little burr.....

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-mini-bench-top-cut-off-saw-62136.html

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
Get one of these make a V-block with a stop been using on for years for 300 BO, 7.62x40 WT and B&M cartridges....put a little Door-Ease wax every couple cuts...only need to cut .005" longer with very little burr.....

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-mini-bench-top-cut-off-saw-62136.html

I have the mini and the 6"... belted brass is a lot tougher than .223... switched to the stepped drill bit method and LOVE IT (super easy and fast)... but thank you for offering your thoughts... the HF stuff is great on .223 (I have done thousands of .300 B/O that way.

It is the rim end that I am having fits with... other that "one at a time on the lathe". My hope is to chuck the brass in a 1/2" drill and have some type of modified tailstock tool/World's Finest Trimmer to rebate the rim... with a positive stop on the base of the rim.

I'm just not smart enough to solve.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Sounds pretty laborious to me.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Barrel is due back from my Smith in the next few days, so loaded up some dummy rounds to to check mag/action function.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Five stuffed in a SR-25 type HexMag... [Linked Image]

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
There really is no point unless you have a case length limit like some stated do for deer hunting.
I have done it with 7mm Rem cases shortened to 1.8" but sanity prevailed and the bow hunters control over the state gun laws was sanitized.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
A few $$$ hick-ups caused the delay, but all is good now.

Parts came in and built her tonight.

A little mag work... glass her... and shoot!

Blood red in case there are any oops.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Knew there would be some tweeking...

Chamber is good and rounds (dummy) case check fine.

Dramas:

1) Guntec upper is compatible with CMMG lower, but not PSA... everything works fine except the bolt catch... tried multiple BCGs.

2) Need to blend the barrel extension... 80% of the test chamberings do not chamber smoothly...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

... and damage the brass (top of chamber impact)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

3) Tried three different mags... all will need some mods...

[Linked Image]

Need to remove material as show in red... and try again.

[Linked Image]

Not deterred

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Proofing load will be a full power/performance 500 gr. Dangerous Game .458 Winchester Magnum load with rifle strapped to a tree/bench... and a long string.

+P 450 Marlin load data after that...

Over the past few years... I have received "expert" advise from many people that state a .458WM is just too much gun for... this or that.

I listen patiently for a while... and when they allow me the chance to speak... I ask if they have ever shot one?

95% never have.

Last edited by CashisKing; 05/20/18. Reason: Typos... as always

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Mr. Cash A long life may depend on becoming good at all hazard avoidance, but would be boring as Chit.
Buy bandaids, go slow ( in aircraft, slow crashes are always better than fast ones) and enjoy your inventive nature
Good hunting
Lj

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by CashisKing

[Linked Image]

Cool project. What are you using for bolt and barrel extension, it looks a little different than standard 308 parts?

Just a thought on that barrel, looks like a pretty sharp edge on the "feed ramp" or lack thereof. In my AR wildcats I've found radiusing that edge a little helps a lot with feeding, and that might solve your brass damage issue. Of course proper working/blending of the feed ramp is the other part of that too.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by CashisKing

[Linked Image]

Cool project. What are you using for bolt and barrel extension, it looks a little different than standard 308 parts?

Just a thought on that barrel, looks like a pretty sharp edge on the "feed ramp" or lack thereof. In my AR wildcats I've found radiusing that edge a little helps a lot with feeding, and that might solve your brass damage issue. Of course proper working/blending of the feed ramp is the other part of that too.

Lilja barrel extensions...

I have multiple BCGs... trying several.

You are correct in much of what you say.

1) I blended the B/E last night.

2) I took a inside chamfer tool to the chamber mouth... TINY debur... maybe 0.0005" basically just dulled the edge to "less sharp".

3) I am trying a roll crimp on cases...

4) I dropped COL from 2.795" to 2.700"

Made a couple of mag mods...

Doing much better on feeding now.

Trigger time next week...

Keeping loads on the mild side... ladders only to 2,100 (325 FTXs). Will push harder after the barrel is broken in.

I will pop a full performance .458WM load as a proof, before I go beyond 2,100.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Another 30 Herrett shooter here. I use a Dremel tool with a fiber reinforced cutting wheel to make the first rough cut on 30/30 brass. Works great. Just make sure your cut is a little on the long side so you can square up the mouth when you finish with your case trimmer.

Last edited by Labman95; 12/26/18.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,928 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,726
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.