Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If Sitka does not draw a new one I'll post it when I get back from elk hunting.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My comments were so close to repeating Sitka's that I deleted them.

Critical: whatever you do, make the cuts symmetrical on BOTH hind legs, front legs, etc. I think that it was JJ Hack who recommended having one person make all of the leg cuts before anyone else helps skin.

Last edited by Okanagan; 12/01/15. Reason: reduce redundancy
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[Linked Image]

My attempt to PDF Art's original, uh, art, was a fail, so I used Mr Hunter's to sketch out the main idea.

The red lines indicate how Art's direction differs from the original diagram.

As Ok said, it is paramount to be symmetrical from side to side -- this is why Art's points of reference are a) behind the rear knees; and b) just IN FRONT of the talleywhacker.

Instead of meeting at the bung, the cuts should go from behind the knee to the front of the unit. They seem to be an arc in my red line version but they are pretty close to a straight line. This leaves some very nice fur for rugging, Art says.

On the chest, Art's council is to make a "cross" in the area within the red circle. This is to assure that the cuts from the front legs meet in the same place.

Hope this helps.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Talus, Much better diagram for skinning a bear to make a rug IMO. Thank you.

You can look at a bear and cut along the edge of the heavy fur on the line between it and thinner fur in the crotch. I'll add a photo showing that below. That cut will be very close to the dotted red line, and will custom cut to that specific bear's anatomy and fur pattern.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Okanagan; 12/03/15.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good picture and explanation. For simplicity I did not go into following hair lines, but it is a great way to describe what I was getting at, maybe better than mine.

Looking at your picture it is easy to visualize the wasted flap of skin created by a cut from heel to heel through the bung. Basically the entire flap between the ground at the bear's butt and the bald patch at the belly gets cut off.

I did see a bear once where the taxi cut a huge pleat in the excess bald belly skin and cranked the hair in question around... the hair did not comb out to cover the seam at all. It did not look good.

I took a couple cell pictures of the bear rugs in the local Cabela's but do not have time to edit and post them as required. Will try to get it done soon.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
There is no public land hunting in VA on Sunday, so I finally made it out to the piece of ground I've been thinking and had a look around.

I parked in a ditch on the end of the road frontage and was able to find an logging trail without much problems. It shoots straight up the mountain. Not sure how long ago the place was clearcut. Most of the timber is not very big, but big enough so that it is open hardwoods. So I followed the trail about 2 miles straight up. It gets to with insight of the ridgeline, then wraps around to the other side. I did not see a way to get the ridgline without rock climbing gear. Steep rock formations going straight up.

When I have more time and am in better shape I will find a way up there. I hiked around a bit but did not deviate from the trail too much. I could see where there had been plenty of acorns earlier. But I could only find rotten ones at this point. I only found one bear poop and it was not fresh. But I also only found one deer poop, but saw more than 2 dozen fresh rubs. Lots of good buck sign. Saw that somebody must have killed a deer recently and dragged it down the trail as there was hair left on every sharp rock.

I found a few spots where I could see a few hundred yards overlooking a couple small streams that come out of the mountain. Maybe a good spot to set up, watch and call a little.

Down by the road the state has put in 10+ acres of food plots, looks to have turnips growing.

I will try to make it back before sunup one day and see if I can get a shot a bear.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
[Linked Image]

My attempt to PDF Art's original, uh, art, was a fail, so I used Mr Hunter's to sketch out the main idea.

The red lines indicate how Art's direction differs from the original diagram.

As Ok said, it is paramount to be symmetrical from side to side -- this is why Art's points of reference are a) behind the rear knees; and b) just IN FRONT of the talleywhacker.

Instead of meeting at the bung, the cuts should go from behind the knee to the front of the unit. They seem to be an arc in my red line version but they are pretty close to a straight line. This leaves some very nice fur for rugging, Art says.

On the chest, Art's council is to make a "cross" in the area within the red circle. This is to assure that the cuts from the front legs meet in the same place.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I never did it that way but if I get lucky again this year I will give it a try.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by readonly
There is no public land hunting in VA on Sunday, so I finally made it out to the piece of ground I've been thinking and had a look around.

I parked in a ditch on the end of the road frontage and was able to find an logging trail without much problems. It shoots straight up the mountain. Not sure how long ago the place was clearcut. Most of the timber is not very big, but big enough so that it is open hardwoods. So I followed the trail about 2 miles straight up. It gets to with insight of the ridgeline, then wraps around to the other side. I did not see a way to get the ridgline without rock climbing gear. Steep rock formations going straight up.

When I have more time and am in better shape I will find a way up there. I hiked around a bit but did not deviate from the trail too much. I could see where there had been plenty of acorns earlier. But I could only find rotten ones at this point. I only found one bear poop and it was not fresh. But I also only found one deer poop, but saw more than 2 dozen fresh rubs. Lots of good buck sign. Saw that somebody must have killed a deer recently and dragged it down the trail as there was hair left on every sharp rock.

I found a few spots where I could see a few hundred yards overlooking a couple small streams that come out of the mountain. Maybe a good spot to set up, watch and call a little.

Down by the road the state has put in 10+ acres of food plots, looks to have turnips growing.

I will try to make it back before sunup one day and see if I can get a shot a bear.

Good luck! I hope you get one. My family loves bear meat and will pass over venison roast for a bear roast if given the choice.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I can tell you right now the bears are at the end of the trail in the steepest topo the parcel offers. Proximal food plots are good!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
readonly,

Good luck on your bear endeavor. I've hunted the Lexington (Moore's Creek SF and Private land adjoining) area quite a bit, along with private areas not far from Lynchburg. I've taken a 400+lb. bear and a bud killed a 500+ about 4 years back. I don't live in Va currently, but my wife's and my family all live in Va. I may head back South and retire in the Lynchburg area. As others have said, find the remote and steep country and you up your chances for nice blackies.

My BIL runs dogs and it's fun to see what the dogs have up a tree, but we shoot very few over dogs. When I hunt, I normally still hunt. Very slow pace with lots of "stop-and-stand". Sometimes I will cover 8 miles and sometimes only a few miles, but bear season in Va for me is more of a get outdoors and enjoy the hunt, with deer often being the primary game. Also, most of my days afield in Va are over holidays now that I don't live there. I hope to be hunting the last week of December with family if work allows.

Last edited by 1Deernut; 12/11/15.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
tagged.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Well I ended up tagging my bear last fall. Ironically on the place where I grew up.....hunted there close to 30 years and the first bear I ever saw on the property. 150# sow came up at very last light. Gave me a good 20 yard shot with my bow. I was very pleased. I'm having a rug made. She must have been hit by a car because she had a broken femur that was completely healed over...the processor gave it back to me. Not a young bear based on the teeth.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by readonly; 05/18/18.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It would help you to find a hunting partner, you could fall and hurt yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I am sort of thinking a good pack mule/donkey/horse would be a good idea. One old man dragging a 120 deer out aint that easy, a big bear would be almost impossible. Of course said equine companion needs to not be squeamish about a dead body on its back, or you might consider a travois.An accommodating taxidermist would probably do the skin out for you if you could get it there before spoilage.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
704 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.