Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Congrats to your son. That is a big accomplishment and he deserves all the accolades he receives. Congrats to his mom and dad, too.

To keep you from completely melting during the day, take a blue line bus tour of Charleston. The driver we had (both times) was a retired history professor and was an absolute joy to listen to. He really made history come alive and we enjoyed our 2 hours immensely. Oh, and the bus is air conditioned.

Hall's chop house. it's downtown and it's prime beef and its good. It's actually very good. And it's a bit on the spendy side but for great beef, sides, desert and wine, what's not to love there, eh?

Charleston is one of the most charming, historically important cities along the east coast and played a huge role in the Revolutionary War as well as the Civil War. Big military presence and lots of patriotic pride throughout the city. You should be treated to a spectacular 4th of July show if you're there.

Enjoy it all, my friend.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mike74
You'll like Charleston. I like SC period but I'm moving back to NC, I've begun the process. I miss it too much.

Mike, can you tell me more about this, please? I live in N.C. and was considering retiring to S.C. - maybe that's not a good idea? I'd like to hear your perspective on this. PM me, maybe?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 16bore
Shrimp and grits. Enough said.....

You beat me to it. Actually any low country seafood specialties.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Wow thanks guys. I have to drop the kids at school and help an old lady with a couple chores and I'll be back to write down some notes. We really can't wait and having gone to the Manning camp a couple times in New Orleans in July I know that this northern dweller can survive a week of 104* and 100% humidity. Much more than a week and I would melt away.

Thanks so much everyone and as we get closer or have any questions I'll be bending your ears some more

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
See it all in Charleston. Well worth a visit.
Be careful driving through Columbia on the way to Rock Hill, that "hole to hades" will be opened up at that time of year...hottest place on the face of the earth, it seems. Once you get to Rock Hill, not much to do there, unless you make the drive into Charlotte, which I don't recommend. Theres a Cabela's at the state line, Carowinds boulevard exit, and Carowinds theme park, if you like that sort of thing. Nichols Gunshop is / was close to Rock Hill, I think they're still open.

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Originally Posted by 16bore
Shrimp and grits. Enough said.....

You beat me to it. Actually any low country seafood specialties.

My wife and I enjoyed Fleet Landing Restaurant. The food was great and the prices were pleasantly low. It is the old naval station restored as a restaurant. We were there in mid-June and man was it hot and humid. Our next trip there will be in the fall.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Man, if you are from Washington you are probably not going to want to do much outside during the day in July in Charleston. It is humid, hot and very uncomfortable. I live in SC and hate the summers!

Your son will probably struggle in in the humidity while he is performing his drills. If there is a way to get him exposed to a more humid climate ahead of time I would recommend it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you can handle Louisiana heat and humidity, Charleston won't bother you. I believe the most miserable place I ever worked regarding the heat and humidity was the Baton Rouge/Lake Charles, LA region.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I spent a lot of time down there over the years. Other than the historical stuff, Charleston itself is not my style. Anytime you get a spot gone tourist and metropolitan, you lose the Southern in it. My favorite three restaurants down there are not actually in Charleston.

Melvin's in Mt. Pleasant for BBQ is #1. BBQ came through this part of the country first. Immigrants to SC perfected it with mustard sauce.

Seewee's is a trip out to Awendaw for seafood. If you want to check she-crab soup off the list, Seewee's is the spot to do it. The Seewee Center probably still has red wolves to look at. Take a gander before they're completely extinct.

Third on the list is Jack's Cosmic Dogs. While the first two were specific to the area , Jack's is just good. Blue cheese slaw dogs and fresh cut fries in peanut oil? Can't beat it with a stick.

There would be a fourth, but Gullah Cuisine closed. There are other soul food establishments in the area, but they tend more toward Southern soul food than representing Gullah food. Still, don't skip one advertising Gullah cuisine if you see it.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Have heard Charleston described as a "clean" NOLA. That's pretty accurate. Bring your checkbook, some of the best restaurants in the SE are there. Competes with NOLA and birmingham for the SE's best eats.

Have spent several big anniversaries there. A long weekend is enough.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

Go to the Hominy Grill for brunch. Over by the university.

HUSK was rated the #1 restaurant in the country a few years ago. Worth the $$$. Make reservations.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
It's been said but I'll say it again - see the Hunley. There's lots of other stuff, depending on what sort of thing you like.

Plenty of places to eat, too, so I'll suggest one that's a little different. There's a place called Ravenel Fresh Seafood just west of Charleston itself (in Ravenel). It's take-out-only, but if you're looking for a place with good crabs, that's it. You'll need a place to go back to and eat in a messy fashion; we get it when camping on Edisto.

Last edited by Pine_Tree; 05/24/18.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Spend the gas and got to Litchfield beach, Bistro.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
+ 1 on HUSK and Ravenel Seafood.....different ends of the cost spectrum, but both have great food. As for Ravenel, it is takeout, but they have a couple tables inside and outside....bring a roll of paper towels! Edit: At Husk, you might consider going for lunch....still great food, but less costly menu.

Last edited by Gregdoo; 05/24/18.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Go to:

River Street Sweets
100 N Market St
Charleston, SC 29401

www.riverstreetsweets.com

Be sure to buy some Benne Wafers while you're there. You'll love them.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
You guys have me even more excited than I was. I'll be making a list and checking it twice just to be sure not to miss out. We love seafood and will definitely be eating our share of it while we're there.

New Orleans in July was hot and sticky but nothing a dip in the pool and siesta couldn't fix. 😀 The Manning Passing Academy was excellent at keeping the players hydrated and I'm sure that Top Gun will too but I will be sure to keep an eye out for that. My son doesn't seem to mind the heat and humidity or the cold and rain just as long as he's playing football. Ahhh to be 15 again.....

Thanks again to all of you for your suggestions, they'll be put to good use.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
My wife wants to thank you for your noteworthy suggestions. She was wondering....

What towns outside of Charleston are safe and maybe close to the beach?

Good beaches?

Towns outside of the city that makes for a good home base while we take day trips. I'm not averse to driving, just traffic. 😀

Last edited by AcesNeights; 05/24/18.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Mark Clark expressway bridge was down last week - trying to drive was a zoo! Maybe it is fixed now. Isle of Palms is my favorite place to stay, usually rent a house but you can get a condo at Wild Dunes Resort on the north end of the island. My folks like to go to Folly Beach for old times sake (we lived in the area in the late 1950's) while my Dad was attached to the Army ROTC unit at The Citadel). Folly is on James Island, south of Charleston.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
love Charleston in the winter, July, not so much.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Was just there for a few days.
Don't know what your interests are, but---
Do not try to drive everywhere, parking is an issue. Park at the visitor's center and take a bus.
The buses are free, there are different routes.
There are buss tours, and carriage tours.
If history is an interest, sign up for a bus tour, there are several.
The tour to Ft. Sumter is recommended.
The market is interesting for shopping and food.
Hyman's seafood is really good. Get the low country she crap soup for sure.
Plantation tours are available.
Oh yeah, the Naval museum at Patriots Point too

Last edited by TBREW401; 05/27/18.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
652 members (222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 72 invisible), 2,823 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.