Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Tried out the new Pit Barrel Cooker today using chicken leg quarters as guinea pigs. Pretty basic with stellar roadside chicken results.About a year ago I gave my ancient WSM to my best pard as a gift and honestly kinda missed it a bit so took a chance on the PBC as they're all over the internet BBQ forums The PBC is different than the WSM in that the meat hangs vertically on hooks over the burning coals rather than resting on a grill which is a little different than most of us are used to. Loved my WSM over the years but this is a tad different and I'm hearing about guys modding their WSMs to operate like the PBC with great results. Needed a new toy and I'm a sucker for cooking stuff so I knew one had to be mine. https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com

Set the draft as directed, filled the charcoal basket up and lit it off to come up to temp then hung the leg quarters on the bars and closed it up. That's it. Meat was rubbed generously with OO and PBC all purpose rub the day before.90 minutes after closing it up I was enjoying some of the best roadside/ firehouse chicken I have ever eaten. AMAZING !Wonderful charcoal flavor and crispy skin.

Luvin' the meat on a hook concept as it really opens up a boatload of real estate rather than being limited to the size of a grill grate.

Next cook in a week or two will be a butt with ribs hanging alongside.mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Same rub.

https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/product/all-purpose-pit-rub-5-oz

Good stuff !

Denny.

GB2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
That sounds great Denny.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, it sure does !!

A friend has a "big easy" gas cooker that hangs the meat & convection cooks - hearing good things about it too !

[Linked Image]

I know it's not charcoal cooking, but ................................. !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Beyond great, Richard.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
A friend bought one. He evited us over for some ribs. It was his first try. They were very good. You will produce some great tasting food from your PBC for sure.
I like the concept. The price is right too.

Removing the water pan from the WSM and letting the juices drip on the fuel produces that grilling flavor also. Leaving a thick layer of ash below the fuel grate helps cleanup tremendously. Using the water pan for some cuts is desirable in my opinion.

Enjoy.

I finally found some Alder smoke wood locally. Bought all they had.That stuff is hard to find this side of the big muddy. I am going to try it out this weekend.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
364 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 224th, 45 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,435
Posts18,394,486
Members73,810
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.