Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I've always wanted to post this picture. This weekend seems like the right time to do so.
This is a Department of Defense photo of my dad's infantry regiment moving out during the Battle of the Bulge. The picture was taken by an Army photographer. Somewhere in that snow is a 20 year old kid that did his job well, came home and married my mom. He died in 2006 at 80 years of age from Alzheimer's and was always my hero. He always said it was the coldest he'd ever been there, and he was a tough ol mountain boy used to the cold.

God bless my dad and every other soldier who has protected our freedoms and way of life here.

Never forget!

RIP, HDH, 75th Infantry Division

[Linked Image]

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
What an iconic picture! Many thanks to your Dad for his service, from a free American!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Amazing men. Heroes all.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
great pic/// we owe your father and others a debt that cannot be paid

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
My Aunts Dad was a medic at the Battle of the Bulge. He talked about the time they were told to pull out and retreat because the Germans were 2 miles down the road. It meant they would have to leave the wounded behind. (He never got through this part without crying, he was so proud.) Not a single person left. They stayed with the wounded and the Germans were pushed back.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My uncle was there for that battle. He was a combat engineer, part of a roving patrol. They went all over the place, fixing roads, bridges, etc. Somehow his patrol never was in a firefight. They heard a lot going on around them, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Dad was there as well.
He drove a half-track in the 47th Armored Infantry Regiment, part of the 2nd Armored Division.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Uncle Paul was with Patton at the Battle of the Bugle. He was a machine gunner on a half track. He never talked about it. He's gone now. Bob

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Dad was there too. I have the diary kept by one of his men - Frank Perazzi. Out of 180 men in my Dad's company, Frank was the only one still left in the company at the end of the war in Europe. Some transferred, many killed or wounded and a few self inflicted wounds.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks. Let us never let anyone forget.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My uncle was there for that battle. He was a combat engineer, part of a roving patrol. They went all over the place, fixing roads, bridges, etc. Somehow his patrol never was in a firefight. They heard a lot going on around them, though.

Rock Chuck, my Grandpa was a Combat Engineer and at Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge. When construction crews were building a bridge over the Missouri river and traffic was backed up he'd always say " Lob some 88's over their heads and we'll see how fast they can build that Damn bridge!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
What an iconic picture! Many thanks to your Dad for his service, from a free American!

What he said ^

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My grandfather was there with the 84th Division (the Railsplitters). Also landed on Normandy in the 2nd wave. Spent 20 more years after Korea as a DI. Reserves those final years as a preacher. After all of that He and grandma were long haul drivers before he “retired” still preaching up until weeks before his death in 2014 in his late 80s. He was my inspiration to join the Marines.

Grandma was cut from the same cloth. If you want to know what a tough lady looked like check her out.

Lived through the depression in dirt poor central AR
Worked as a seamstress during WW2
Worked on her family’s farm during grandpa’s deployments when the ration book didn’t allow for enough groceries
Raised 7 kids during 2 wars often by herself
Could drive an 18-Wheeler

I’m sure many of you guys have similar stories of moms and dads, grandmas and grandpas, aunts and uncles.

Well wishes to you all on this weekend of remembrance. Thank you to my fellow vets (living and past) and Semper Fi to my Marine brothers!!

Last edited by philgood80; 05/25/18.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Lots of history in that picture.

Lest we ever forget...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Great pic--thanks for that.

We were just talking about that. My uncle was a Sargent and went up the beach and fought in the bulge. When I was young, he was a jovial salesman and I could not have imagined him as a hardcore combat Sargent. But later he told us stories..and now I thoroughly regret not talking to him and my Dad more.

He gave me six maps one of his guys, who had some talent, drew of the battle.

He told me a story regarding marching on a road, after they had got off the beach where they suffered heavy losses. A soldier was lagging and he kicked him in the ass and said, "move it soldier!" Then he saw it was a Colonel...

It was ok, he said, as the colonel got right back into the program...:)

Defend the Constitution
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
My dad was there also, with The 741st Tank Battalion.

Last edited by gunzo; 05/25/18.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My uncle (moms BIL) was there. He was with Patton when they went to the rescue. He was a Colorado farm boy that barely spoke English. He felt that to be an American he needed to serve. He followed what everybody else did and got help from people that had better English than he did. Hell, he didn't really improve a whole lot by the time he died at 83. He did have a beautiful Luger with the belt, holster, mags and mag pouches and aK98 he brought back. The 98 is a duffle cut.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Thanks guys for your uplifting comments. My old man always said Saving Private Ryan was about as realistic as Hollywood could make it, down to the "pings" of the M-1. My dad always remembered, among other things, his serial # of his M-1 until Alzheimer's started to win the battle. I found a safe queen at a local gun show that was within 100,000 of my dad's serial number and all original. It was going home with me no matter what....a few M-1's in trade and I had a rifle that was, realistically, as close as I'd ever get to holding my dad's rifle. Take it hunting with me every Veteran's Day and usually get one.

He brought home a 99% Walther PPK + holster, P-38 pistol, assorted German medals and a flag. Got two Bronze Stars of his own for doing what he did.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
And my uncle always told me he served in the 101'st during WWII. 101'st Underground Mess Kit Repair Squadron.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Very cool

Thanks

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 67 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,794
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.