-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While your dad was freezing his butt off, mine was sweltering in the South Pacific.

The next time you silently talk to your dad some night before you go to sleep, please thank him for me. These boys were tough men.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My mother's cousin was a radioman in a tank that fought in the Battle of the Bulge. Those interested in an excellent read about the Battle of the Bulge should check out "The Bitter Woods" by John S.D. Eisenhower. My Dad's WWII service was at Los Alamos, NM supporting the Manhattan Project and the effort to build the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs. Thanks to all our brave veterans no matter when or where they served.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I appreciate you sharing the picture and your love for your father.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My Dad was there at the Battle Of The Bulge. He was in the 80th Division, Light Artillery. He carried a BAR, said it was a little heavy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Father was also there as well as in the 2nd wave at Normandy. Here was in the 2nd Infantry Division. When I asked him what was the most terrible part of the war his response was

"A foxhole in the Adrienne's during the Battle of the Bulge or a foxhole in North Korea, take your pick they were both equally miserable." ....his exact words.

Till the day he passed in late October of 2013, he hated the cold. God bless all of the Greatest Generation. RIP. We owe them so much!

He is one of these guys somewhere in that line coming up the hill at Omaha Beach......

Attached Images
2nd up beach.jpg (55 KB, 98 downloads)
Last edited by Wacenturion; 05/25/18.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
What a great picture and a fine thread! Allergies must have kicked in all of a sudden. We must never forget these men!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Thanks for posting that. We owe those men everything!!!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by colorado bob
My Uncle Paul was with Patton at the Battle of the Bugle. He was a machine gunner on a half track. He never talked about it. He's gone now. Bob

My one uncle manned a 30 cal on the side of a half track over there with the 4th ID. They got caught and surrounded when the Germans broke through. Said they held on till US armor could break back through and get them out.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
great pic/// we owe your father and others a debt that cannot be paid

^This. And we pay it back by preserving the freedom they paid for with their sacrifices and lives. Communist tyranny must not prevail on our watch.

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 05/25/18.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Truly the Greatest Generation! RIP Sir! Thanks for posting the picture.

lightman
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My dad served in the Korean War and the actions shortly following Korea around Tiawan and Formosa.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for posting that iconic snapshot of history. My dad was USN then but one of his childhood buddies that he was lifelong friends with was a grunt in the battle of the bulge. Back in about 1960 he told me how he hurt his neck while they were being shelled. He was laying in a ditch with artillery shells landing all around. He was 20 or 21 at the time and said that he was so scared that he was unconsciously trying to crawl inside his helmet and didn't realize it until he felt neck pain.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wonder what force draws together all of us here who had family actively involved in WW II. Brothers of a second generation? Perhaps.

Anyway, My Dad also served in the Bulge. He was a truck driver in the Red Ball Express. Like others have said, he told very few stories, but what little he said makes me proud. Oh, and my Mom was Army, too. Stateside only, but she served.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I wonder what force draws together all of us here who had family actively involved in WW II. Brothers of a second generation? Perhaps.

Anyway, My Dad also served in the Bulge. He was a truck driver in the Red Ball Express. Like others have said, he told very few stories, but what little he said makes me proud.

The Uncle who fought in Europe always had plenty of stories. The other two Uncles that fought in the pacific didn't talk too much about it.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
My Father was taken prisoner in the Battle of the Bulge, after several months of mistreatment were many of his buddies died he escaped after being used a human shields on a train that the Allies blew up. He returned home and was never the same, he passed away at 45 when I was 8. My brothers have his flag, etc.

I was named for my Uncle Theodore that was killed in action January 1945, I inherited his flag and metals.
[Linked Image]

Ted
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My uncle was at the Battle of the Bulge. Not sure about his unit because he never talked about it much. He grew up on a small farm in Georgia during the depression and volunteered for the army like a lot of brave young men. He was one of the fortunate ones who survived the war and returned home. He was a quite man who was tough as nails and never complained about anything. He died at age 52 from cancer. He has always been one of my heros.

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by colorado bob
My Uncle Paul was with Patton at the Battle of the Bugle. He was a machine gunner on a half track. He never talked about it. He's gone now. Bob

My one uncle manned a 30 cal on the side of a half track over there with the 4th ID. They got caught and surrounded when the Germans broke through. Said they held on till US armor could break back through and get them out.

Pat------My family is also from PA. We all worked for US Steel at the Clairton Works. Made coke to make the steel with. My Dad got a deferment because of his job there. Uncle Paul went to Europe, Uncle Don went to the Pacific. Bob

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Get choked up seeing photos like that.

Amazing individuals.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My father was in the 409th of the 103rd. They were off to one side of Bastogne during the battle, but got to enjoy the same balmy weather. The worst was digging in at the bottom of a ridge with tanks on the top firing 88s at them while they shoveled.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by old_willys
My Father was taken prisoner in the Battle of the Bulge, after several months of mistreatment were many of his buddies died he escaped after being used a human shields on a train that the Allies blew up. He returned home and was never the same, he passed away at 45 when I was 8. My brothers have his flag, etc.

I was named for my Uncle Theodore that was killed in action January 1945, I inherited his flag and metals.
[Linked Image]

You must be very proud of your families bravery and sacrifice.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 9 invisible), 1,891 guests, and 712 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,406
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.