Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Alright, Pappy, it's on its way.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Parson,

FWIW, my 8x56 came with the covers. They're wonderfully made, but I replaced them with Butler creek ones because I was a little antsy about having metal coves screwed into the ends of the scope (and next to my eye). The manual cautions against shooting with the eyepiece cover in place, but taking it on and off is a delicate operation (tool is provided) and certainly not something you want to do often. Funny thing is that even with the warning, they have pictures here and there showing guys shooting with the covers folded back. If you get the covers, install the eyepiece one after you focus it to your vision.

In addition to the generous eye relief, the eyepieces have plenty of adjustment for those of a certain vintage that need a little help with focus. Some of my older scopes are "out of threads" meaning I may soon have to use mild glasses with them. All my scopes came with a battery installed, and a spare.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RevMike
Pappy:

Is the advertised weight on the 2-7 correct? Almost a pound?

Neil just put one on the scale. 1.05 pounds

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Parson,

FWIW, my 8x56 came with the covers. They're wonderfully made, but I replaced them with Butler creek ones because I was a little antsy about having metal coves screwed into the ends of the scope (and next to my eye). The manual cautions against shooting with the eyepiece cover in place, but taking it on and off is a delicate operation (tool is provided) and certainly not something you want to do often. Funny thing is that even with the warning, they have pictures here and there showing guys shooting with the covers folded back. If you get the covers, install the eyepiece one after you focus it to your vision.

In addition to the generous eye relief, the eyepieces have plenty of adjustment for those of a certain vintage that need a little help with focus. Some of my older scopes are "out of threads" meaning I may soon have to use mild glasses with them. All my scopes came with a battery installed, and a spare.

Thanks for that info. Advising to remove a scope cover must be a lawyer thing. All my Leupolds have Alumina covers on them and I've never had an issue.

Unfortunately I'm already shooting with glasses - not Ingwe glasses yet, but glasses nonetheless. shocked

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks for the confirmation, Doug.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My pleasure. If you need anything please give the call a store and speak with neil or Joel. Wife and baby come home today so I'll be away from the computer until they are both napping smile

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Outstanding! Congratulations!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
My pleasure. If you need anything please give the call a store and speak with neil or Joel. Wife and baby come home today so I'll be away from the computer until they are both napping smile

Yeah, congratulations.

If you decide you don't want any more of those noisy little creatures, PM me and I'll explain where they come from.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RevMike
It's almost perfect for say, pigs in low light.😜

Of that I have no doubt! How thick (or thin) is the center of the reticle? In other words, how much of a one-inch bullseye do you think it covers at 100 yards?

This just in, in response to a query I sent yesterday. They're quick.

Thanks for your interest in Hawke Sport Optics. The 2-7x32 LER cross hairs will cover approximately 1" on 7x MAG @ 100 yards. If you have anymore questions feel free to contact me anytime.

What fresh Hell is this?
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
The 2 I ordered came ytd. And I too am impressed and that’s not easy to do. Let’s remember we only paid about $100 a copy. The glass looks impressively clear. The eye relief is almost beyond belief. I really like the crosshires, the thick part is big enough for my aging eyes to catch quickly and the thin hairs seem adequate either light or not. Now if they hold up on the rifles I’m going to mount them on I’ll buy a few more. 🤠

IC B3

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I had to order the mounts for the 1895 Marlin so it will be mounted next week.
I did center the crosshairs with 670 clicks from one side to the other.
When I get it mounted I'll try my 350 gr hard cast bullets.
I'll cast them while waiting for the scope mounts and coat them so they won't even come close to leading.
Then I'll report my feelings about this scope handling heavy recoil.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I put one on a Ruger Ranch American in 450 BM. Put a few rounds through it thinking it might work for bears over bait at last light. Recoil is not that significant but hope to work it out over the summer in anticipation of Sept. Wis bear hunt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Drop shot.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, I sighted in a 3-9x40 with the .308/.223 reticle today on my Hawkeye AW .223. Fired one shot, ran the knobs around to line up the crosshair with the bullet hole. Next three were right on the money. Also fired the best group so far with the Ruger, 5 Fiocchi 40gr Vmaxes into just under 1/2". We'll see if that's a fluke or the real deal another time, but that ammo's pretty good stuff for $.40 a round or so. My Vanguard S2 liked it too.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
FWIW, I sighted in a 3-9x40 with the .308/.223 reticle today on my Hawkeye AW .223. Fired one shot, ran the knobs around to line up the crosshair with the bullet hole. Next three were right on the money. Also fired the best group so far with the Ruger, 5 Fiocchi 40gr Vmaxes into just under 1/2". We'll see if that's a fluke or the real deal another time, but that ammo's pretty good stuff for $.40 a round or so. My Vanguard S2 liked it too.

I think you'll come to the conclusion that the scope is a quality optic

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best $130 scope I own for certain. Think a couple of guys at the range might buy one. Asked for Doug's website.

According to the app, the 200 yard mark should be on at 229, based on the estimated velocity I fed it. Just like with a crossbow scope, once it's sighted in at 100, you can go to 200, then tweak the magnification until the 200 yard point is on target. Not a substitute for dialing but okay for minute of woodchuck. Would have preferred the simpler 30/30 reticle, but this is what they had and it's a decent range toy.

If the advertised velocity of this ammo is correct, zeroed at 100, it's -2.08 at 200, -4.86 at 250, and -9.1 at 300; pretty dang flat.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just got home to find mine had arrived. Looked it over and am very impressed. Will be mounting and shooting it soon!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yo, Doug,

Next time you talk to the Hawke people, see if you can scrounge up some Endurance 3-9x40s with the 30/30 reticle.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Another thread has had an influence on me. I just ordered one of these for my TC Contender G2 carbine in 30/30 to replace a larger scope.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Pappy:

I unpacked the scope and I really like the reticle. It's a little heavier and bulkier than my Leupolds, and the ocular is a little wider as well, but hopefully it will nevertheless fit in low Talleys on a M70 or MRC. I won't know until sub-tropical storm Alberto gets his wet butt out of here, but either way I do have a rifle for it. That said, I certainly appreciate your offer but I think I'll keep it.

Thanks again.

RM

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (35sambar, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 14 invisible), 1,619 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,656
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.