Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I haven’t killed anything with this load but I wouldn’t feel undergunned.

[Linked Image]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
in my independent testing,water filled milk jugs @ 50 yds, the 120 bt didn't do as well as I had wanted it to do. I was hoping it to be as tough as the 7mm 120 bt is purported as being,i shall test it when the weather cools off in the fall. I wanted the 6.5 mm 120 bt to work so much I gave it the benefit of the doubt and re-tested it but alas I has cup and core separation 2 outta 2 times. the 125 partition and the 130 accubond did exceedingly well though through my Tikka 260 rem. I guess it all depends on what you want your bullet to do. I personally like an entrance and an exit,with a lot of energy dumped in between, in my deer just in case I have to blood trail at dark 30. the 120 bt is super accurate in my Tikka but I'm leaning 125 partition or 130 accubond at the moment.
good luck on your bullet quest,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hanco
Buzzards and coyotes get most of ours. We clean a small one once and a while.

[Linked Image]

I thought that for a long time until we put a trail cam at my deer camp carcass pile.

It was a bunch of hogs that ate those hog carcasses... blush

Ate them down to the skeletons and in short order. It's amazing what 20-30 hogs can do to a pile of dead hogs...

I'll eat a young one, but after seeing that, most of my pork comes from the grocery store.

Old timers would catch a possum, bring him home, feed him for 2-3 weeks then eat him. Hogs are about as nasty as possums.

And, wear gloves cleaning them for Lepto, Brucellossis and other interesting diseases they carry.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
whitearrow,

Water-filled jugs are cheap and handy, but not particularly indicative of what bullets will do on big game.

The other factor is that ALL "hunting" Ballistic Tips will separate core and jacket. I know this from shooting them in calibers from 6mm to .375 (yes, Nosler briefly made a 260-grain .375 BT) into big game, not water-filled jugs.

Supposedly the core leaving the jacket is a big deal. It used to be, back when big-game bullet jackets were all relatively thin. But it doesn't matter all that much when the jacket weighs as much or more than the core, which is the case with the hunting Ballistic Tips.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
i'll give you that mule deer as what I was really trying to do with my "water-filler jugs" at 50 yds was a absolute worse case scenario. I still like the 6.5mm 120 grain bt but IF the 125 partition or the 130 grain accubond group as well outta my Tikka I will likely go with that due to the possibility of a shoulder punch where I desire a pass thru. I shot a small 90lb deer this yr with said 120 bt a touch back and high but still lung shot and got a pass thru and the deer traveled 50 yds but decent blood trail. but, I'm always nervous if I hit a shoulder knuckle. I hunt thick stuff and if a deer runs 100yds w/o a decent blood trail it probably won't be recovered and I don't like feeding the yotes when I'm in need of sausage.
thanks,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Interesting Mule Deer. The 120 BT (7mm08, 2800fps, 120 yd impact) I used on my axis hunt with Ingwe did just that, separated the core from jacket. Nevertheless, they were found right next to each other, and together weighed 80.5 grains. The Axis dropped in his tracks when shot through shoulder, broadside.

I'm really hoping the 6.5 version performs just as well.

Last edited by JGRaider; 06/15/18.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
whitearrow,

Actually, a far better "worst-case scenario" test of big game bullets is shooting into a stack of DRY (not wet) newspaper. (Wet newspaper is far more forgiving, one reason many bullet companies used it for years. Just about any bullet ends up as "perfect" mushroom.)

Have tested bullets in a lot of different kinds of media over the years, and when I really want to know what might happen when a bullet hits heavy bone, dry newspaper comes closest.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

The other factor is that ALL "hunting" Ballistic Tips will separate core and jacket. I know this from shooting them in calibers from 6mm to .375

While they often will separate, one can't say they always do -- and this is gleaned from a couple hundred or so kills of big game with them along with countless media tests. Here are just a few that didn't separate. The photos will continue into a second reply below as individual posts are limited to six images, I believe.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

For clarification, the photo below -- with the blue-tipped BT -- is actually a 7mm 120 grainer. These were a production over-run for an ammo maker that wound up being sold by the Shooter's Pro Shop.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bobby,

I didn't say that Ballistic Tip hunting bullets ALWAYS separate core and jacket. I said they all will, meaning they sometimes do.

I primarily wanted to point out that it doesn't really matter whether the jacket separates or not, because the jacket's heavy enough to keep penetrating. I know this from shooting a bunch of them from 6mm to .375 into test media, plus big game from pronghorns to elk, and similar-sized African plains game from springbok to gemsbok.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek

For clarification, the photo below -- with the blue-tipped BT -- is actually a 7mm 120 grainer. These were a production over-run for an ammo maker that wound up being sold by the Shooter's Pro Shop.

[Linked Image]

Hey Bobby, I bought a bunch of the blue tips years ago, they seem to be a little shorter than the red tips. How is your accuracy?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Pharmseller -

The ogive on Nosler bullets tends to vary slightly from lot-to-lot, and that's about my only pet peeve with them. The blue tips were the same as some reds I had on the shelf but different than others.

As to accuracy, I have seen no difference at all as long as I keep the distance-to-lands consistent..

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Bobby,

I primarily wanted to point out that it doesn't really matter whether the jacket separates or not, because the jacket's heavy enough to keep penetrating.

I agree. They typically out-penetrate comparable cup-and-core bullets -- or at least have done so in my usage.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, especially the Ballistic Tips with really heavy jackets, with 2/3 of the weight in the jacket, whch today include those from the 165-grain .30 caliber on up. These act very similarly to Partitions, retaining at least 60% of their weight.

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yep, especially the Ballistic Tips with really heavy jackets, with 2/3 of the weight in the jacket, whch today include those from the 165-grain .30 caliber on up. These act very similarly to Partitions, retaining at least 60% of their weight.

[Linked Image]

This is what a handloaded 168 NBT out of a .30-06 gets you in New Mexico.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice one.

DF

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That is an awesome elk, Pharmseller. Congrats!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Congrats Pharm

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’ll thank you on behalf of my brother, it’s his bull. My handloads, though.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 308ld, 338reddog, 15 invisible), 1,723 guests, and 767 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.