Print Thread
Hop To
R
ribka Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Back in Virginia for year working. I lived here 25 years a go ans used to fish area a lot but it has changed. Any suggestions for fishing in the area? Hit some of the local lakes and rivers.

How is lake Anna fishing? James?

GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know where you're located but the James covers a lot of area. I've never fished the central and eastern parts of the state for freshwater but there's a guy on here, Vic In Va, that catches some big catfish somewhere in the eastern part I think.

The James runs through Botetourt County near Arcadia which is more in the western part of the state, not far from the Blue Ridge Pkwy. I've fished that area years back for smallmouth bass and channel catfish. There used to be good fishing for a lot of species there and there's a good trout stream, Jennings Creek, that runs into the James. If you follow Jennings Creek up into the Jefferson National Forest there are two other decent, smaller trout streams that run into Jennings Creek but they get low and hard to fish by mid summer. Smith Mountain Lake in Bedford and Franklin counties has over 500 miles of shoreline with very good Largemouth fishing.

Further north off the Parkway the Shenandoah and Maury Rivers used to be good to great smallmouth and channel cat fishing. Back to the east there's the Rappahannock and a lot of other Rivers.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 05/26/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All the James is pretty good fishing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The James has excellent opportunities for Bass and Blue Catfish.

The tidal portion will have seasonal runs of Striped Bass, also. I caught several nice ones in the Tar Bay area.

I used to fish for the big blues, and would catch the occasional striper, but never fished for Bass. Bear in mind, I'm speaking of the tidal portion, mainly the portion from Presque Isle down to the Claremont area. Caught some big cats in the lower Appomattox, too.

I've gotten out of that business.......for now. Work has gotten insanely busy and something had to give.

43Shooter, that's some good info you provided that I might put to use if I ever fish above the Fall line. I love the feel of a big cat on the line, but there's a lot to be said for the sheer relaxation one gets from small-stream fishing.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
208 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 30 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.