-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a 6.5 Creed in a Savage 16 Weather Warrior. It was very accurate with 120 Barnes and 123 Scenar and Varget. I couldn't love it as much as my .30-06s and I let a girl I go to church with have it. She paid the price of a brand new one reasoning that it was broken in, like new, and we knew it was sub minute accurate. I will say it was very pleasant to shoot recoil considered. We own a Tikka in .308W and a Vanguard 2 in .30-06 both stainless/synthetic and both very good on accuracy. So I would guess the 6.5 CM in those rifles would be likewise. I would buy a Vanguard2 for the price and sub minute guarantee, plus like the other two I mentioned, it is a good foul weather weapon with no wood to warp or iron to rust. Remingtons are not under consideration by me anymore.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like the idea of a 140 grain .264 bullet sluffing along at 2600 or so fps. Kind of like a stripped down suped up 30-30.

As to picking a rifle. Anything in a six to six and a half pound or so, 20 to 22 inch barreled, short action rifle ought to do...for me.
But I'd be most tempted by the lowly X-Bolt Stainless Stalker, or maybe even the Micro Midas

If I wanted a fancy target rifle I'd surely pick a straight six.

Last edited by DollarShort; 05/26/18.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a Mesa that I bought last week and will probably be scoped by next weekend if UPS delivers it on time. I like the triggertech trigger that comes with these rifles a lot. Only Creedmoor I would consider would be a Tikka or a Mesa.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Yeah, Tikkas are fine, until you have a magazine fall out.....just enough to not cycle a round, from the junky release being tripped by brush. Or having the safety inadvertently pushed off by brush, because the safety is both easy to move and short in stroke. Major negatives that I've encountered with the Tikka T3, which I haven't seen happen with Ruger 77s or Remington 700s.

Must be some bad brush? Probably have issues with belts shoe laces and hats too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Beaver,

Having used every rifle mentioned, most quite extensively, except the Sauer; it takes a very specific reason for me not to go Tikka T3.

Now I may use rifles and equipment different than most, but they get used heavily and a barrel on any individual rifle seldom lasts a year.

With seeing multiples of identical rifles shot side by side the Tikka T3/x offers-

1) The best factory barrel available. Even on match guns for PRS/sniper matches we haven’t replaced the factory barrel until it’s shot out.

2) The smoothest action, with very good extraction and ejection that is consistently not as effected by blowing sand and dust as most others.

3) Great triggers out of the box. Not only in weight and feel, but again in bad conditions with dust and freezing slush they do not suffer the reliability problems that most others do (Remington 700 based triggers).

4) Factory synthetic stocks that are entirely usable, and FAR stiffer than any Remington, Winchester, Savage, etc factory plastic stock.

When laid out side by side there just isn’t an objective reason from a function standpoint to choose most others. For instance the Weatherby Vanguard suggestion. I have shot and seen shot several Vanguards and we have a Howa Alpine (which was the best version of it). And while solid rifles, none of them have been as accurate or as easy to find loads for as the worst of a couple dozen T3’s. Barrels not as good, triggers decent with only minor issues so far, action is nowhere close, and stock design/shape not as good.

For the Ruger 77- barrels haven’t been as accurate, though they have been decent and others have seen great precision, triggers OTB not as good, action is extremely rough, less options and compromised options for rails unless you want the factory setup, stocks good but not better. The Ruger American... no. They can shoot good to great, but stocks are garbage, mags show issues.. just the stocks alone... It’s a cheap gun.

Remington 700- quite possibly the worst major manufacturer. Actions not machined square, base screw holes miss-aligned, the worst trigger design, barrels are extremely variable- some good, some horrible, stocks not as stiff, etc.

As an objective view if I (and I have) need to pick a rifles setup for 20-30 guns that will just work and show excellent precision, excellent reliability, ease of use, and just generally no problems- the T3 is an easy choice. I’ve done the same with Remington. I’ve done the same with Winchester. I’ve done the same with Ruger. We’ve had considerably more problems with all of those than any of the Tikkas.

I'm not a Tikka fan, haven't seen a Barrett, and the ergs of the Bergara stocks don't work for me.

I have 2 Vanguard2s and both have been sub-MOA shooters straight out of the box, even with multiple brands and bullet weights of factory ammo. The V2 stock ergs work well for me, definitely a top 10 factory stock, but I not perfect. I tried a Boyds Heritage laminated, but found it to be too heavy and while the ergs were OK, they weren't good enough. I tried a B&C Weatherby style and liked it, but still not quite good enough. Then I bit the bullet and got a swirly McM Hunter and that is the stock that made a good rifle a great rifle for me. I put the B&C on a Howa 1500 and put the Boyds stock on a shelf to gather dust.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for all the imput you shared on the 6.5 Creedmoor rifles you own...What comes through crystal clear is you all like the cartridge for accuracy, making little clustered holes...I love the 222 Remington cartridge because it’s always been an inherently accurate round. I own 4 rifles chambered in the 222 Rem.

It would be almost “full retard” being a gun-loon to not own a 6.5 Creedmoor. I’m going with a Tikka T3x CTR in blue for a solid truck gun.

Based on what you Tikka owners have said...I can buy it and shoot it without upgrading the furniture, only dropping the trigger down to what I like 2lbs.

Mark 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
260...I know that feeling. I’ve bought more stocks then sold them off trying to find the fit I want...Frustrating, until you hit the right one. I’ve been liking the Grayboe stocks for a mid range price point...Since I have a lot of Rem action rifles, it’s been gold for me...😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
CTR for the win.... by a mile.

1/2 Mile Dog...I’ve seen your target. CTR is coming home with me soon...😎

“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Loaded up some 123 ELDs (finally ran out of 123 Amax) for my wife’s CTR .260 today, 45 grains of H4350 for 2900 fps and some change.

You going 20” or 24”?

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
CTR for the win.... by a mile.

I think you meant “to a mile” wink

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
24”... I’m not gonna load for this one...Straight off the shelf box ammo. Find what ever it really likes. Buy 10 boxes and have some fun.
I just missed a NIB SS CTR for $899.

Keeping it simple all around by throwing a 6x or 10x SWFA on it...Done 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Whelen...Copy. On it. Thx 😎

“Molon Labe”
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Beav - I just deleted the post because I noticed you wanted a 24". Wasn't sure they had one.

Their site seems to be down right now?

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10
260...I know that feeling. I’ve bought more stocks then sold them off trying to find the fit I want...Frustrating, until you hit the right one. I’ve been liking the Grayboe stocks for a mid range price point...Since I have a lot of Rem action rifles, it’s been gold for me...😎

When I logged on to this site for the first time in 2002 I had around 15 McM stocked rifles, now I have more than 70 in several different styles. 16 years later I find that I prefer the McM Hunter and Mountain Rifles styles to any of the other current styles for most of my applications. The McM Hunter is, for me, a nearly perfect match for the 24" V2 and Remington 700 CDL-SF barreled actions.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yeah...Site is down..Went there right away. All good Whelen. I will check what they got when they’re back up...Mark 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My introduction to the 6.5CM was via a $300 Howa Lightning. The first 3 shot group through it was .4 at a 100 yds. Says a lot for a cheap rifle.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
my Fierce in 6.5 Creedmoor, IS the most accurate rifle I have ever shot, not cheap, its worth it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JamesJr
My introduction to the 6.5CM was via a $300 Howa Lightning. The first 3 shot group through it was .4 at a 100 yds. Says a lot for a cheap rifle.

If the stocks work for you, the Howa 1500s are probably the best buy of rifles selling in the sub-$400 market niche.

I bought a Howa 1500 from SAS at Whittaker's for around $350 delivered, but, the stock didn't fit me particularly well, so I swapped one of the surplus V2 stocks onto it and that small change was a significant improvement for me in terms of ergs. With "as new" V2 stocks regularly selling for between $50 and $75 on eBay, the Howa 1500 with the V2 stock upgrade makes it, IMO, a better value than the RAR-P in the sub-$500 market niche if for no other reason than the lack of sub-$100 stock options for the RAR-P.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

When I logged on to this site for the first time in 2002 I had around 15 McM stocked rifles, now I have more than 70 in several different styles. 16 years later I find that I prefer the McM Hunter and Mountain Rifles styles to any of the other current styles for most of my applications. The McM Hunter is, for me, a nearly perfect match for the 24" V2 and Remington 700 CDL-SF barreled actions.

Where is the best place to purchase a McM Hunter stock?

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Remington280
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Where is the best place to purchase a McM Hunter stock?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/gearshop/

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 26 invisible), 1,913 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,499
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.