Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wytex
Reservation hunts are behind a fence, that's not free range.It's not a high fence but still they keep them in very large pastures. Prices are very high also.
If you want a chance at a "book" bison you'll have to get a state tag, Utah, Wyoming or Montana, might have missed a state.
A Wyoming cow tag DIY is very affordable comparably. Lodging can be had for fairly cheap, Tag and Drag costs are less than $200 and you can process yourself, we did.
Our resident prices are much cheaper for tags but my cow bison hunt cost us $850 all in, that is tag, lodging, Tag and Drag, and processing for some of the burger.
A state bull tag will get you a monster B&C bull if that's what you want.
The hide was less than $500 to get tanned on top of the hunt cost.

Make sure if you book a hunt ask what you get to keep included in the price, some charge extra for the meat, you're just hunting a hide and head at some ranches. Go late in winter also, best hides.

I would agree it's not "true" free range but about as close as you can get. After considerable research I am very confident it is not going to be like shooting one in a small pasture or corral.

I am not worried about record books or anything like that. I want to thrill of hunting a buffalo with a bow. Always wanted to and can't draw a tag in MT or anywhere else with my drawing luck. I can assure you I've tried!

Cost isn't too bad, I'm doing a five day hunt for $ 3,500.

To each his own but I think it will be a challenge and a lot of fun and hopefully a freezer full of meat.

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
No judgement here, I would do a ranch hunt if they were cheaper.
Good luck!! Which reservation are you going on? Some I looked at were very expensive.

Bison raffle going this morning from BOW, bowhunters of Wyoming. $50 ticket and almost sold out. Get's you a Governor's bison tag, no cost to you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck!! Which reservation are you going on? Some I looked at were very expensive.

Bison raffle going this morning from BOW, bowhunters of Wyoming. $50 ticket and almost sold out. Get's you a Governor's bison tag, no cost to you.

I'm hunting on the Crow Reservation.

The hunting area is actually up pretty high in elevation and not accessible until mid to late May is what I've been told so my hunt is in June. I'm not all the concerned with hide quality or anything like that.

There was a hunt report on another forum from a guy who was bow hunting and that is what really piqued my interest. I was going to provide the link here but for the life of me I can't find the damn thing.

And you're right, I think the trophy bull hunts are more than twice what I'm paying. If the hunt goes well and is a quality experience I'm planning on doing a bull hunt (but non-trophy sized) the next year after my cow hunt.

Edited to add link to Bowsite hunt report:

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=469914&messages=150&forum=12

Last edited by FishN4Eyes; 05/23/18. Reason: Found it!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sounds awesome, good luck !! You might keep the Wyoming bison draw in mind next year. If you could draw an any bison tag you would get a real trophy, or meat bull or cow if wanted.
Some nice bulls fall to bows up there every year.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
All good....Never felt insulted. I was curious how these hunts worked, and the cost... Unless these Buffs are running all over "Kings Ranch" in AZ or NM. I figured they would be fenced. I just started looking into Rez hunts, so i don't have a single direction, yet.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Here's an option for a chance at a tag :http://bowhuntersofwyoming.org/bisontagraffle

Raffle for an any bison tag in Wyoming. 500 total tickets, $50/ticket. Any area and the license is included in the cost, winner will only have to buy a conservation stamp to hunt. We're for 2 tickets.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tag

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
4 aces ranch and outfitter in Oregon. Their price starts at $3,400. I've hunted there four times and will go again next week.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes

The hunting area is actually up pretty high in elevation and not accessible until mid to late May is what I've been told so my hunt is in June. I'm not all the concerned with hide quality or anything like that.

There was a hunt report on another forum from a guy who was bow hunting and that is what really piqued my interest. I was going to provide the link here but for the life of me I can't find the damn thing.

And you're right, I think the trophy bull hunts are more than twice what I'm paying. If the hunt goes well and is a quality experience I'm planning on doing a bull hunt (but non-trophy sized) the next year after my cow hunt.

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=469914&messages=150&forum=12

I work on the crow rez. The area where they do the buffalo hunts is down toward the big horns and is pretty remote and country. You will not feel like your shooting one in a pen.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ringman
4 aces ranch and outfitter in Oregon. Their price starts at $3,400. I've hunted there four times and will go again next week.

Can someone tell me if the road into the 4 Aces Ranch is paved or gravel?

Thanks

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by BWalker

I work on the crow rez. The area where they do the buffalo hunts is down toward the big horns and is pretty remote and country. You will not feel like your shooting one in a pen.

Cool info, thanks BWalker. Wasn't trying to disparage your hunts there.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The only bison meat I have eaten was in resturants. Not that impressed. Like resturant trout. Don't bother (or fish of any kindif you are used to self-caught.). DIY bison free-range is likely to taste better.

We have free-range permit bison hunts in Alaska.

40 years of applying for a permit, and NADA!!

Nice that I like I like caribou and moose!

Good luck for your bison hunt!

Last edited by las; 05/26/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Reba

Can someone tell me if the road into the 4 Aces Ranch is paved or gravel?

Thanks

Most of the way is paved. But it is so winding you might drive a sports car.

Just a few more days and I'm going for my forth time.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go fourth, and enjoy....

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
But why not go first, second, or third??? wink

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Ring, That’s doable! You shooting freezer meat? Or, banging for horns to mount? 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
The only bison meat I have eaten was in resturants. Not that impressed. Like resturant trout. Don't bother (or fish of any kindif you are used to self-caught.). DIY bison free-range is likely to taste better.

We have free-range permit bison hunts in Alaska.

40 years of applying for a permit, and NADA!!

Nice that I like I like caribou and moose!

Good luck for your bison hunt!

Las, To my palate, grass feed beef is schitty! I know angus ranchers who’s specialty is selling “Grass fed” beef to restaurant and lean meat only lovers...Give me an animal that’s eating alfalfa, corn, wheat any day. I want some nice fat between the hide and meat. 😎

“Molon Labe”
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Your milage differs from mine.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

I hunted on the Crow last year with Chaz, great guy. We had four guys shoot antelope. I shot mine the first day and then got to go with the other two guys on their Buffalo hunt. It was a hunt, they were on top of the mountain (long ride on a rough, off road, road). Was really pretty on the way up there. Both the guys shot Buffalo we spotted the heard and put a mile stock on them, just trying to keep up with them. Split up and once close and dropped two of them. Lots of work once they’re down.

Had a blast out there I’ll be back this year late August taking my wife and another couple to lope hunt then down to Wyoming to guide bear hunters Sept 1st. It’s becoming one of my favorite 2 weeks out of the year and look forward to it all year

Best of luck to you and be sure to let us know how you do

Last edited by JerradPelzer; 05/27/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I keep hearing stories about these "canned" hunts.....

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

192 members (2UP, 35, 44mc, 338Rules, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 20 invisible), 1,390 guests, and 851 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,468
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.