Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have one drilling that isn't Nitro proofed nor is my combination gun. Back to that "somewhat of a romantic" bent of mine, I've always loaded Mag Tech, 2 1/2 in. brass hulls with BP and the old, traditional wad column. Even use waterglass to hold the OSC in place. Have always used the classic, "2 1/2 drams, 1 oz of shot" load as well. Works great for me! Only difficulty that arises is I have to keep the hulls separate from gun to gun as the chambers differ slightly. If I could find a 16 bore sizing die that problem would go away but every place I've looked is out of stock......unless some have arrived recently.

Much the same as my cut back plastic hulls, the brass hulls always elicit comment. Once fired the comments are.......always interesting and sometimes amusing. I really want to relate this story. The first round of sporting clays I ever shot I fired with the aforementioned drilling and BP loads. The young fella setting birds for us was.....I'm guessing 12-14 and, I suppose had never seen a shotgun loaded with BP. The first bird he tripped for me I hear OH!!!!!! right after the shot. It wasn't until we got back to the club house the young man told me, "your first shot I thought your gun blew up". Needless to say doubles on that humid, spring day down in the woods were.....nearly impossible. One of the gentlemen in the group told me, "you don't shoot too bad......if you could see the second bird". I went back a month later for a second round and proved him decidedly wrong. I didn't shoot much better with smokeless than I did BP so I do "shoot too bad". IN MY DEFENSE......I am not much of a shotgunner to begin with. If nothing else when I have a shotgun in my hands I can provide comic relief. Gimme a rifle any day!!!!

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
BP-B2

V
vixen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I viewed this Johann Springer again Saturday. It does have some issues. The main one is a fracture in the stock in the wrist area. It has had some minor freckling on the highly polished blueing. Neither of the barrels are marked, but there is a letter with the gun stating that it is a 12/over 25/35. I can't remember who the letter was from, but it was from a society of gun collectors. The drilling is mechanically solid and if the fracture was repaired and the freckling cleaned up it would still be a nice shooter. The rifle bore needed cleaning and it looked as if it had a rapid twist. The bore was dark but I think it would clean up very well. The only other issue is the original butt plate or pad is bad. I think that it is original with the drilling. He wants a grand for it and I don't think I will buy it. It does have matching serial numbers. The drilling was imported in 1920. It is still a great old piece of history.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think you're wise to pass on it. You can get a true drilling (three barrels) these days for around $1,500-$1,900, scoped and ready to hunt.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I think you're wise to pass on it. You can get a true drilling (three barrels) these days for around $1,500-$1,900, scoped and ready to hunt.

Amen. Look at Simpsons LTD for a taste of the forbidden fruit. If I lived anywhere near that shop they would have to leave a water bowl out for me because I would be the stray dog that never goes away.

Last edited by krupp; 05/21/18.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I made a big loop trough the Midwest a couple years ago and spent two days in Galesburg (great campground in town) going through guns in Simpson's shop. Ended up having them ship three guns to my FFL., they shipped the receivers and I took the barrel sets with me to save shipping. They even took me on a tour of the back rooms .

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B2

V
vixen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I've been there several times and never left without something. The back room is amazing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Vixen...

Here is a real decent gun that is improperly described as an 8X57JR. It's a post-war gun and is 8X57JRS. It is a .323 diameter bore gun, so you can load for it using standard 8mm bullets we use today. The chambers are 2 3/4", so no worrying regarding shell length that some might do. The scope is a bit big, but it's a good scope for the period. I would call and ask for Floyd and see if he would go $1,800.00. wink

https://www.simpsonltd.com/products/z23288

There's another "sleeper" there that I would discuss in private with you.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good find, luv! Were a fella so inclined the right barrel could be opened to Modified and he'd have about the perfect drilling. Only thing I saw was the front set trigger was called a double set and it isn't, it's a single set trigger. That ain't no thing....just terminology and no doubt an honest mistake.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sharps4590
Good find, luv! Were a fella so inclined the right barrel could be opened to Modified and he'd have about the perfect drilling. Only thing I saw was the front set trigger was called a double set and it isn't, it's a single set trigger. That ain't no thing....just terminology and no doubt an honest mistake.

OLD THREAD...but I just bought that gun, and it's rock solid with perfect bores. The scope is as clear as any from that period. I was going to drop it down on a gun show table and ask plenty, but it's too straight. I might keep it and sell something to pay for this one. I have to do that $ort of thing.

BUMP away from the Spam post mad

Last edited by luv2safari; 03/04/19.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by satx78247
Mule Deer,

Fwiw, after reading your original post, I called C.E. Harris (who has forgotten more about firearms & loading than most of us here will ever know) & asked him about 2 3/4" shells in 65mm chambers.
His comment was, "Well, he may get away with that & he may well lose some fingers, too. Bad plan, in my opinion, as most of those old Euro barrels are thin & many of them are unsafe with any modern shells."

Reference: the fellow who lost his left hand to an exploding shotgun barrel, I'm going by what the ER doc said that caused the injury.

As for me, I'll be cautious & have all antique firearms CAREFULLY inspected by a competent smith before firing them.
(Fyi, I started collecting hammer combination guns of various sorts in 1969.)

Note: I have a "reissued for WWI" 1888 Commission Rifle that has the "S-marked chamber". Nonetheless, it was NOT re-bored to the standard 7.9x57mm (.323 bore) size. = It shoots .320 PBCB using 10 grains of Red Dot @ 1400FPS beautifully.

just my OPINION, tex

So what is a competent smith?? I have had 2 guns worked on by 2 different smiths one was 80 and was a smith all his life ,even as a Armorer in the army, and he made a mistake that was very bad , no point in going into details about it.

the second one was recently. I had a gun worked on 2 times by him.. it appears that all he did was clean and oil it, the problem was still there after $160.00 charges. so I decided to fix it myself if I ruined it I would toss it , but it was easier than I thought..I had worked with him a long time ago and felt he was a competent smith...A third smith I took a Winchester mdl 12 12 ga take down to have the barrel adjusted. he diden't know how to take it down so I took it home. there are no more smiths in this area....

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
628 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 56 invisible), 2,865 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,149
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.