Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T

Need a tire brand recommendation.

Just put some money down to hold a small camping trailer at a local RV dealer: 3 years old, well-cared for by an Airborne vet (left a sticker by the door).

Single axle, 205/75/14 tires. I believe they are original equipment but I don't remember the brand. Listed GAWR for the axle is 2900 lbs.

Tread is good and even, but the sales guy told me the owner had stored it there for a while (not sure how long) before selling it to them. I can't assume anyone moved the trailer or jacked it up while it was in storage, outside. Tire covers in storage; unknown. There were none when I looked at it.

If I have any doubts about these tires when I start pulling, I'm going to replace them pretty darn quick.

What brands do folks like for this size camping trailer?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I typically just take the trailers down to the local les schwab and have them back the bearings and replace the tires with whatever brand they carry in house. Haven't had any issues yet, knock on wood.

Regards,

Tom
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

call these guys........

best in the business.....free ship no tax.....

https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Taskmaster/AC14R45SM.html

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The last time I bought some I went with radials instead of bias. They lasted at least 50% longer.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My experience is the tires will rot before they wear out. Hard to put enough miles on a camper trailer, i.e. popup.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
My experience is the tires will rot before they wear out. Hard to put enough miles on a camper trailer, i.e. popup.

They will rot just standing there and some say they last longer when driven more. Any tires over 5-6 years are likely unreliable, even premium Michelins, when used or stored on a trailer, unless kept out of the sunlight (which is brutal here in the desert Southwest.)

Depending on where you are, Walmart has a great selection in all price ranges and quality, even online. For years I wouldn't shop there, but since moving to New Mexico, I have found many great items in the local stores, and to my surprise, while the customers often leave something to be desired, the staff tends to be super polite and helpful.

Norm

Last edited by Anjin; 05/28/18.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T

Some good ideas here, thanks.

I hadn't given Walmart and Costco a thought before, but I definitely will, now.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My TT has that same size tire. I just bought 5 (spare also) of the Goodyear Endurance for it and they have been great so far. They cost more than the others, but they are built much stronger too. Most places can order them and install them. These are the only trailer tires that I could find made in the US for this size.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Some good ideas here, thanks.

I hadn't given Walmart and Costco a thought before, but I definitely will, now.

Checking online, I noticed that the same modest priced tires were available at both Walmart and Costco.

I chose a different one from Walmart, very good deal, and my five tires for a tandem trailer plus spare should be delivered to my rural Walmart in Edgewood by today, for installation there.

That way I can avoid driving the trailer into Albuquerque.

I chose the ST205/75R15 8-Ply Trailer King II ST Radial Tires, for only $43.87 each, plus installation. Reviews are good (4.7 of 5), though I do not know if 8-ply rating for a radial actually means 8 ply. It should be fine for my needs.

I read somewhere that ALL ST rated tires are specified at 65 mph tops.

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
HOPE THIS HELPS

Trailer, or "ST", tires are considered a special category in the current global design standards of Tire and Rim. The major difference is that trailer tires are required to carry 10% more load than an equivalent P-metric size tire.

LT type tires are actually on a lower formula and would require a significant size or load change to meet the trailer load requirements.

In the design process, we evaluate what works best under trailer applications/conditions. We typically find that a narrower tread width and a shallower non-skid (tread depth) provides a better overall performance in a free rolling position. This is one case where wider is not better.

There are significant design differences with these tires and this explains why trailer tires are in a special
category. In addition, that is why we recommend using trailer designed or trailer specific tires in trailer towable applications.

Sincerely,

Steve McKay
Consumer Relations
Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company

TRAILER-TIRE CONSTRUCTION
Commonly encountered tires are P (passenger car), LT (light truck) and ST (special trailer). While each tire series shares basic construction methods, such as bias or radial belts, a bead, tread plies and so on, the details vary meaningfully among the three. Considerations in designing tires used on trailers include the need to carry heavy loads, the relative lack of cornering loads, long duty cycles (the tires can be expected to sit for a year; then rotate for days on end during long trips). Furthermore, because the design of most trailer suspensions dates back many decades, ST tires are designed for as soft a ride as possible so they don't transmit too much shock to the trailer and its contents.
Trailer-tire sidewall stiffness is a compromise between P and LT designs. The desire for stiffer sidewalls is still occasionally cited as the reason for choosing a bias-belted trailer tire. While passenger-car tires are nearly all radials these days, ST tires are still available in bias-belted construction. Radial trailer tires are superior in all respects to bias-belted tires except in sidewall stiffness. Reduced tire heat, lower rolling resistance and softer ride are among the benefits of radials, not to mention extended wear. On the road, ST tires share some characteristics of passenger-car tires, but are closer to the design of light-truck tires. Trailer tires typically employ heavier steel or poly-ester cords and somewhat lighter sidewall construction than light-truck
TRAILER-TIRE SAFETY
continued
tires, and trailer tires typically run lower air pressures than their truck counterparts. This gives ST tires good load-carrying capacity; but with the desired softer ride. ST tires also have the advantage of rubber compounds that are specifically designed to resist deterioration from the elements, including sunlight and ozone, during extended storage.

for comparison
ST 225 x 75R 8PR
load cap 2540
psi 65
OD 28.3
SW 8.9
tread 9/32

LT225 x 75R x 15 8PR
load 2205
psi 65
OD 28.4
SW 9.1
tread 17/32

even if the LT tire was a 10 ply IT still wouldn't have the load carrying capicity of the ST

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Goodyear endurance (not marathon). ST tires, not p metric or lt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Continental, Hankook, maxxxis, and other make a 195r14 that I think is about the same height. It’s a commercial van tire, equivalent to an LT, load range D. Just last night I was looking them up, they are used on vanagons, and commonly on trailers in Europe and Australia. But in the US the tire shop will tell you it’s dangerous and they will recommend a China bomb instead.

I’m convinced ST tires are rated differently. And I don’t think it’s because they are actually stronger than an LT. They rate them 10% higher than they would the exact same tire if it was an LT. An LT is absolutely rated and legal for use with trailers. An LT is rated to safely carry people, they can be used on drive and steer axles, and they can be run faster than 65mph. Not so with an ST, no wonder they can make them in China and still rate them for a higher load.

The whole sidewalk stiffness issue that supposedly makes ST radials safer baffles me. Seriously if it was an issue you woulld see better performance with bias ply tires instead of radials on trailers. And I don’t hear about a lot of blowouts with LT on heavy loaded pickups or trailers, but sure do with trailer tire on trailers.

Sean
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maxxis 8008 st tires 205/75r14
Load range C 1760#, 26.1” tall
Load range D 2040# 26.1” tall

Hankook 195r14
Load range D 2094# 26.3”tall

Sean
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I put goodyear radial marathons on my jon boat the last time. They have held up well. Another thing, get them balanced. It will keep them from wearing funny. I know that sounds dumb to balance a trailer tire but it will keep them from cupping and help them last longer

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
https://yourfulltimervliving.com/rv...uld-you-replace-tires-on-your-rv-trailer

Have read this before after 3 years 1/3 of the life of tire is gone most recommend replacing them in 3 -5 years.

Kind of my rule on our lousy Alaska roads esp. on single axle trailers.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One thing to add...I believe that the new Goodyear endurance have a higher speed rating, higher pressure rating, and higher load rating than the equivalent sized China ST's. Most folks don't keep it at 65 mph or below. Trust me, the money you save on second rate tires is way less than the damage, inconvenience, and potential danger from a single blowout. Especially on a single axle trailer.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

194 members (300jimmy, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 2UP, 23 invisible), 2,234 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.