Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Someone at my huge work parking lot scratched my 2014 Outback fender. They left their contact number and want to use their insurance to pay. There are 2 scratches, largest being 3 inches. The scrape goes to the metal, so it needs repainted. Looks like they dropped something down the side because the scratches are like a check mark? I will take it to the dealer for an insurance quote. So guess what it will be priced at... Answer on Tuesday I hope. I asked some people and they told me some very high numbers in my view.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Had a similar scratch put on my wifes car, when a 16 yo kid was trying to park his dads long wheel based truck next to her. Right at a grand as I recall.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Terryk
Someone at my huge work parking lot scratched my 2014 Outback fender. They left their contact number and want to use their insurance to pay. There are 2 scratches, largest being 3 inches. The scrape goes to the metal, so it needs repainted. Looks like they dropped something down the side because the scratches are like a check mark? I will take it to the dealer for an insurance quote. So guess what it will be priced at... Answer on Tuesday I hope. I asked some people and they told me some very high numbers in my view.

Probably opened the door with a big "tailwind" and it got away from them. I'll guess $1350.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Dealer quote- $1200+

The guy on the other side of town who does a better job than the dealer- $500 +/-

Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I kinda like scratches, so I'm just going to pocket the check. Interesting to see the estimate.

IC B2

Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cost depends on whether insurance is paying. Most small repair shops will give you a break if you are paying yourself.

OTOH, I once had a shade tree mechanic in New England decline to fix some damage, saying "Use them for seeds." wink

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Cost of repainting a fender 1k +or minus a hundred

Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
672.00 at Subaru.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
672.00 at Subaru.

WOW , not bad

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I was going to guess $1000 also.

FWIW that can be fixed without painting the whole fender. Find a shop that specializes in small paint and bumper repairs and they'll be able to fix that by spot painting and blending it to the fender. I had a BMW 535 that had a couple of small paint scratches when I got it, both worse than that, and they fixed them both for $500 with the repairs being completely undetectable. I wouldn't have believed it but they turned out perfect. A big benefit to that is that you preserve as much of the factory finish as you can and with today's factory painting systems that's always going to be more durable than a repaint by a body shop. Of course if you go to a regular body shop they're going to say you have to repaint the fender, but after seeing what these guys can do I'd never let a body shop talk me into repainting a whole fender for a small scratch like that.

Call a local new car dealer and ask who they use for their touch up. All dealers have somebody on call because often new cars come off the truck with rock damage or curb rash from the high school kid that loaded it on the trailer. You'd be surprised how many "new" vehicles have been touched up. If the dealer won't tell you then call a local paintless dent repair guy, he'll more than likely have a touch up guy that he works with if he can't fix something 100% by paintless repair.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You need to paint that now before it starts rusting unless you let the shop fix it.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
672.00 at Subaru.
So what is your time and lost vehicle use worth?

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by baltz526
672.00 at Subaru.

Unfortunately, insurance doesn’t cover lost time and only covers a rental if you’ve paid for the rental car endorsement.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by baltz526
672.00 at Subaru.

The payers insurance is USAA, and they offered me a rental car when it would be in the shop. I declined their offer for a rental. And I think you are right, this little event is a PIA. My time taking it for appraisal, dropping it off, picking it up, and filing a claim does add up. So a day lost for sure.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Geeze that's alot for that little bit of work. I hit a deer with my Grand Cherokee a couple years ago. Folded and creased the front fender, bent the hood, cracked the bumper cover, and broke the headlight housing and grill. Local body shop straightened the hood, replaced front fender, bumper cover, grill and headlight housing and repainted all. Total bill was 1600.00.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Buy a bottle of touch up paint and put the cash in the bank if that's all it did.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have to get a door on my Tundra repainted because some idiot didn't know how to drive a shopping cart. Had the truck been older I wouldn't even bother but I have a 50 dollar deductible and the truck is right at a year old , i will have it painted. 516.44 2 days work. Erie Insurance there is no better Auto or Home insurer anywhere .

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[Linked Image]

Yeah if they would give me a check for $672 for those little scratches, it would go in my savings and I would buy one of those little bottles of touch-up paint with the brush in the cap and call it "good".

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I kinda like scratches, so I'm just going to pocket the check.

So does it need to be fixed, or or you going to leave it and pocket the money?

If you are not going to get it fixed... I guess I'm different on that one. They were kind enough to leave their info - most folks these days just leave. If it's not bad enough to fix, I say thanks for your honesty... mistakes happen. No big deal.

If they are going to pay their deductible and their premiums are going to rise, the least I could do is get it fixed...

To each, their own...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,339
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.