Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
The Walmarts in this area sell firearms.

Same as in OK although the offering is somewhat limited.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, if we had a choice anymore, we would shop locally with a lot of Mom and Pop stores, but Walmart put all of them out of business 10-15 years ago. When it comes to guns and ammo, though, most of the local guys have hung on because Walmart doesn't stock much (except ammo) that people who seriously hunt and shoot a lot will buy.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
my brother worked there for a few yrs in sporting good, he got a pretty good discount on guns. a couple ended with me after i bought them from him.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'll gladly spend more money to support a real gun shop. I guess if WalMart is your only choice, its your only choice.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We don’t hate Walmart. We hate going there!

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My issue with Whalemart is they come into relatively small towns and open up their Super Centers with groceries and take the business away from the locals who have owned the grocery stores for generations. I'm talking mostly MN lake rat tourists that helped the mom and pop shops survive. Now they all go to Whalemart. As far as buying a gun there, nope. Not me.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The one here has the cheapest diesel around but I really hate going in there. The driveways were designed by idiots. They have a number of blocked left turns so to get out, you have to wander through the parking lot. You know what a Walmart parking lot is like. If I have a trailer in tow, I won't go in there for any reason.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by JoeBob
I go to Wal-Mart three or four times a week and I never go to Wal-Mart.

Let me explain. Three or four years ago they built a new Wal-Mart neighborhood market a mile from my house. It is great. It is clean, extremely well stocked, always has most checkout counters staffed AND plenty of self checkouts for when things are busy. It is a cinch to pop in and buy a few items a few times a week. Most trips inside the store are measured in a few minutes. I once realized that we were out of ketchup right as we sat down to eat. Seven minutes later I was back and sitting down with a bottle of ketchup. It also has the side benefit of being the best place in town to watch soccer moms in yoga pants.

But since they opened that one, I haven’t been in one of the larger superstores in town more than once or twice. I buy the groceries at th Neighborhood Market and anything elsewhere.

Walmart pretty much had to do something like that because Family Dollar but more so Dollar General and their larger Dollar General Market stores that stock fresh meat, produce and fruit, canned, packaged and frozen foods, laundry and personal products, were starting to put a noticeable hurt on Walmart's bottom line. Buy exactly what you want at usually comparable to sometimes even cheaper prices than Walmart, pay for it and leave versus trying to find a parking spot somewhere in a acres size parking lot, wandering around in their huge crowded store, waiting in long check-out lines.

Dollar General = less time wasted inside store = less likely to spend more than you intended.

A couple of examples:

This week Dollar General has had Coke and Sprite on sale at three 12 packs for $8.00 plus another $1.00 off with their cyber coupon = $7.00 for three 12 packs.
Walmart's price for Cokes - 24 pack - $7.48.

Back in early winter Dollar General had Wolf brand chilli for $1.00 a can. (I bought all they had on the shelf.)

Last edited by joken2; 05/18/18.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
There are several neighborhood markets around here. Nice and clean. None of them are in colored neighborhoods.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
They must not have the small stores in Montana.

I guess I do remember seeing a fuel pump at a Sam's Club once.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Just about all Walley’s here have gas pumps, even the neighborhood markets.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by whit
In the 1990s, Walmart went to one of the larger toy manufacturers and told them that they would buy x number of dolls at a certain price. The only way for the manufacturer to reach that price was to ship production to China. The Walmart price on the shelf for that doll was much cheaper than other stores were selling it for. I know this because my mother worked in the Toy Dept of a local retailer. Every year, she would accompany the buyers to NY for the big toy shows to help decide what would be purchased for the upcoming year. She had sales reps. tell her that was how Walmart was getting such low prices.

Walmart did this to many companies. They promised large orders if the manufacturer would meet their price point. Many smaller retail chains couldn't compete with the Walmart price.

you left out the part where they ramped up production for Wal-Mart , then next year Wal-Mart demanded they drop their price 10% or they'd find someone else

good read about retailers who dealt with Wal-Mart and what was left of them afterwards

https://www.fastcompany.com/47593/wal-mart-you-dont-know

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

The only reason to go into a Walmart .....

is to set the potato chip aisle on fire.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Ours never quit selling them.

True in Albuquerque as well, but thus far they have not resumed selling black guns, which seems stupid to me.

Most gun stores seem to report that is a major part of the current market.

Otherwise, there is not much in the gun area that I would buy there other than ammo and camping equipment. wink

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I live in a town that is mostly poor. Before Nafta we were a factory town. We have a WM supercenter. The things they sell in our store are geared to what poor people buy. They do sell guns and always have. Mostly cheaper guns but they will order anything in their catalog. I have ordered several from them. 35 miles away in Jonesboro, AR where the market is wealthier they sell to that demographic. Instead of just Savage and Marlin they have Browning and Weatherby too. They have better clothes and higher quality food. I like Walmart I can go there and get most of what I need.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
Wal Mart carries what sells.

Most of the stores out west carry reloading supplies also.

The one in Gaylord, MI does also. Bought my reloading press there.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 20 invisible), 1,448 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,312
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.