Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Read the link carefully and see where your favorite bore cleaner comes in .Coretac does not make cleaning solvents by the way. I put KG12 on a tarnished penny and it dissolved half of it in no time at all.

Let me attach this once again

I noticed WIpeout is not on the list. Coretac doesn't make cleaning solvents but their website says that they are "The Canadian Distributor for KG Products."

You don't reckon that might bias their opinion, do you?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
How long is a string?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by smokepole
Read the link carefully and see where your favorite bore cleaner comes in .Coretac does not make cleaning solvents by the way. I put KG12 on a tarnished penny and it dissolved half of it in no time at all.

Let me attach this once again

I noticed WIpeout is not on the list. Coretac doesn't make cleaning solvents but their website says that they are "The Canadian Distributor for KG Products."

You don't reckon that might bias their opinion, do you?

No, only that they sell quality products. I have used pretty much all the solvents in that test. I am down to Kg1,3 and 12 and Wipeout. Have you used their product?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No but I'm curious. Who conducted the test and what were their methods?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Some people had the time to do independent tests.

Back in 2012 there were guys on Snipers Hide or Shooter's Forum that put Copper bullets in Copper fouling bore cleaner solutions, while weighing the bullets before and after.

Typically Bore tek lost no weight and the KG12 bullet lost 1.8 grains overnight.

If you want to relive 2012, there is a new scale I got for $18 that is very accurate and precise.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0731F3F2N/

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I wonder how much solvent they used? And whether they used the same volume of the foaming bore cleaners in their liquid state? That would be an equivalent volume of solvent.

Seems that a test where you plunk a whole bullet into an unspecified volume of solvent is not very similar to what happens inside a rifle bore with a thin film of solvent contacting the bore.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder how much solvent they used? And whether they used the same volume of the foaming bore cleaners in their liquid state? That would be an equivalent volume of solvent.

Seems that a test where you plunk a whole bullet into an unspecified volume of solvent is not very similar to what happens inside a rifle bore with a thin film of solvent contacting the bore.

There are billions of out of control variable in gun culture mythology, but focusing on that one for a moment...... I don't see an easy experiment. When you smear on the solvent, there are more variables than viscosity. And there is the weight of the smeared fluid. We don;t know how thick Copper fouling is. KG12 does not remove Copper as much as give Kroil or Witches Brew a crack to creep under.

A not perfect way would be to:
0) Clean the bullet of finger prints
1) Weigh the bullet
2) Smear the bullet with solvent.
3) Weigh the bullet with solvent and calculate smear wieight
4) Wait
5) rinse the bullet
6) dry the bullet
7) weigh the bullet.
8) plot different solvent's smear weights vs Copper loss

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don’t have any of the pics any more because the host quit me, but it was about 2012 that i put pics of my copper cleaner test on Shooters Forum. It was a matter of covering bullets in various cleaners. Nothing comes remotely close to KG-12 for etching the gilding metal of bullet jackets. I do have and use Boretech products as well, and they’re quite good. Nevertheless, if I have a _serious_ copper fouling issue, it’s a waste of time to start anywhere other than KG-12, in terms of chemical cleaners.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MZ5
Nevertheless, if I have a _serious_ copper fouling issue, it’s a waste of time to start anywhere other than KG-12, in terms of chemical cleaners.

Ten out of twelve Gunsmiths agree!!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
It would interesting to note how many people posting have a bore scope.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Ten out of twelve Gunsmiths agree!!

"gunsmith" is a loose term, only outdone by "girlfriend".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by keith
It would interesting to note how many people posting have a bore scope.

I have one.

That being said, I don't go for a completely clean barrel as most do; never understood that logic. A little fouling is a good thing as far as accuracy is concerned.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Montana extreme copper killer
JB paste
Hoppes #9

Depends on level of clean needed or desired for the particular gun I am cleaning.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
... I put KG12 on a tarnished penny and it dissolved half of it in no time at all.

Not only that, it contains cyanide, according to the MSDS sheet eek
KG12 MSDS

They don't say what the concentration is ("classified information"?) and it's obviously deemed safe for sale to the general public, but still....

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 77 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,639
Posts18,398,984
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.