-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I love this film and watch it whenever it's on but based on what I've read it is not an accurate depiction of who Patton really was. The main advisor to this film was Omar Bradley and while Bradley was a good officer in his own right, he held a lot of resentment toward Patton and it reflects in the movie.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hindsight is always clearer, especially from the recliner,...but “he p —— d down his leg” — when, he dropped the first two “nukes,” EVER, on foreign soil? He helped end WWII, no matter how you argue it.

Give the guy a break with the criticism, no matter what else he could have done better from hindsight.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 05/27/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Patton wasn't your typical Californian.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always wondered why Rommel was using Patton tanks...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Was there ever a general who lived more on his (trumped up) reputation then Bernard Montgomery?

Aside from Douglas MacArthur?

Both men were average generals whose country made them into something more because they were desperate for a hero.

Truman should have allowed Patton's Army to drive into eastern Germany.

Of course he should have, but Truman was determined to help the Soviets end up in control of half of Europe after the war.

Dimocraps were always benevolent to commies that way.

Ive known several retired military officers over the years who thought very little of Patton as a hero. He was always ready to have his troops die to benefit himself and he reveled in the glory bought by the blood of others.

His vehicle hit a landmine the morning of leaving the last base he visited and spent the night at as his vehicle went over the first ridge out of the valley after hosting a party the night before that he hosted in his own honor. My Maj uncle and multiple medaled war hero was there at the time.

Patton had ordered all officers to attend to be able to hobknob and befriend them as he knew he was not universally adored. Several officers didnt attend due to their disgust with him dancing on the graves of their men and their names were taken by order of Patton and were to be courts martialed later.

My uncle was one of those officers.

Someone didnt want that to happen.

There was no way the enemy could have gotten to the road out of the encampment overnight to plant a landmine as the road was heavily patrolled.

He was essentially assasinated by some of his own troops.

America had been through a hard war and had lost a lot of fathers, brothers and sons. It needed a hero to point to- someone who could be pointed to with pride in the knowledge he had kicked the Germans backside. They had that man of pride in the prima donna Patton, in spades.

The Death of General George S. Patt...-death-of-general-george-s-patton.html ]

PFC Horace Lynn Woodring

Horace L Woodring, driver in Patton's death

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Personally, I'm inclined to believe Gen. Patton's portrayal as more likely closer to the real Patton in the movie titled, Ike: Count Down to D-Day. staring, Tom Selleck, as General Eisenhower.

As always, YMMV.

Last edited by joken2; 05/27/18.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Call me a kookista but I believe that Patton was assassinated. He wasn't buying into the post-war propaganda blitz, quite the contrary. He was having none of it and wasn't afraid to say and write what he believed.

He was a loose end to be tied up.

Read Bill O'Reilly's "Killing Patton". Sums up the whole thing.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Monty should have been sacked after Caen.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

455 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 36 invisible), 1,960 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,417
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.