Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C

Anyone know any worthwhile rope saws, or are rope saws in general barking up the wrong tree?

I have some limbs that were cracked in the storm and are stil lhung up. We'd also like to take the opportunity to trim back the tree for more sub exposure.

Its in a hell of locaiton, and the tree guys have quoted my neighbor and I some stupid high prices. I get that they earn a buck, but I dont have that sort of bucks.

Wife works at hospital and flips her lid when I climb up or get the extension ladder out. Plus, I maybe dont climb quite as good as I used to. Maybe.

SO, for limbs in the 3 - 8" diamter range, norway maple, is a rope saw worhtwhile?

I bought one at wamart for $10 and it was a joke. I tied to make one out of an old chainsaw blade and I was a joke.

Anyone know any worthwhile rope saws, or are rope saws in general barking up the wrong tree?

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds like you need a pole saw. I have an Echo with an extension or two, it goes way on out there. No way am I cutting any 8" branches without machinery.

LOL
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Sounds like you need a pole saw. I have an Echo with an extension or two, it goes way on out there. No way am I cutting any 8" branches without machinery.

Yeah, there is only one 8" branch hanging directly over my neighbors new shed. Tats the one SHE wants gone.
Most of what I want to attack is side canopy and more like 3-5",

I have a home depot pole saw, maybe12', I got all the low hanging fruit already.

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's not as easy as a chain saw but for that kind of small job I used this Fiskars pole pruner. Mine reaches up to 12'. The saw is very sharp. It goes right through limbs. It costs a fraction of the chain saw type.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Take Rock Chuck’s advice. Way mo betta.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
12' gets me to where i am now. are the 20' extensions worhtwhile, or is there too much flex?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Tree trimming is very dangerous!!!!!!!
Tree trimmers charge the $$$$$$ because they know what they are doing.

Don't trim neighbors tree.

Thank me later

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've used a rope chain saw from WalMart to trim silver maple branches 30' in the air. Big ones too, like 10 or 12".

About the most dangerous thing I've ever done, but I did it. Wouldn't try it again.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
When cutting standing timber, or trimming limbs from standing timber, you do not want to be under what you are cutting. How you avoid this with a rope saw is beyond my comprehension.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
One disadvantage I see would being unable to make that cut under the branch so it will break clean instead of ripping when it comes loose. The teeth are probably different than a chain saw so it will cut both ways.

Sometimes it is worth finding the money to have someone else do it. Remember, branches are bigger than they look when you cut them off, so you need a chipper and the other stuff

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I see one once to cut a substantial limb, about 6-7". What a pain. Very slow and it's a problem keeping the chain from getting pinched then getting it loose. It s a last option for me.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
I see one once to cut a substantial limb, about 6-7". What a pain. Very slow and it's a problem keeping the chain from getting pinched then getting it loose. It s a last option for me.

Yep. This is what the cheap one did even on small branches.

This isnt my first go around with cutting trees or limbs by a wide margin. And the rope saw question came up because it is the last option for me as well. Due to the location on the steep slope with very little access and the large limbs hanging over the new shed, (and my location) the quotes are several thousand dollars. Not happening.

The "standing under it" issue is accomplished by being on the side of the hill in the neighbors yard and/or on my deck. The property is steeply sloped. Tree in my yard and substantially overlapping neighbors.

Rope saws not getting a lot of thumbs up, so I am thinking they all suffer the same problems the crappy one I had did, and are a poor solution to the prblem.

Prbably just going to climb the thing when my wife isnt home. Maybe I'll video tape it so you guys can get a good laugh if SHTF.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by gregintenn
When cutting standing timber, or trimming limbs from standing timber, you do not want to be under what you are cutting. How you avoid this with a rope saw is beyond my comprehension.

"Avoid" is such a strong word. More like you "dodge" and hope that you timed it right.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought one of these. Bees knees.

Harbor Freight electric pole saw

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Then you never bothered to read the instructions that comes with it. I have 3 rope saws at present, and will use them for any branch up about 8-10" in diameter, and about 25' in height. (That would be the limit of the ropes.) I use a lead 1lb ball with a eyebolt sunk in it, and a 100' hank of paracord to put the line right where I want it, clip the pull rope for the saw to the tail with a dog clip, and drag it over the limb. The only tricky part is getting the chain teeth facing down. (There is a short lever on one end of the saw blade to rotate the blade down) once in place it can be done with one man, but is far easier with 2 people spread wide. If one man works the saw, it is rotated from one side, then the other. You do NOT stand below it, ever. A piece of 1" dowel rod gives a good grip, and feels much better than pulling a 1/4" nylon rope.
I have used cables in place of the ropes, and it works, but is not as easy to use.
I bought my last full size one at Buckeye Power Equipment (the do lawn machines) and I have a light duty smaller set (new) in my hunting gear to clear shooting lanes, or gather deadwood.
To prevent the blade from getting pinched as the limb starts shifting. Keep sawing. And go as fast as you can. It will drop just fine. As long as you don't stop or slow down too much. The blade will keep cutting, and the leverage is working for you.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have a rope saw and have been using it for 20 years. Can't give the brand name because it is at home and I am on the road in the truck.

Works very well, your first problem is getting the rope over the limb, I wound up getting a slingshot and a 3/4 ounce lead fishing weight, tie monofilament to it, and fire it over the limb. Then pull the rope up with the monofilament.
There is a little steel arm about 4 inches long that gets the correct side of the chain down, just shake it a few times and it gets it right.

I have cut about 60 branches with this saw, the biggest 4 inches. I have only used it by myself.

How do you keep the branch from landing on your head, and killing you? Well, I don't have a degree in Engineering from MIT, but what I do is stand to the side. This also helps keep the sawdust out of your eyes.

Damn little thing works pretty well, I just whacked, last week, a couple of 3 inch branches about 28 and 30 feet high, on the sycamore tree, were blocking my view of the sunset.
I like this little saw, I have done all kinds of work with my chain saw, including I have built 6 custom log houses, including the house I live in.
I cut all kinds of firewood with my 3 chain saws, and, I have whacked at least 120 trees to get my views, up here in the NC mountains. Have whacked all kinds of 95 foot, 3 foot diameter trees and I am good with a chain saw to say the least.

But, getting up on a ladder with a chain saw, that is a very dangerous thing. I have done it, more than once, but, MUY PELIGROSO!
If you can't get that limb with the rope saw just hire a pro and pay your dues, whatever the guy charges it is cheaper than getting your fractured femur repaired at Mission Memorial Hospital.

And a week later, when you get out of Mission Memorial, on crutches, that limb will still be there, laughing at you.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Could you rent some safe way scaffolding for a day,That would be nice.Dabble.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Based on the last couple posts I am going to give a decent rope saw a shot. I'll toss $50 and a few hours at it.

if that doesnt work, it'll stay like it is.

but today we went canoeing instead.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
alright. here, hold my beer

My diploma is a DD214

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.