Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Photos at https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12883195#Post12883195

Barrel: 22”, cut down from factory 23.6”

Action: Large ring commercial Mauser-type action made by CZ. Standard adjustable CZ trigger with set-trigger feature. Action has dovetails for factory rings. It has also been drilled and tapped to mount an XS Sight Systems peep sight as shown. If you’re not familiar with this sight, it combines a standing peep with a Weaver-type based with holes spaced for a Remington 700. At the time I had this work done, it was the best way to get a QD scope base and a peep sight on the same rifle at the same time. You can also take the bases off and use CZ rings with no problem.

Bottom metal: steel

Sights: rear peep as described above, with fiber-optic front in an NECG banded ramp.

Stock: standard CZ 550 American stock, which is great at soaking up recoil. Factory 1” Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad. Finish is the standard factory varnish, which is coming off in a couple of places due to use. Action has been glass-bedded and free floated.

This is a superb heavy-duty hunting rifle chambered for a versatile medium-bore cartridge. I know from experience that this one handles very quickly in thick brush, and is deadly on bigger animals. Metal and wood show wear from hunting and carrying.

These are getting hard to find, but due to modifications, price is $600 plus actual shipping.
Postal Money Order only NO PAYPAL.
Not looking for trades.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 05/26/18.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Does the peep fold down or do you have to remove it to mount a scope?

Any accuracy information?

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
It does not fold, and you don't have to remove it to mount a scope. You just have to use medium rings. Details at https://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=993546&CAT=8404

No accuracy notes, but I remember that it shot well.

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Great price!

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Can't believe somebody hasn't snapped this up yet.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Virginian07,

ME NEITHER!!! = That is one REALLY NICE rifle. = Wishing that it was in LH.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes, nice rifle. I'm thinking the market is rather small for that chambering here in the U.S. It would be a dandy for anyone heading north for a big bear.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
stevevan1,

Actually, the 9.3x62 Mauser is EXCELLENT for any game that is larger than WT deer, especially if one handloads and/or has access to GCCB. = Personally, I wouldn't take love or money for my Remington Model 760 that Jessie at JES reformatted for me.

The Prvi Partizan 285 grain load hits like "a sledgehammer between the eyes" & WITHOUT "tearing your shoulder off" AND/OR without destroying much edible meat. = 2263FPS & >3200FPE

I don't find the old 9.3x62's recoil much different than full-power 180 grain loads in my Model 760 in .30-06.

just my OPINION, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 05/28/18. Reason: addenda

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes, it's a great cartridge. I own one although I'm new to the chambering as I recently bought one and did some customizations. Currently in the load development stage. Put it together for a some day bucket list hunt to the north for a coastal brown bear hunt. I'm resisting the temptation of the listed CZ and I think I'm weakening as it would make a great back-up rifle for the one I have.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by stevevan1
Yes, nice rifle. I'm thinking the market is rather small for that chambering here in the U.S. It would be a dandy for anyone heading north for a big bear.

Yes and no. I think that it comes into its own any time you hunt game over about 450-500 pounds, especially in brushy terrain. In that respect, it fills the same bear/boar/elk niche as the 35 Whelen, 348 Winchester, 358 Winchester, 350 Remington Magnum, etc., with solid applicability in Africa if you’re headed that direction. Unlike the belted magnums, you get a five-shot magazine (if you find that important) plus ammo is getting more common in the US. It provides medium-bore punch in a relatively short, light rifle without the recoil of a 338 Winchester Magnum or 375 H&H.

Here's why I say that: years ago, I shot several feral cattle on the Big Island of Hawaii with this rifle. I was hunting on a coffee farm owned by a family friend. The cattle had been chasing his pickers out of the orchards and the was fruit rotting on the trees. Kona coffee is a big-money proposition, and this guy stood to lose tens of thousands of dollars every day. I was headed over there to hunt feral hogs, but a couple of days before I got on the plane, he called and asked if I’d be willing to hunt feral cattle instead.

No problem.

The first morning, I still-hunted the perimeter and found the trails and access points. After lunch, I was sneaking up a trail when a young bull jumped up about 15 yards in front of me. I shot him through the lungs with a 270-grain Speer semi-spitzer at about 2,350 fps. He ran in a tight little circle and piled up. After the picking crew came and hauled the carcass away, I walked over the ground to conduct an after-action review of the shot. I found a major spray of blood from the exit hole onto the brush behind where the bull had been standing. 90 degrees to the right, I found a huge spray of mucus. 90 degrees to the left, I found a huge spray of liquid feces. In other words, the 9.3x62 simultaneously knocked the snot and the sh*t out of him.

Later that day, I shot a mature female with a 286-grain Partition at about 120 yards. There was no tracking—she fell straight down in her own tracks. The other cattle that I shot with the 9.3x62 also went almost no distance at all.

I shot several more cattle in that same orchard with a 30-06 under the same conditions. I found that it killed just as well as the 9.3x62, but the animals went 100 yards or more into the brush.

The 9.3x62 hits stuff HARD. Plus it's ideal for rifle loonies, which is why I’m advertising it on 24hourcampfire.com.

Okie John

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You're preaching to the choir as I'm a member in good standing with the rifle loonies.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I am kinda more/less in the market for a 9.3x62. The advantages I see are a lighter rifle with 5 shots. Although the bigger 550 magnum in 375HH is also a 5 shot, it is very heavy for caliber - IMHO. I believe this std action 550 in 9.3 was offered in a Kevlar version. I missed that boat. And now all the 550 std action length guns are discontinued. I cannot speak for all here, but as a potential customer I am scared off with the mods. Drill and Tap in particular, not needed. The NECG peep will mount direct on the dovetail. I like the 22" barrel. But I have a irrational fear of any mods.

Ruger did a 9.3 in 77 recently, that was a bit on the muzzle heavy side.

While totally non traditional, I would pounce on a factory Ruger American in 9.3x62. Would that option be un-American?

Not many choices in 9.3x62.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by fourbore
I am kinda more/less in the market for a 9.3x62. The advantages I see are a lighter rifle with 5 shots. Although the bigger 550 magnum in 375HH is also a 5 shot, it is very heavy for caliber - IMHO. I believe this std action 550 in 9.3 was offered in a Kevlar version. I missed that boat. And now all the 550 std action length guns are discontinued. I cannot speak for all here, but as a potential customer I am scared off with the mods. Drill and Tap in particular, not needed. The NECG peep will mount direct on the dovetail. I like the 22" barrel. But I have a irrational fear of any mods. Ruger did a 9.3 in 77 recently, that was a bit on the muzzle heavy side.

While totally non traditional, I would pounce on a factory Ruger American in 9.3x62. Would that option be un-American?

Personally, I wouldn't be bothered a bit by the mods done here. The Ruger American really wants to be a CZ-550 in 9.3x62 when it grows up anyway...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Well, you are probably right.

I do have NECG peeps on a 458 Lott CZ. Works fine. There are excellent QD rings as well as factory cz rings for the 19mm dovetail.

On the other hand 22" is more appropriate barrel length, in my view.

I should not even speak up, but; just saying here is the flip side of mods. Exactly same problem in the motorcycle world. For guys like me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
fourbore,

May I gently suggest that you buy the "30-06 length" rifle of your choice & send it to Jessie at JES to reformat into a 9.3x62mm??

I would take neither love nor money for the Remington Model 760 that he did for me. = It shoots BEAUTIFULLY. ======> That is the rifle that will make the trip to Africa next year for plains game, a Cape Buff & (HOPEFULLY) a leopard.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
thanks satx,

I will consider that.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
fourbore,

WELCOME.

Fwiw, I have yet another circa 1955 "corncob" .30-06 Model 760 (which has a rusty/pitted bore & that I got "for peanuts") that will soon be headed to JES to be reformatted into a .375-06 or a .400 Brown-Whelen Improved.
(I don't need a .375 or a .400; I just want one. Further, a BIG-bore hunting rifle for less than 325USD is "a screaming bargain", imo.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
SPF

Okie John

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Okie John,

Somebody "got a deal", imVho.

yours,tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This would have been gone within an hour of the post...........had I not had a bid already sitting on GB AND had just bought a 700 BDL (too cheap to pass up, lol) Had to wait till my next monthly check.....dagnabit.

Congrats to lucky buyer......
Kind of bittersweet but I won the auction on a rifle Ive wanted since 1981. Had I LOST the bid.......this would have STILL been gone.

God Bless

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,650
Posts18,455,461
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.