-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#12829047 04/28/18
Epona Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a knife with a stag horn handle that got stained with blood. Is there any way or trick that can get the blood out of the handle? Thanks!

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Try swabbing Hydrogen Peroxide on to the affected areas or soaking. Stag Horn should be stable enough but since I never tried it, you might want to test a spot to see if it will have any cosmetic effect. I have Stag handles but they don't absorb blood. If this was fresh blood this would work...dried blood is tougher.

Bleach might work as well, but might also change the color of the Stag.

Since that piece seems to be porous, once you get the stains out you might try sealing the handle with a preservative or sealer.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I would try some Dawn dish detergent with a little Lemi-shine in warm water before I tried anything that might bleach the color out of the stag.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Hello Epona, any chance of posting a picture of the offending stain?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Epona Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks everyone for the input and sorry it took me so long to get back to you. After all, I also found that the blade got some tiny chips (even though it is Elmax steel) and decided to return it to the person who made it. He fixed the blade and somewhat the handle. He said he had sealed it before and was very surprized the it got stained, but facts are facts. Now it has almost all of the color out and should be sealed again. However, I’m not sure I can trust this knife maker that much.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
yeah, they don't stay pristine if you actually use them. Facts are facts.....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by huntsman22
yeah, they don't stay pristine if you actually use them. Facts are facts.....

Personally couldn't give a toss about staining/discolouration, but am somewhat interested in the "chipping" on the Elmax.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Stag is stag, natural material is all going to behave differently. Anyone thinking a sealant is a guarantee against things like staining probably has unrealistic expectations. I’d consider it character or put it aside for a more user grade knife. As far as Elmax chipping, it must have been run at pretty high hardness or it was used pretty hard. Elmax Is one of the few exotic stainless steels that maintains a good deal of elasticity at higher hardness. All presuming the heat treat and temper are done right in the first place of course.

Last edited by mtnman1; 05/17/18.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm perplexed by the thought that even a well made custom knife will remain pristine and unsullied after use. As mtnman1 alluded to, the road to happiness is paved with realistic expectations.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A sample of one is no reason to not trust your blade maker. Plus he did make significant progress with your issue. Minor blade chips and stained natural scales isn't all that uncommon. It's how you get treated afterwards that matters to me.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I chipped my first custom trying to chop a rabbit leg at the joint. Last time for that. Not makers fault.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
as easy as joints come apart, why chop 'em?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I don't know how many animals the top 2 knifes in this pic have seen, but it's in the triple digits. Elks scales still rocking and never a chip. Unless one is banging on barbered wire or doing something else stupid a knife ain't designed for, there is no reason to have chips in the blade.

Chips to me means incorrect heat treatment, unless you were doing something stupid with the knife.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
as easy as joints come apart, why chop 'em?
I was missing the joint and since it was a (indestrutable) custom and I was getting upset...
whack, chip.
Lesson learned. Just use hands now on legs head and guts.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Chopping with a cutting tool like a knife is like the guy who hammers the back of his axe or hatchet trying to us it like a splitting maul. Using the correct tool for the job keeps them all in good order.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm suggesting you put the knife on a display pedestal because it was obviously not made to be used as a knife.
Lord forbid it should gain some character with use!

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 204guy, 222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 69 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,116
Posts18,464,530
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.