-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Tried the search function but for some reason not coming up with anything. Wondered if anyone on here has experience with this scope? Reviews look great, return policy can’t be beat . I’m looking at the 4-12, going on a backpack hunt for mule deer in Idaho this fall. Wanted a scope I could dial, fairly light and of course quality glass. For the money this one looks hard to beat. Also looking at SWFA SS 6x. Any input would be great.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The swfa is a much better scope and on sale right now I believe.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You might also check out the weaver grand slam tactical.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
On sale where?

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
On sale where?

Probably SWFA.com

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

K
K
I have two and like them a lot.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I can think of a lot of things I would carry on a backpack mule deer hunt. A Vortex Diamondback aint one of them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm too old and fat to play this game, but if I was able and going to invest the time and money, no way would I try to chisel on something as important as my scope. It'd be top-drawer, and I'd have it on a rail with a light backup (quality red dot or a tiny scope like the 2.5 Leupold) in my pack, or irons at least. SWFA 6x42 on the low end, SHV towards the top. Maybe a Trijicon, which has a good reputation and runs pretty light.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I agree with above. I had a diamondback (not the tactical). Wasn't impressed. I sold it quickly. That was my last experience with vortex. If you want to dial, and stay inexpensive get the SWFA 6x mil-quad. Like was mentioned, they're on sale through today. 10% off what is already one of the best scope deals around. The swfa 3-9 is more versatile but more $

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CORDrew
I agree with above. I had a diamondback (not the tactical). Wasn't impressed. I sold it quickly. That was my last experience with vortex. If you want to dial, and stay inexpensive get the SWFA 6x mil-quad. Like was mentioned, they're on sale through today. 10% off what is already one of the best scope deals around. The swfa 3-9 is more versatile but more $

Why did ya sell the Diamondback?

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
It was a pain to get sighted in. Turrets were "mushy". No positive click when dialed. When sighting in, I would make an adjustment and see no change in POI, then make another adjustment and POI would change unpredictability. I planned to use the scope as a set it and forget it, with the BDC reticle, but I didn't trust it after a few times shooting and adjusting for different loads. I also found the eye relief and eye box too short/small. To its credit, it did seem to hold zero, once it was set. I also like vortex's simple BDC reticle. But after using it, I like the SWFA mil-quad reticle more.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sounds as though you are describing a Leupold.

Jim

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Yea, I've had some similar issues with Leupold too. But the vortex was worse. At least the Leupolds have good eye relief, and are quick and easy to get behind. Plus they're light. I still have 3 Leupolds mounted right now, but one is about to get replaced. I've heard some good things about vortexs higher end stuff. But my experience with the diamondback, and another owned by a hunting buddy, wasn't good. To be fair to vortex, I didn't try to use the warranty... just sold it to a guy for cheap with full disclosure. I think he was going to try shoot it, and if it was funky for him, warranty it. Never heard how it turned out.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Another good cheap option for dialing is the weaver grand slam tactictal 3-10. AKPENDUDE mentioned previously. They don't make it anymore but there are some new ones on eBay for under $200. I shot with one once and it seemed great. Never owned one. Mil turrets and reticle (SFP). Made in Japan, which I think is generally a good thing. Good reviews online. I've had good experience with one weaver I own. There is a good test and review video on the midway page, but you can't buy it from there anymore.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tried the search function but for some reason not coming up with anything. Wondered if anyone on here has experience with this scope? Reviews look great, return policy can’t be beat . I’m looking at the 4-12, going on a backpack hunt for mule deer in Idaho this fall. Wanted a scope I could dial, fairly light and of course quality glass. For the money this one looks hard to beat. Also looking at SWFA SS 6x. Any input would be great.

MM

Sale or not, go with the SWFA if your intentions are to spin a turret.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
There is no way anyone that actually shoots would recommend Diamondback Tactical with a straight face. Tracking, adjustments, and RTZ are all bad. Not to say anything of the mediocre “glass”.

The SWFA is the only scope in that price range that has proven to actually work.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
There is no way anyone that actually shoots would recommend Diamondback Tactical with a straight face. Tracking, adjustments, and RTZ are all bad. Not to say anything of the mediocre “glass”.

The SWFA is the only scope in that price range that has proven to actually work.

When you say “actually shoots” do you mean someone that puts a couple hundred rounds down range with a particular scope/rifle combo? Or do you mean someone that shoots closer to a thousand with a particular rifle/scope combo?

Serious question, not meaning anything negative by it.

MM

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

When you say “actually shoots” do you mean someone that puts a couple hundred rounds down range with a particular scope/rifle combo? Or do you mean someone that shoots closer to a thousand with a particular rifle/scope combo?

Serious question, not meaning anything negative by it.

MM

I mean someone that gets a real zero and not just “close enough”, checks zero often and shoots 1-2 MOA targets at distance and not just massive pieces of steel.

I have yet to see a single Diamondback Tactical work correctly out of the box. I know people who have had them work out of the box.... and inside 100 rounds they didn’t

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (1OntarioJim, 16penny, 160user, 22kHornet, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 24 invisible), 1,541 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,483
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.