Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Wish I had seen it...

wish i had also Gary. something about the 54 gives me tingles up my leg! grin

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Awhile back a M54 in 250-3000 on GUNBROKER had a starting bid of $499, it was a shooter, not a safe queen, and I put it on my watch list expecting it to go for north of $1200. Low and behold it sold for $499......

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Nice ol’ piece!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jericho
Awhile back a M54 in 250-3000 on GUNBROKER had a starting bid of $499, it was a shooter, not a safe queen, and I put it on my watch list expecting it to go for north of $1200. Low and behold it sold for $499......

yer killing me here!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
ismith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Jericho

I picked up a Model 54 in 22 Hornet with a Unertl scope for $1600 a couple of years ago. Comparative Model 70s were twice that and without the $500 scope. I now have Model 54s in 22 hornet, 250 Savage, 30 WCF, and 400 Whelen.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Gorgeous, late model 54 came into LGS a while back in 30 Govt 06. I already had one like it. And really couldnt afford another. Talked a great old customer into it for $695. It was a daisy.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 04/29/18.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
A Winchester M54 in 250-3000 would be a cool deer rifle, no where near as expensive as a pre64 M70, but just as hard to find.

M
M
Hey all, long time lurker but new to the site. Love the lines of a 54, my dad bought one recently and can’t figure out how to get the bolt out... without having the rifle makes it hard for me to figure out. So how do I tell him to get it out?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Mortarman0341; 05/12/18.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Pull the trigger and open the bolt... It will slide out.. The trigger is the bolt stop.. I had my trigger lightened and the bolt would come out with out pulling the trigger, used a screw as a bolt stop... Other wise very nice rifle..

Molon Labe
ismith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Distaster struck via UPS.
[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Wow. Don't have the words. I can only imagine the heartbreak I would have after the anticipation of getting that rifle after getting the deal done. Just bought a model 42 Winchester from Nathan on this board, and the only concern was actually getting it here in one piece. I didn't want to make him mad, but I asked him to please bubblewrap and pad the bottom of butt stock so the apes might not break it if dropped on butt stock. He did and it got here fine. Hope you find some justice in getting this repaired or replaced. Sorry for your rifle ending up like this. I coveted that gun when you first posted pictures of it.

Chuck

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
So which one of you gun heads won the M54 7X57MM on GUNBROKER a couple of days ago?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That is a heartbreaker of a break. Anything can be fixed, including that. Since it's broken almost square there is not much long grain-to-long grain wood surface for epoxy to give a strong bond to. What will be needed is a solid rod down the middle inside the wrist to provide strength and for glue to bond to. (1/2" or bigger diameter carbon fiber, fiberglass, etc.) Unfortunately with a break like that which goes cross-grain there is no way you will totally camouflage the break line after all is said and done, but it can be made solid enough for shooting and hunting.

Therein lies why it's so important to consider grain flow when selecting wood for a stock. Pretty/highly figured grain doesn't belong in the wrist, it's just asking for trouble down the road. (Not knowing what happened in shipping, and not knowing how well the rifle was packaged, I can't guess as to what could have been done to better protect it. It's why I'm anal about over-packaging guns for shipping- the wooden reinforcements I put into the box ahead of the gun and packing materials add greatly to the bulk and final weight of the package, and drives the cost up dramatically, but at least I never sent a gun that arrived broken. I have received guns broken due to slipshod packaging though. One was a pre-war custom Krag broken exactly like this M54 was- the idiot merely dropped it in an empty box, taped it up, and consigned it to UPS.)

I also always dismantle the rifle and position the barreled action to act as a further stiffener for the wood stock. A PIA maybe for the recipient to have to re-assemble it, but it does make for a stronger and smaller package better designed to withstand the ravages of modern shipping practices. A friend who did a career with UPS advised me that a package really needs to be able to withstand hundreds of pounds of pressure or safe arrival is a crapshoot. Imagine your package being at the bottom of a load of boxes stacked in a tractor trailer, put (thrown) there by a bunch of horny-handed hourly guys working against the clock.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 05/28/18.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
ismith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
That is a heartbreaker of a break. Anything can be fixed, including that. Since it's broken almost square there is not much long grain-to-long grain wood surface for epoxy to give a strong bond to. What will be needed is a solid rod down the middle inside the wrist to provide strength and for glue to bond to. (1/2" or bigger diameter carbon fiber, fiberglass, etc.) Unfortunately with a break like that which goes cross-grain there is no way you will totally camouflage the break line after all is said and done, but it can be made solid enough for shooting and hunting.

Therein lies why it's so important to consider grain flow when selecting wood for a stock. Pretty/highly figured grain doesn't belong in the wrist, it's just asking for trouble down the road. (Not knowing what happened in shipping, and not knowing how well the rifle was packaged, I can't guess as to what could have been done to better protect it. It's why I'm anal about over-packaging guns for shipping- the wooden reinforcements I put into the box ahead of the gun and packing materials add greatly to the bulk and final weight of the package, and drives the cost up dramatically, but at least I never sent a gun that arrived broken. I have received guns broken due to slipshod packaging though. One was a pre-war custom Krag broken exactly like this M54 was- the idiot merely dropped it in an empty box, taped it up, and consigned it to UPS.)

I also always dismantle the rifle and position the barreled action to act as a further stiffener for the wood stock. A PIA maybe for the recipient to have to re-assemble it, but it does make for a stronger and smaller package better designed to withstand the ravages of modern shipping practices. A friend who did a career with UPS advised me that a package really needs to be able to withstand hundreds of pounds of pressure or safe arrival is a crapshoot. Imagine your package being at the bottom of a load of boxes stacked in a tractor trailer, put (thrown) there by a bunch of horny-handed hourly guys working against the clock.

The rifle was well packaged, the only way it could have been better packaged would have been if it had been in a gun case. It is a bummer for sure, but like my FFL said, better have it break in shipping than while shooting. It is in good hands with Dennis Erhardt. You're right though, it is a great example of why grain layout in the wrist is so important. I received a Pre WWI Mauser Type B recently and the box it came in was trashed, rifle was fine though.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Did one of you guys win the M54 Supergrade 250-3000 on GUNBROKER?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,096
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.