Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
ericn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Hi all,
Picked up a Savage powder can a short time a go. Curiouse about the label. By miniature lead loads, is that just a reduced load? Wondering if 4 grains of any powder would get a 190 grain 303 far past the muzzle.
I wonder if there was a lighter bullet for this load, no bullet weight is specified.
Looks like Savage had a separate can and powder for full power loads.
Info seems pretty scarce.
Thanks,
Eric

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics are questionable.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

- By miniature lead loads, is that just a reduced load? ... Yes
- I wonder if there was a lighter bullet for this load, no bullet weight is specified. ... most #2 powder loads are 5 gr with a 100 gr lead bullet.
-Looks like Savage had a separate can and powder for full power loads. ... Yes, there was a second powder for standard loads
- Info seems pretty scarce. ... Very. There were different cans styles, different graphics, different powders. What do you have?

None of the powder can books have much on the subject. With the help of others here on the Forum I have acquired info on most can variations. I can help you determine what can you have.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ok, was Savage making their own powder back then? I seriously doubt it during the first decade after their startup. In turn I wonder whose powder they were re-packaging? A 5 grain charge of Bullseye would be a good all around plinking load with cast bullets, and Bullseye is the longest running powder we have, having been first produced in the 1890's. (I have loaded a bazillion loads of that nature with 155 grain lead bullets in .30 calibers over the last 50 years now. That was my first bullet mold I bought in 1968, and Bullseye and Red Dot were always the powder of choice.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
E
ericn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Thank you for the info Rick99. I had it wrong, not 4 grains, it is 5 grains like you said. The label reads miniature lead cartridges No 4, 30-30 and 303 only. Still surprising no bullet weight is mentioned.
Thank you gnoahhh, I don't have 303 dies yet, but will have to try a load like that in my 30-30.

I have some photos in my phone. Will post as soon as I get a chance to figure the procedure out.

Last edited by ericn; 05/30/18.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Make a sack full of those loads and have more fun plinking than a sailor in a cathouse after 6 months at sea. Just do not, repeat- do not, use such a light charge of Bullseye (or equivalent) with any jacketed bullets. First off why make plinking loads almost as expensive as "regular hunting" loads? Secondly you run the very real chance of sticking a bullet halfway down the bore. Ask me how I know. (Did it twice long long ago before I got it through my thick head.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Ok, was Savage making their own powder back then? I seriously doubt it during the first decade after their startup. In turn I wonder whose powder they were re-packaging?

No. Wetteren.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Ok, was Savage making their own powder back then? I seriously doubt it during the first decade after their startup. In turn I wonder whose powder they were re-packaging?

No. Wetteren.

I didn't think they were. I once read that the reason Savage quit marketing ammo is because they were pretty much attacked by the other ammo makers. Having said that, producing powder would have been an enormous task for any maker of firearms. Seems to me that the only reason Winchester got into it was because it came along with Olin when he saved their cookies in the early 30s.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by S99VG
I didn't think they were. I once read that the reason Savage quit marketing ammo is because they were pretty much attacked by the other ammo makers. Having said that, producing powder would have been an enormous task for any maker of firearms. Seems to me that the only reason Winchester got into it was because it came along with Olin when he saved their cookies in the early 30s.

I've heard about the other ammo makers ganging up on Savage, but none of them ever tried to stop making 303 Savage ammo as far as I know. Considering Savage had plans in 1897 to produce their own ammo from Wetteren, I wonder if the ammo mfr story isn't an old wive's tale?

Or maybe it was just a dispute over how much profit Savage was due from Savage branded ammo sales? That seems very possible.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

I've heard about the other ammo makers ganging up on Savage, but none of them ever tried to stop making 303 Savage ammo as far as I know. Considering Savage had plans in 1897 to produce their own ammo from Wetteren, I wonder if the ammo mfr story isn't an old wive's tale?

Or maybe it was just a dispute over how much profit Savage was due from Savage branded ammo sales? That seems very possible.

You know its always been my hunch that the 303 Savage just didn't compete well against the 30-30 Winchester. Nobody else ever chambered it and Savage didn't even bother with it in 40/45 Sporter/Super Sporter series - yet they did give their nod to the Winchester cartridge. So I don't think stopping the 303 was ever a big deal in the competitive context of the ammo market. Now stopping all of Savage's ammo production and sales would have been a much bigger deal to their competitors, but I don't know the validity of the story I mentioned above either - its just something I read a long long time ago an in a far far away land.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You know its always been my hunch that the 303 Savage just didn't compete well against the 30-30 Winchester. Nobody else ever chambered it

Savage was brand new in 1894, Winchester was 30 years old and FAMOUS - gun that won the West. It was bad luck for Savage that the 303 Savage came out the same year as the 30 WCF, they really are practically identical.

But it's not that surprising that Winchester and Marlin didn't chamber the 303 Savage when it was from a brand new startup company and they already had one.

Always thought it'd be kind of fun to get an old Winchester and Marlin rechambered into 303 Savage - just for giggle. Wonder how well they'd feed the 303? Hmm.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Always thought it'd be kind of fun to get an old Winchester and Marlin rechambered into 303 Savage - just for giggle. Wonder how well they'd feed the 303? Hmm.

I think it would be fun just to mess with the Winchester guys! Marlin guys, on the other hand, are cool in my book.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

E
ericn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Interesting conversation. I started collecting Savage rifles a couple years ago, or at least that's what I started collecting. IMO no other rifle matches the looks, gracefulness and engineering of the early rifles. To my wife's dismay I am now kinda consumed with anything Savage.

When did Savage stop marketing ammo and powder under their name?

I posted photos of the powder can in the image gallery.

Last edited by ericn; 05/30/18.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 1900 catalog states that the 1899 powder version would be shipped. The #1 1899 powder was listed for both the standard and miniature cartridges.

Next variations are the 1901, 1903 and 1911, #1 powder can that states "not for miniature loading". There are at least two other cans prior to the 1899. These are Savage Repeating Arms marked cans.

The new #2 powder, starting in 1901, has the .303 and additional .30-30 loading listed. I think this was the last #2 can produced. This is your can style. Your can is in excellent condition. Many of the cans have rusted under the paper label making them very hard to read.

The #2 powder cans seem to be more common probably because there are fewer variations. All Savage cans are a scares and a pricey item.

I think the last Savage brand ammo was around1964, I think.

(Corrected statements about the 1911 can. I found a readable can and it does list loadings for the .25-35, 32-40 and 38-55. Why 1911 vs 1904 time frame, I don't know.)

Last edited by Rick99; 05/31/18.

Rick...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a box of Savage brand ammo from Bill McNalley at the Denver show. It had the warning label. Bill said it was produced in 1962 and that that was the first year for the warning label and the last year for Savage brand ammo.
Top 1962 Westfield .303 ammo, bottom late Utica production 30-30 that I got from another vendor in Denver.
[Linked Image]
back of the above boxes.
[Linked Image]
David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bill always has a great ammo selection, and a lot of nice 99's. Guy knows his Savage ammo, that's for sure. Beautiful boxes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Child Warning box's are hard to find and that is a nice one. Bill is a good guy. We had a short visit as he passed through town on the way to Denver.

Rick...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found photos of a 1911 can so corrected and updated the above info.

Rick...

C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Rick
What vintage/model is the can pictured?

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
E
ericn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Wow, 1962 they started the child warning label. Never would have guessed that early.

Thank you very much for the info on the can Rick. You have obviously put a lot of effort into your research and learning, I am just getting started. Do I have this straight?
There were at least 2 cans prior to the "#1 for standard and miniature cartridges" first produced in 1899. I assume these were a different label. Not #1?

Then there are three more label variations for the #1 can, 1901, 1903 and 1911. All "not for miniature cartridges".

The #2 can also started in 1901, but was only for "miniature cartridges. Sounds like prior to 1901 they had one powder to do it all, so to speak. In 1901 they introduced 2 powders to to handle the various load requirements.

I am sorry, but you lost me on the amended statement for the 1911 can. Is that a #2 can for the 25-35, 32-40 and 38-55? And not sure what you mean by "why 1911 vs 1904 time frame".
Don't mean to be a pest.

David, those are some really nice boxes. attached a photo to the image gallery of 2 250-3000 boxes I have. Having no luck attaching photos to this thread as you did. One is 2 piece and one is Top Notch, wish they were in as good of shape as yours. Do you know when Savage transitioned from the 2 piece box?

Thank You,
Eric

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ericn

There were at least 2 cans prior to the "#1 for standard and miniature cartridges" first produced in 1899. I assume these were a different label. The earlier #1 can (both Repeating Arms and later Arms) had the info painted on the can, no paper label and a similar but different design than your later can. The #2 cans prior to 1899 were totally different than all others. The 1899 powder was the only that could be used for loading all cartridges.

Then there are three more label variations for the #1 can, 1901, 1903 and 1911. All "not for miniature cartridges".

The #2 can started in 1901, but was only for "miniature cartridges". Sounds like prior to 1901 they had one powder to do it all, so to speak. Only the 1899 powder. In 1901 they again introduced 2 powders to handle the various load requirements.

I am sorry, but you lost me on the amended statement for the 1911 can. Is that a #2 can for the 25-35, 32-40 and 38-55?(no, #1. I have seen no #2 can that listed the .25-35, 32-40 and 38-55 cartridges ) And not sure what you mean by "why 1911 vs 1904 time frame". Savage started loading the .25-35, .32-40 and .38-55 around 1904 so why wait till 1911 to add these to the label?

Rick...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (16penny, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,827
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.