Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So, what are the members' thoughts on the CZ 455 American? I am wanting a walnut stocked, blued, .22 LR bolt action rifle for general use. I used to have a 77/22, and it was a great rifle, but it had one feature I couldn't live with....the bottom of the action was so square that it felt like I was carrying a 2 x 4 when I went for a walkabout with it. So I sold it. Handled a CZ 455 the other day, and even with the slightly past flush magazine, it felt good cradled in the hand. Price isn't bad either. I'm curious to hear from folks who have one of these rifles.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I had an early Combo gun (two barrels, .22 and .17). It never really shot like I thought it should. I sold it. The opportunity came up and I bought a 452 American, which DOES shoot the way I want.
Last year, I picked up a 455 Scout (youth model) and lo and behold, it shoots, and shoots well. It's outshooting the 452 with the current lots of ammo I'm using! It really shoots well. I've since bought a 455 Stainless, and it too is shooting well. By "well", I mean under 3/4" nearly always.
The early 455 I had was an "A" prefix gun, the two latter 455s are "C" prefix. Dunno what that means, except they are shooting better than the first gun. I like the 455s a lot, though that first one made my teeth gnash more than once. Maybe they are getting all the bugs gone now. I'd even bought a .22WMR barrel for it, but none of the three barrels shot worth a hoot.

WIth the right ammo, I'm sure the 452 will outshoot both the Scout and the Stainless gun, but with the common HV stuff (CCI MiniMags and Aguila HV), it's nip and tuck, and usually the Scout wins. Not by much, but it wins.
All three rifles have similar glass, so it's not an optics thing. The little sucker just SHOOTS.
I let the older gun go with a Boyd's stock on it, and kept the American stock for it. I dropped the Scout into the American stock, so it handles better. It makes for a short, light and handy little gun.
I can't seem to get the photo to attach, but it's a cute little thing.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 05/30/18.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info, ratsmacker. How are the triggers? I wasn't able to check that out.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've seriously considered a Ruger American Compact in a 22 Mag several times. I know it's a cheap rifle and the stock is flimsy, but it actually feels pretty good in the hands and the action is smooth and the factory sights are pretty good. And I like the flush mount mag
I'd probably snatch one up if I found a deal on a used one. I actually like the short barrel and short length of pull. Would make a nice boat gun/pack rifle.
But I already got an 883 which is also pretty slick despite it's toy-like bolt handle. And I might be in the minority that I appreciate the tube mag on this rifle also, and the stock shape is very nice fitting and feeling also. Although with it's walnut stock and 22" barrel it's closer in size to the 455, and a good bit longer and about a pound heavier than the little Ruger compact.

None of this probably helps much. But if you like the CZ then get it. They have a good rep for accuracy and usually a decent piece of lumber, and I'm sure a nicer bolt handle than the Marlins. Although I don't much care for that type of magazine on any rifle, but that's just me.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 300_savage
Thanks for the info, ratsmacker. How are the triggers? I wasn't able to check that out.

The 455 has a different geometry than the 452, it's somewhat better on the 455s. If you're really fussy about the triggers, you can swap springs and stuff, and they get pretty good, or use a Timney. I am satisfied with the triggers as-is, they are plenty usable. The Stainless 455 has the best trigger of the three CZs I have now, it was great straight out of the box, but the Scout is pretty decent. The 452 could use a YoDave kit (springs and shims), but I can make it work for now. I sure notice the difference, though.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Again, thanks for the info! Dollarshort, I too like a tube magazine, dropping cartridges in that cartridge shaped slot and hearing them drop takes me back to being a kid again! My grandpa had a Marlin 39 with a 24" barrel and a tubular magazine that held, I think, 18 .22 LR cartridges! But, in the modern bolt action world, I guess I have to settle for a handful of magazines.

Last edited by 300_savage; 05/30/18.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by DollarShort
I've seriously considered a Ruger American Compact in a 22 Mag several times. I know it's a cheap rifle and the stock is flimsy, but it actually feels pretty good in the hands and the action is smooth and the factory sights are pretty good. And I like the flush mount mag
I'd probably snatch one up if I found a deal on a used one. I actually like the short barrel and short length of pull. Would make a nice boat gun/pack rifle.
But I already got an 883 which is also pretty slick despite it's toy-like bolt handle. And I might be in the minority that I appreciate the tube mag on this rifle also, and the stock shape is very nice fitting and feeling also. Although with it's walnut stock and 22" barrel it's closer in size to the 455, and a good bit longer and about a pound heavier than the little Ruger compact.

None of this probably helps much. But if you like the CZ then get it. They have a good rep for accuracy and usually a decent piece of lumber, and I'm sure a nicer bolt handle than the Marlins. Although I don't much care for that type of magazine on any rifle, but that's just me.

I also have two of the Rugers, one is the Predator in .22LR (green stock, stubby barrel) and one of the newer stainless .22Mag. (same stock/barrel configuration in black). To be fair, they shoot fairly well (under an inch at 50 yards, usually), but the CZs outshoot them pretty consistently, in my hands (again, with the same type optics as the CZs), to keep things "fair".
I like the way the Rugers, in that configuration, handle, and with the plastic stocks, I don't care if I take them out in the rain, either. The Rugers are good rifles, but I think the CZs outshoot them, at least with the lots of ammo I'm using now.
Next year's ammo buy might change things, but I doubt it.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 05/30/18.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't doubt the CZ's are good shooters. They mostly have a stellar rep for their accuracy. And nice looking to boot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The "geometry" as you put it, is the reason I was willing to let my 453, a really fine shooter, go and buy my little Ruger RSI. It just felt awkward to me in shooting position. My new 455 SS is much better, and looks to be a better shooter than the 455 I bought when they first came out, which was mediocre with both barrels. My old Luddite nature prefers the 452 with its neat locking lugs, but they're not often available, and never in SS. Guys on RFC chatter about dinking with the barrel setscrew torque, but I'm letting this one be.

Might spring for the walnut stock at some point, and possibly the nifty DIP trigger guard, but also maybe not.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have 455 in Varmint and Fullstock configs. I have bedded and played with the trigger on the Varmint. I would be a very grouchy and unpleasant individual if somebody tried to take them.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
....the bottom of the action was so square that it felt like I was carrying a 2 x 4

Too much wood is a problem easily rectified.

1Minute
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
i loved the ergos of the old remington 504. they just had a peculiar accuracy reputation. the kimbers were the creme de la creme.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I bought a 541S from a member here and will pick it up tomorrow or Monday, depending on when it arrives. Even though I'm left handed and it isn't, I'm really excited to see what it will do.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bought my younger son a CZ 452 ZKM[?] Scout years ago. That damn thing is a shooter! I've been eyeing a CZ 455 "Trainer". Should be pretty good with that 25" barrel. The CZ's are awesome guns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 300_savage
the bottom of the action was so square that it felt like I was carrying a 2 x 4 when I went for a walkabout with it. So I sold it.

I almost feel sorry for guys that never had to build a house, and pack a little lumber, or otherwise work with their hands. For if they had, bishing about the 'feel' of a .22 rifle stock would be way down the list of reasons to have to sell it.....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Have a 455fs. Real accurate, nice handling. Nice trigger, too.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Oneminute, I could have taken off a little wood on that 77/22 stock, but the Ruger rotary magazine is wide enough that I didn't think it would help enough. So, when I got a good offer, I sold it! Everything is a tradeoff....the Ruger rotary is a great magazine, but does necessitate a wider profile to the bottom of the stock. I will happily trade 5 rounds of capacity for the ease of carrying.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
And Huntsman22, I farmed and ranched full time till I was nearly 30. We fed with square bales, that I made and stacked and fed. I still made and stacked square bales till I was in my early 50s. I cleaned cattle sheds in the spring with a wheelbarrow and manure fork, and loaded oats on the truck with a grain scoop, and after getting them rolled, unleaded with the same scoop....a #12b. Used a #10 when shovelling wheat to the auger from the bottom of the grain bins, cause as soft as I was a #12 was just too much smile. I am a schoolteacher now, but still help on the farm in the summers, though we make round bales now and clean the sheds with machinery. What my personal tastes in rifle ergonomics have to do with my "soft life" is a connection I can't quite make.....and I choose not to criticize you for a life I know nothing about. I will keep the rifles I like and sell the ones I don't without consulting with you to see if the choice is a character flaw. I hope that doesn't cause you any loss of sleep or inability to digest your bourbon. And the word "bitching" is correctly spelled with a t and a ch, not an sh.

Last edited by 300_savage; 05/31/18.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have a 455 Lux, which now means a short barreled rifle with a European style stock and American style open sights.
Mine is an excellent shooter with an excellent field trigger - it would have to be a bit lighter and crisper to Ben's serious target trigger.
With target ammo it will shoot tiny little groups at 25 yards. Screwing around with some R50, it shot what was essentially a 1 bullet diameter group at 25.
Never a feeding, extracting, etc problem.

If I were to buy again I would get the American though - its tricky to properly mount a scope on a Lux.

If you can, look at the test target before you buy. I'm not sure if it is simply a function test or an accuracy test, but if you see a good group then the gun is clearly capable.
Mine has an excellent test target but I wasn't able to see it before I picked up.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
sav, you missed my point. If you really pushed as many wheelbarrow loads of chit as you say, your hands wouldn't care what the ruger stock felt like. In fact, a feller would think they'd welcome it as an old and familiar friend......grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
300 Savage, there are lots of great choices these days for great feeling stocks on rimfires IMO. I've been on the " got to get one of each" quest for a while now, but the missus has put her foot down on getting another safe to continue the quest so I've had to slow down a bit... smile

Never been much of a CZ fan and can't quite get the love for the stock ergonomics or the safety, but I'm an old guy and kind of look at the old school guns. I've found real comfort in the older rimfires and for carrying I've found my hands wrap around the older rifles a lot better. My latest favorites have been Winchester 69A, Winchester 75 Sporter, Remington 541S and 541T, and a Repro 52 Sporter. A buddy has a couple Kimber of Oregon 82 that I have been lusting after since shooting them. The Win 52, Kimber 82's have triggers to make a man smile, the 541S is very acceptable and the 69A/75 Sporter are very good but not target grade by any means. However, accuracy for all of them is more than acceptable by any standard and the wood on them all is outstanding IMO.

About the only thing that separates the bunch is budget and taste....

Huntsman, you're not making any fans here. I grew up in construction and just retired from 40 years as an electrician so I've handled a few 2 x 4 's as well as a lot of other construction items. Wanting a well crafted gunstock and rifle to carry in the woods isn't necessarily related to one's chosen field as much as you would apparently wish to infer. In other words, just because I carry a 2 x 4 (or anything else for that matter) at work doesn't mean I want to carry one in the woods....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the info. What I like about this site is learning from the experiences and observations of others who have worked with a rifle that I have not. Sheister, some of those older .22s are wonderful! While I will probably get the CZ for a working/knockabout rifle, I have always hankered for a Winchester 52....sure think they are pretty.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're like a lot of us, it won't be long and you'll have a whole safe full of rimfires......;)

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
300 Savage; I too was looking to buy a CZ 455 American back in Jan. 2017 because I gave up trying to talk my buddy into selling me his CZ 452. Was at the gun shop that carried CZ's and they had recently got in another shipment with some 455's in it. So I looked at a few others just out of curiosity. Wound up getting a CZ 455 Varmint Thumbhole Fluted in 22LR. That particular variant had been discontinued but their distributor still had some in the warehouse. That thumbhole stock seems to have been custom made to my dimensions and I was never a big fan of them but I am now. The 455 also seems to shoot as good as my buddies 452. IMHO a CZ would make an excellent working/knockabout rifle because that's basically what mine is if working includes squirrel hunting and knockabout includes plinking and other small game and range use. Perhaps someday I might even have a Winchester 52 also...... Fellow I know is getting to that point in life where he wants to thin out the collection. He's got a beautiful 52 inherited from an older relative years ago and it might just come up for sale. I guess Sheister is correct..... I might just eventually wind up with a safe full of rimfires.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
CZ 452 American is hard to beat , I have the Style model with nickel finish . Shoots every ammo I've loaded in it really well . Weaver 3x9- rimfire classic , Burris Signature rings make for a fine all around 22lr.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just to toss a wrench into the gears, don't forget to look at the Keystone Sporter, and the other Keystone models. No one has mentioned them here, but they are gaining a good reputation amongst the folks on rimfirecentral.com. They have some "grown-up sized" rifles that aren't getting any press, but are pretty nice rifles. I've looked at them, and they seem to be very well built rifles. Prices are in line with CZs, and less than some other brands like the Browning T-Bolts.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just looked at the Keystones on their webpage...might have to give them a harder look. My purchase will be a carry-along rifle, for trips to the farm, general tin can thinning out (overpopulated, got to do it), and maybe some cottontail hunting in the winter. It won't be abused, but it will be used! Then, there is always the need for a 9422 or a Marlin 39......but I'd probably baby one of those too much.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Rimfirecentral.com. has some good posts on the CZ 455. Go to the CZ/ BRNO section. I have a CZ 452 American 22 LR ( not a 455, but an earlier cousin of the 455). My 452 is a jewel of precision. Very accurate. I would have to believe the 455 is similar.

Last edited by buttstock; 06/04/18.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
We enjoy shooting RF and have informal shoots weekly. Based on our personal experience we do make a suggestion if asked. The suggestion is to buy a CZ452 and a box of CCI Standard Velocity cartridges. I have no experience with the 455 so no comment. My rifle is the old 452 Trainer. My shooting partner shoots a 452 with the full length stock. Once you start shooting RF's there's a clear chance you'll start to accumulate.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Accumulate. Ha. It is a madness with no cure.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
[quote=papat]Accumulate. Ha. It is a madness with no cure. [/quote

You have that right, once you start shooting decent rimfires, it goes straight to "disease status".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by papat
It is a madness with no cure.

Yep, before you know it you're dropping $1500 bucks on a KIDD, or worse...a Vudoo. shocked

Last edited by skeen; 06/14/18.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have one...accuracy wasn't as good as I was hoping for, but good enough to to kill a squirrel 9 out of 10 times. My winchester 320 is more accurate.

Last edited by killerv; 06/14/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have found the Browning reproductions of the Win M52 Sporter to be very accurate.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The Repo Winchester / Browning / Mirokus 52's are usually quite accurate....but they are "clunkers" in my opinion. I have had several. I have 1 for sale on the forum now.

The CZ's are ok....they are like 57 chevys lotsa aftermarket parts available. Don't have a 455 but several 452's . All the quality the Czechs can muster.

Now Annies..... another story

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have no doubt that a 455 would be a nice rifle. I would however get a 452 or 453 while I still could. I think they will be the desired rifles to have in 20 more years.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I've had Brno Mod 1's through the 455's. IMO the best carrying and shooting one is the Mod 1, followed by the 452.

A Sako Finnfire P94s will make you smile every time you handle it. Beautiful wood, feels like a vixen or forester coming to the shoulder, great trigger, shoots everything well including the Aquila 30 gr. Hypervelocity. The rest won't feel the same after you shoot one.

Sheister, I'm with you on the older rimfires. I'm partial to the beehive Remingtons. I've had about all of them, 512 is my favorite of those. It's what I learned to shoot on.

Last edited by luckyguy; 07/08/18.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (Akhutr, 10Glocks, batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,226
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.